Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
elroy

#621 Post by elroy »

inoxidabile wrote:HELP !
Today I started Carolina and everything seemed ok, but Fiefox doesn't run :(
The Internet connection is ok, I tried e.g. to update repos and then I see that it's ok then it's only about Firefox...
Launching firefox from terminal it says
XPCOMGlueLoaderror for file /usr/lib/firefox/libxpcom.so:
libxul.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.

I didn't do anything of strange, after the installation I only turn on the pc, surf on web and then I switch off (with the command icon, of course).
I don't know how it's happen but, in every case... what can I do? Should I reinstall Firefox? In this case, what is the right procedure?
It isn't available in Package manager...
I'm very sad... :cry: please, help me...
Hi inoxidabile,

Due to the fact that Carolina uses glibc-2.10, Firefox-18.0 won't run on it. If you've updated Firefox from the browser's 'About' menu entry, it will fail when subsequently trying to run it. Firefox-16.01 is in the PPM; you could try reinstalling it, and if that doesn't do the trick you may need to delete your save file and start fresh.

sheldonisaac

Firefox problem

#622 Post by sheldonisaac »

elroy wrote:
inoxidabile wrote:HELP !
Today I started Carolina and everything seemed ok, but Fiefox doesn't run.
Hi inoxidabile,

Due to the fact that Carolina uses glibc-2.10, Firefox-18.0 won't run on it.
Probably the fillowing will not be of help?
I just booted lina-lite, and see that Opera is version 12.02; it's "mounted" via /mnt/home/opera-12.02-1578.i386.opt.sfs

inoxidabile

#623 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi elroy,
first of all, thank You very much for Your quick answer.

I'm blind, now I find firefox in PPM, I was looking for it in pet and not in sfs... :)
Anyway, The trick of reinstall doesn't solve the problem and then I think it's better to start fresh as You suggested.
But, please, believe me, I didn't upgrade ... :oops:
Update: exactly now my daughter are telling me that, after opening firefox, it started an upgrade but without asking for a confirmation...
Is it possible that the update starts automatically? if it's true, it would be a problem...
I don't know if her tales is true or not, however, I will install all as fresh and new :? and I'll tell You if it will happen again.
I tried also to install Opera but it seems to have some little bug... To speak frankly, I didn't go on to check Opera because I don't like it :)

However it will be, thanks once again :)

Just an other point: in PPM there are four repos available but in the update windows there are five, because there is also puppy-4

Hi sheldonisaac, thanks for Your suggestion, it isn't clear for me Your suggestion but I prefer to "start fresh", I don't know what happened today on pc during my absence... :lol:

elroy

#624 Post by elroy »

inoxidabile wrote:Hi elroy,
first of all, thank You very much for Your quick answer.

I'm blind, now I find firefox in PPM, I was looking for it in pet and not in sfs... :)
Anyway, The trick of reinstall doesn't solve the problem and then I think it's better to start fresh as You suggested.
But, please, believe me, I didn't upgrade ... :oops:
Update: exactly now my daughter are telling me that, after opening firefox, it started an upgrade but without asking for a confirmation...
Is it possible that the update starts automatically? if it's true, it would be a problem...
I don't know if her tales is true or not, however, I will install all as fresh and new :? and I'll tell You if it will happen again.
I tried also to install Opera but it seems to have some little bug... To speak frankly, I didn't go on to check Opera because I don't like it :)

However it will be, thanks once again :)

Just an other point: in PPM there are four repos available but in the update windows there are five, because there is also puppy-4

Hi sheldonisaac, thanks for Your suggestion, it isn't clear for me Your suggestion but I prefer to "start fresh", I don't know what happened today on pc during my absence... :lol:
Hi inoxidabile,

The only way that Firefox will 'auto-update' is if someone were to click on (from within the Firefox browser) 'Help' --> 'About Firefox'. Firefox would then auto-update to the latest version which currently won't run on Carolina due to the use of libc-2.10. If done in this manner, Firefox would not ask for conformation before beginning the update process.

EDIT: This is of no fault of your own, or your daughter...at the time of the Carolina-005 release, we felt that this would be beneficial. But in hind-sight, it didn't work out as such. To the contrary, I apologize for the fact that you'll need to delete your save file and start fresh.

inoxidabile

#625 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi elroy,

thank You for the explanations about Firefox.

I tried some Puppy derivatives prior to install, I liked the concept of a "Saluki-ready to use" and its performances, behavior, etc. fit my need.
Nothing is perfect, of course, so I'll reinstall Carolina because I still like it and, please, no need of any apologies... I had a problem and You answered me quickly, then it's ok for me. :)
So, thanks again to You... I've seen there is a remaster tool, maybe after the next install, I'll make my personalized copy - just in case... :)

inoxidabile

#626 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi elroy, I made a new fresh install and now everything is fine. :D

After some experience I did in these past days, I would send some notes, hoping they will be useful for others and for improvements in future release.

