Puppy Linux Windows Installer - LICK v1.3.3 released

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
noryb009

#221 Post by noryb009 »

Is there one part of the boot process that the computer stays on for a while (longer then usual)? What is on the screen at that time?

mtiqbal

#222 Post by mtiqbal »

At login [...]:root [tty1] screen there is about a minute delay.

At starting X .... screen delay is about 2 minutes.

During the delays HD is busy (led is on). This should not happen.

noryb009

#223 Post by noryb009 »

Those two parts happen after the part that the windows installer controls, so it's unlikely that the windows installer is causing the slowdown. The best thing to do is probably post the problem in the users forum.

I'm guessing that the problem is with X starting up. When you boot up, go to"Start Puppy Linux", press escape, (I think you have to select "OK" or something here), highlight Puppy 550 PAE, press e, change "pfix=fsck" to "pfix=fsck,nox". The startup will leave you at a terminal. If you get to this point quickly, and the hard drive light is not on, then the problem is X starting up. At this stage, type "xwin", followed by an enter. If X takes a long time to start, the problem is definitely X starting up.

mtiqbal

#224 Post by mtiqbal »

No. Problem is not with X start up since it works fine without 4fs file. Problem is with the installer and login. I have reinstalled 5.4 PAE Opera on one of my computer and it has no such issue. It works fine and fast with or without 4fs file.

noryb009

#225 Post by noryb009 »

No. Problem is not with X start up since it works fine without 4fs file. Problem is with the installer and login.
The problem is X starting up the second time, after the save file has been created.

The simplest solution is to just stay at 5.4 PAE Opera, or to install 5.5 another way. However, if you still want to use the windows installer, can you try what I posted in my last post?
Last edited by noryb009 on Mon 01 Apr 2013, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.

danneauxs

No idea how to make my own exe

#226 Post by danneauxs »

OK, I admit the directions were a bit to essoteric for me. Prob if I had half an idea what I was doing they would but clueless so I did my own cludge to load the puppy verision I wanted.

I add puppies to my linux machine simply by making a directory, copying the proper files into it and adding an entry to my grub.

Basically I did the same thing on my windows machine thanks to the windows installer. I simply installed one of the pre-compiled installers which did all the work (grub4dos) for me. I make a folder, copy the puppy files from the ISO I'm testing that day and add an entry to the menu.lst. Done and easy.

I'll prob ask for help making my own exe in a while so I can take my favorite pup to install on friends windows pc's.

Thanks
Danneauxs

shinobar

Windows 8 support

#227 Post by shinobar »

Hello.
How about supporting Windows 8?
I guess we need to use the 'compatible mode' on Windows 8.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

noryb009

#228 Post by noryb009 »

I tried to add windows 8 support before, but there were a lot of glitches when running it in virtual box, so I decided to leave it. I tried it again today, and it seems to be working. I've made the changes but I've only tested it on 32-bit, without UEFI or secure boot. I'm pretty sure it will work fine with 64-bit, but I'm not sure about secure boot when it is enabled.

If someone can test it on 64-bit or with UEFI/secure boot, that would be appreciated! I've compiled an installer for pUPnGO (~7MB), or you can make your own installer from the code here.

shinobar

Re: Windows 8 support

#229 Post by shinobar »

Thanks noryb009 for the quick response on the Windows 8 support.

Unfortunately I have no Windows 8 yet.
But I tried merging your code with PIC-NLS with Japanese.nsh to support Windows 8.
One more thing, i add *.4fs at Uninstall in the main.nsi.

http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/test/

noryb009

#230 Post by noryb009 »

Hopefully somebody who has windows 8 will find it and try it out.
Thanks, I've added this.

EDIT:
But I tried merging your code with PIC-NLS with Japanese.nsh to support Windows 8.
I've added NLS support to the main code base, but have not yet added any translations. If you want to not have to merge future code to your fork and benefit the main code at the same time, you can make a translation file here, then send it to me.

rodin.s

Russian translation

#231 Post by rodin.s »

I have made Russian translation.
Attachments
Russian.nsh.gz
(1.17 KiB) Downloaded 440 times

noryb009

#232 Post by noryb009 »

Thank you, rodin.s!
Attachments
Russian.png
(70.72 KiB) Downloaded 35913 times

shinobar

Windows 8 and Japanese support

#233 Post by shinobar »

shinobar wrote:Thanks noryb009 for the quick response on the Windows 8 support.

Unfortunately I have no Windows 8 yet.

http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/test/
There is the Japanese translation: PIC-NLS-win8-2013-05-12.tar.gz

Made Puppy-Linux-549JP03.exe (test release).
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?pu ... cise/test/
I tested t on the Windows 8 enterprise both 32bit/64bit and works OK.

noryb009

#234 Post by noryb009 »

It's great that it works on 64-bit! Do you know if the computers you tried it on had UEFI or secure boot enabled?

shinobar

UEFI boot

#235 Post by shinobar »

noryb009 wrote:Do you know if the computers you tried it on had UEFI or secure boot enabled?
I tried on the VmPlayer with 'firmware="efi'. The installer maybe worked correctly (see the bcd entries below),
But it fails to boot up puppy. :cry:
I suppose the grub4dos is not compatible with UEFI.
Attachments
win8bcd.png
The bcd entries shown by the bcdedit on Windows 8 (64bit)
(6.26 KiB) Downloaded 1038 times

noryb009

#236 Post by noryb009 »

Thanks for testing UEFI. I'll look into ways we can get it to work.

noryb009

#237 Post by noryb009 »

Precise Puppy Linux 560 has been uploaded, see the link in the first post.

It includes Windows 8 support when BIOS is enabled (not UEFI yet) and secure boot off.

I did not include the Russian translation, as I still need to do a bit more testing with it (I was going to include it, then found a mistake in the code, so I skipped it for now). It will probably be enabled in the next build.

don570

#238 Post by don570 »

All Macintosh computers using Intel chips use UEFI and many users
run Windows on their mac computer. So if you can get the installer to
work on a Mac computer running windows that would be quite an
achievement.

noryb009

#239 Post by noryb009 »

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't know if I could get that to work. If it works once UEFI support for windows is added, great. If it doesn't, I won't spend any time on it, as I don't have access to a mac.

01micko

#240 Post by 01micko »

Sorry for OT noryb009, but to address don570's concern with mac computers:

My wife has a recent macbook air, purchased at the beginning of this year. I stumbled upon someone booting Fedora off a usb stick on their macbook air here. According to that articele, it boots no problem from a FAT usb stick holding down the "Option" key.

I decided to try this with a stick I had lying around that had PHATSlacko on it on and f2fs drive, using syslinux to boot from a FAT partition. It failed. But, I had another stick lying around that used grub4dos as the boot loader, all the puppy RO files on a FAT partition but the save file on f2fs and it booted and ran perfectly, all devices recognised. No reason I can think of that it wouldn't work on other pups or macs. (macbook pro, imac). F2fs would not be necessary, just FAT and booting with grub/grub4dos.

When I get more time I will go into this further (in another thread).
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access