iso not burning properly

Booting, installing, newbie
mickeblue

iso not burning properly

#1 Post by mickeblue »

Anyone got any idea on this? I originally tried burning the iso file to cd using Nero5, and if you look at this image you will see the problem I'm getting ~ http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/ ... /puppy.gif ~ the file "intro" is in zip format.

Well after a bit more wandering around I got hold of a copy of BurnCDCC, downloaded a clean copy of the 2.10iso ( this is the version recommended by a friend ) and had another go this morning using BCDCC... and guess what? Yep, it burnt exactly the same disk.

Needless to say attempts to boot from this baby result in a "failure to read file" error. I really want to give this a try so any and all suggestions would be welcome ( besides hurling the pc out of an upstairs window... I thought of that one myself :roll: ).

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

everything looks ok in your picture

the file is initrd.gz ... it is the file system that is loaded to the ram drive when Puppy first boots (initial ram drive = initrd) ... it is compressed with gzip ... your Win os has .gz files associated with Winzip ... you have your file manager configured to not show common file extensions

why it won't boot, i don't know ... the cd might be corrupted, but it might not be ... if the cd will boot on other machines, then the cd is probably ok

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

make sure you have a valid download

use md5sum on the iso file you downloaded
and check with the given text
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Definitely try to boot the CD on some other machines, to see if it was burned properly.

mickeblue

#5 Post by mickeblue »

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I don't begin to understand Checksum, but it came back with this ~ 60b416030e79bfddf0cf379171e01fd5 *puppy-2.10-seamonkey.iso ~ and the error report didn't list any errors.

It could be my machine, this one has always been a bit weird, but I don't have another to hand to try the cd on. :cry:

If I could figure out a way to partition this flaming drive (NFTS) I'd go for one of the bigger build and bang it on the HD. That's one of the reasons that I like the idea of running Puppy, I've been told that I could use GPart to make some partitions to achieve just that.

mickeblue

#6 Post by mickeblue »

Never mind... my Brother Eyes Only has seen what the problem is and is going to post me some clean disks :lol: Jimmimac Rules OK?