Anyway, this is the list of the point I found till now:
- Starting from CD, the first row at bottom of screen isn't visible (I remembered that F3 shows a normal text white on black and then I did in this way).
- A couple of messages during boot (on a frugal install type) say "filesystem=ext2fs partition type 083"... it seems strange, because all the drive has been formatted as ext3 and also the save file has been choosed on ext3.
- Certain apps takes about five seconds to start (e.g. Firefox) but there isn't any signal indicating that it's loading. :? The same happens at shutdown, it takes some time, while nothing happens and then there is the temptation to think "what's happening wrong?" :?
- In the update of repos there is also puppy4 but it isn't present in the pet list in PPM. Moreover, if the Saluki (and maybe other...) package are compatible, why they aren't available in PPM?
- In remastering tool (let me say it's a great tool! :) ) it could be wise to suggest to not use the root-home because, if the size of personal file is small the system could have problems.
- The acpitool remains in powersave even if not needed, could it be corrected or the only way is as suggested in a post by rg66 ? (that's equal to not have it).
-A question: how can I have a screensaver (just to avoid the blank screen after some time of inactivity) but without setup password?
Lastly, there is the topic I've seen about Firefox, a corruption or a variation could require a fresh install, maybe it could be able to happen to other programs.

Please, I would like to underline once again that Carolina is still the better for my needs :) as I said in my previous post and then I installed it again. :D

elroy

#627 Post by elroy »

Ok, let's take on your questions one at a time...
inoxidabile wrote:- Starting from CD, the first row at bottom of screen isn't visible (I remembered that F3 shows a normal text white on black and then I did in this way).
Can't speak to this since I've never experienced it on my setup.
inoxidabile wrote:- A couple of messages during boot (on a frugal install type) say "filesystem=ext2fs partition type 083"... it seems strange, because all the drive has been formatted as ext3 and also the save file has been choosed on ext3.
Carolina has been developed on ext4. I don't know if using it will fix the issue, but it's worth a try.
inoxidabile wrote:- Certain apps takes about five seconds to start (e.g. Firefox) but there isn't any signal indicating that it's loading. :? The same happens at shutdown, it takes some time, while nothing happens and then there is the temptation to think "what's happening wrong?" :?
I'll keep this in mind moving forward. Carolina is a bit of a pig; because of it's size, it's a bit sluggish by Puppy standards. Perhaps in future versions, I'll add notifications for longer-starting apps.
inoxidabile wrote:- In the update of repos there is also puppy4 but it isn't present in the pet list in PPM. Moreover, if the Saluki (and maybe other...) package are compatible, why they aren't available in PPM?
The Saluki packages are included in the Carolina repo, along with many other pet additions not available in the Saluki repo. The reason that the Saluki repo isn't offered is because of this, and due to the fact that some of the pets offered in the Saluki repo have been modified to work with Carolina. In short, the Carolina repo includes all of Saluki's, and then some, modified to work with Carolina. As far as Puppy4 packages are concerned, at one time a user could enter the PPM configuration and choose which repo's they'd like displayed (5 repos max). Somehow, that got lost in the transition. I'll have to look into that; the ability to choose the Puppy4 repose should be available, but obviously at present it is not.
inoxidabile wrote:- In remastering tool (let me say it's a great tool! :) ) it could be wise to suggest to not use the root-home because, if the size of personal file is small the system could have problems.
If you're refering to the 'custom-builder' tool, yes, it's the bomb. It's very flexible, and even allows for swapping out the kernel. Again, in future releases, I'll keep in mind your advice.
inoxidabile wrote:- The acpitool remains in powersave even if not needed, could it be corrected or the only way is as suggested in a post by rg66 ? (that's equal to not have it).
The Carolina acpitool is currently configured to default to powersave on laptops with no ac-power, and turbo otherwise; however, it should be configurable if using ac-power. Perhaps you need to enable the correct driver using the Control Panel-->Hardware-->CPU Frequency Scaling Tool. You may have to do a Google search to find the correct driver to use for your setup, but it should be adjustable.
inoxidabile wrote:-A question: how can I have a screensaver (just to avoid the blank screen after some time of inactivity) but without setup password?
Lastly, there is the topic I've seen about Firefox, a corruption or a variation could require a fresh install, maybe it could be able to happen to other programs.
Honestly, I cannot answer this question due to the fact that I don't use a screensaver. The underlying workings are the same as they would be with Saluki - in otherwords, concerning a screensaver, nothing should've changed from Saluki to Carolina. Hopefully someone more clued-up on this subject can contribute to this thread concerning this matter. As far as other applications trying to update, as far as we know, Firefox is the only one that does so.

inoxidabile

#628 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi elroy,
thank You for the answer and related explanations (and Your patience for this ! )

notifications for long starting apps
Please, don't worry, this absence isn't a problem only on Carolina... :)

ext2 messages
All is functioning well and then it's ok, so by my side I consider it as a "nice thing" and nothing more... :)

acpitool
I believed that setting it as "turbo", it remains in this way, but it reverts to powersave at every boot. :?
OK, I'll have a look to frequency scaling tool... if I remember well, the value was right yet, the setting is at the max available for the cpu.

