After I ran Precise CD, Windows is not running anymore

Booting, installing, newbie
rui241256

After I ran Precise CD, Windows is not running anymore

#1 Post by rui241256 »

I ran Puppy Precise from CD on my Samsung RC530 , I did not install Puppy on the hard drive but saved the configuration for next start on the hard drive.
Puppy run very well, but after when I tried to run windows it didnt start and after a recovery from Samsung software , windows is not stable and do not work , it cannot even to recover from a restaur point.
File sistem on windows do not work.
Pls Help

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

About how old is the Samsung laptop and which version of Windows?

Ted Dog

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

If it can't run reboot puppy and bring up gparted. DO NOT CHANGE any thing see if NTFS is corrupt, While it is rare a save file on a already corrupt NTFS file system can make it worse. There is a command line command in linux to force windows to do a corruption check/cleaning on next boot off hand I can't recall but it starts with ntfs.
This is why I never save anything to my c-drive. One hickup and you're toast. Guess you like me learned the hard way :cry:

PeterRJG

#4 Post by PeterRJG »

Does Windows do a chkdsk when it boots up? Or does it give you a NTLDR not found error?

Let us know.

hobbit

#5 Post by hobbit »

I have had problems in the past when I've copied something from Puppy (frugal on USB stick) to my windows HDD. When I rebooted into Windows the files were not there.

Fortunately it was on a partition that had been created specifically for Puppy/Windows file exchange. A chkdsk on the partition revealed lots of lost clusters.

After some head scratching I realised - I had hibernated windows, then rebooted into Puppy. After Puppy copied the files and I re-booted into Windows (which of course "woke up" from hibernation), its directory entries were out of step with reality. And the Puppy copied files did not exist.

The windows chkdsk sorted out the directory entries (technically, probably the FAT table, but I don't wanna show my ignorance!!!)

The lesson I had learned was NEVER to hibernate windows if I was then going to boot Puppy and copy files on to a windows partition. Shut windows down completely and there is no problem. Clearly it sorts itself out much better from "cold".

As this was not the main bootable partition, I was easily able to recover from the situation.

Perhaps rui241256 did the same thing? Except unfortunately his was on the windows partition?

I wonder if there is such a thing as a Linux chkdsk equivalent that can safely handle (presumably) an NTFS file system. That would be the fix I imagine. Ted Dogs fix sounds even better.

Unless he is lucky and the borked file system is FAT 32 - that might increase the quantity of Linux tools that can safely fix it?

I am afraid I am guessing wildly at this stage.

However, regardless of whether I am right or wrong in how it happened in this specific case, my experiences above are still fact (although the details are slightly hazy since it happened about 4 years ago!), so for those of us that still have windows, always make sure you completely shut it down before booting into Puppy. Since I've obeyed that rule I have had no further problems copying files from Puppy to the windows hdd.
I survived "The Grind"

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Since rui already tried to use the recovery feature of his computer and it didn't work, the attempt probably changed things enough that it's probably not going to be possible to repair with something as simple as chkdsk. :( Still, it can't hurt anything to try.

8-bit

#7 Post by 8-bit »

Are you sure you do not have one of those bad samsung laptops that were in the news for bricking if one tried to boot any other operating system on it?
I ask because you never went into specifics as to what happened when you tried to reboot to windows.
Also, since the problem is a known issue, you might be able to get the laptop repaired or replaced by the dealer.

The reference I saw was here.

An excerpt from the article is :

Samsung laptops including the 530U3C, NP700Z7C, NP700Z5C, and 300E5C series are among those believed to be affected.

Ted Dog

#8 Post by Ted Dog »

:shock: Ouch Samsung is off my list of possible laptop replacement units. Glad most of those 'transition' machines using UEFI also have a way to boot normal good-old BIOS. :?

hobbit

#9 Post by hobbit »

Flash wrote:Since rui already tried to use the recovery feature of his computer and it didn't work, the attempt probably changed things enough that it's probably not going to be possible to repair with something as simple as chkdsk. :( Still, it can't hurt anything to try.
Oops! Missed that bit. :oops:
I survived "The Grind"

mikeslr

EaseUS Partition Recovery

#10 Post by mikeslr »

Hi,

I don't know of a way to fix Windows from Puppy. Neither have I tried creating a rescue disk under Wine. And having worked with BartPE know that creating such rescue disk (in Windows) is almost as time consuming as re-installing Windows. That said, In theory it can be done. http://www.ehow.com/how_8686195_run-bartpe-ubuntu.html to include EaseUS Partition Recovery.http://www.easeus.com/partition-recover ... covery.htm.
But: (1) If you have access to another computer which runs windows and the windows installation disk creating a rescue disk on that computer would be less theoretical; and its use preferable to loosing the data on your Windows Drive.
(2) If you have to reinstall Windows, you can use Puppy first to access and move your data.
And (3) Since Windows is bootable and only unstable, after copying your data to a different drive in preparation of reinstalling Windows, you have nothing to loose by using Puppy to copy EaseUS Partition Recovery software, http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Partiti ... 79786.html to your windows partition, booting into Windows, installing and running it.

Needless to say, I've used EaseUS Partition Recovery myself with success.

mikesLr