Acer c7 chromebook and puppy

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
headfound

Acer c7 chromebook and puppy

#1 Post by headfound »

I'm really interested in getting one of these

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/de ... html#specs

but would obviously want puppy on it! Its possible to dual boot in 'developer mode' but is a long winded process to have to do every time.
This guy

http://chromeos-cr48.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... drive.html

has written a script to get ubuntu installed to a sd card or flash drive.
I've looked through it but even with the annotations i can't figure out whats going on. Could it be adapted for puppy?
Download a better Computer :)
[url=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rDTLJYDHX3g]Puppy Linux Song[/url]
[url=http://www.letterbyletter.co.uk]www.letterbyletter.co.uk[/url]

Ray MK

#2 Post by Ray MK »

Hi headfound

$199 (£130) is the most you should pay for this.

Deff. not worth more considering the hassle involved in booting Puppy or any other OS. One mistake in developer mode could brick the thing.

For a similar sum (£130 / £150 ish) you can easily buy a proper nearly new netbook with (win7 / xp / linux) preinstalled that can be easily made to multiboot Puppy or any other similar OS.

Apart from the dev-mode nonsense - it looks like it is a nice item.

HTH - best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

Crash

#3 Post by Crash »

I'm actually pretty interested in the device. It gets good ratings and is available in the retail stores. It looks like the closest incarnation of the OLPC that I've seen. Since it can be re-installed with Ubuntu, I would think Puppy Linux would be a good candidate. If I get one, I'll mess around with it and give you a report.

/// Edited Saturday March 23 ///

After doing a little window shopping, I'm coming to the conclusion that the Acer Chromebook isn't as available as I thought. The stores may have demos, which you can play with, but they seem to be out of stock. You can order it on line and pick it up in the store. But as far as just picking one up, I was out of luck.

The Acer Chromebook also looks suspiciously like its Aspire One product, only at a lower price. I suppose the difference in price is simply the difference between a "free" operating system (Chrome) and one that costs money (Windows 7 or 8 ).

In contrast, the Samsung Chromebook did seem to be in stock at several stores. It actually falls more in line with the OLPC concept, because its processor is very low power, negating the need for a fan, and increasing the battery life. However, it uses an ARM processor, so getting Puppy Linux on it would be even more difficult. Also, it is more expensive, and that was a deal breaker for me.

So I'm still on the quest for the ultimate economy notebook computer. I'm sure that if I wait long enough, someone will dream it up and start selling it.

/// Second edit April 22 ///

I picked up an Acer Chromebook, and messed around with it. It wasn't for me. Luckily, the store I bought it from had a really good return policy...

The Chrome operating system is OK, but it isn't very friendly as far as dual booting is concerned. I'm used to being able to just push "del" or something at the bootup screen to access a boot menu. No such luck on this computer. It's strictly how the BIOS operates - you'd think it would be more friendly, but it isn't. Oh well, the search goes on...

gasem

#4 Post by gasem »

I bought one of these to play with. I put a 64g ssd and 8 gb of memory. The machine runs great and the chrome os is actually pretty interesting from a consumer point of view. I'm going to set it up mostly as a simple laptop for my wife to use. The chrome os has great connectivity with cell phones and tablets to create and carry data with you on different devices automatically. My impression is it would be pretty hard to brick as long as you have a backup of the os on a flash drive