screensaver
My question is due this behavior... after some time of inactivity the screen becomes black :? to be honest, I don't know why, maybe it's some other strange setup in monitor/tv... I'll look better to find the cause :)

Finally, thanks to You and the others involved in Carolina/Saluki for the graeat job done :)

don570

#629 Post by don570 »

I converted Extract-pet and Bulldog finder
so they would show in right click menu rather than SendTo menu.

elroy

Carolina - 0.0.6-rc

#630 Post by elroy »

The release candidate for Carolina, version 006-rc, is available in the repo. See the first post of this thread for the download link.

ally

#631 Post by ally »

hey elroy

running smoothly on initial install to lenovo t61

correctly configured display, sound and ethernet, downloaded a few sample progs from ppm

looks really nice

:)

**edit - clicking *.xls file did not open spreadsheet, able to open from libre calc ok though **
Last edited by ally on Fri 22 Mar 2013, 13:58, edited 2 times in total.

inoxidabile

#632 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi elroy,
I'm very happy Carolina is going on :)

I apologize for my answer, but I obtained a good result with 0.0.5 and several setup, nVidia driver, and so on , so I would like to start again from scratch...

Could You kindly suggest me how to try the new (and future) release?

Thank You in advance! :)

rg66

#633 Post by rg66 »

inoxidabile wrote:Hi elroy, Could You kindly suggest me how to try the new (and future) release?

Thank You in advance! :)
Go to the first post and click the 006-rc link, either download the complete ISO or get lina-005.iso___lina-006-rc.iso.delta and use xdelta from utilities with the delta and the 005 ISO to generate the new one.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

GoneSouth

Clementine

#634 Post by GoneSouth »

Clementine seg faulted
will try another download

elroy

Re: Clementine

#635 Post by elroy »

GoneSouth wrote:Clementine seg faulted
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I don't think it's your ISO download that's bad; I got the segfault, too. I re-installed the Clementine pet from the repo and that fixed the issue - it ran as expected. Why it segfaults from the ISO isn't known at present, but that will be addressed for the next release. In the meantime the simple fix is to re-install Clementine from the repo.

Geoffrey

Re: Clementine

#636 Post by Geoffrey »

elroy wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:Clementine seg faulted
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I don't think it's your ISO download that's bad; I got the segfault, too. I re-installed the Clementine pet from the repo and that fixed the issue - it ran as expected. Why it segfaults from the ISO isn't known at present, but that will be addressed for the next release. In the meantime the simple fix is to re-install Clementine from the repo.
The Clementine binary is only 208bytes, it should be 10meg and /usr/share/clementine/projectm-presets is missing files.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Colonel Panic

#637 Post by Colonel Panic »

Just been trying 0.0.6-rc, and it's looking good. It's the first distro I've used so far which has Libre Office 4, for a start :)
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

elroy

#638 Post by elroy »

We're currently busy working on the upcoming release version of Carolina, and have come up with a way to enable you to partake in the bug-testing if you wish to do so.

We've created delta files that are equivalent to 'nightly-snapshots'; although this is a misnomer, because they would be more accurately be called 'periodic-snapshots'.

The 'snapshot' deltas and md5sums are located here. The deltas create ISOs that are differentiated by date. There are two md5sums - one for the delta file itself, and one for the ISO that it creates. In this way, you are welcome to participate in helping to create a very solid release version. If you don't know how to create an ISO from a delta file, Geoffrey has created a nice tutorial that you can find here. Your feedback is most welcome. From this you will be able to see the progression that we are moving towards regarding the release version, and have a direct input in the testing stage.

You will also find a text file in that directory titled 'change_log'. Download it and you'll be able to track, by date, the current changes that are being made in relation to the specific delta files (again, differentiated by the date of change). In this way you will be able to see which bugs and additions have been addressed, etc.

Please note that all of the 'snapshot' deltas will be build off of the latest 'official' ISO release, lina-006-rc.iso. And too, being that these deltas are experimental, they should be treated as volatile...no guarantee of usability, etc. While we will do our best to ensure that they are as sane as possible, being that they are experimental in nature, we can't guarantee their usability.

umair

Re: Carolina - 0.0.6-rc

#639 Post by umair »

Hello Elroy:
Testing your carolina 0.0.6-rc. Looking very solid. Nice work you done as you did before ;-). keep it up. One thing I have to mention that every time when I open package manager, its takes 5 to 6 seconds to load, which is very unusual (Never face this in any version of saluki or previous version of carolina), Also tell me about the future release of Carolina.
Thnx in advance.
Regards
UMAIR

Geoffrey

Re: Carolina - 0.0.6-rc

#640 Post by Geoffrey »

umair wrote:One thing I have to mention that every time when I open package manager, its takes 5 to 6 seconds to load, which is very unusual
umair, there is a checkbox top left of the package manager, this turns off the auto updater for the Carolina repo, the reason it was added is that we often update the repo, so when the manager is first run it will give you the latest Carolina software updates. :)
Attachments
PPM.jpg
(92.46 KiB) Downloaded 562 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]