How to burn files > 4.5 Gb in Puppy? (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Rattlehead

How to burn files > 4.5 Gb in Puppy? (Solved)

#1 Post by Rattlehead »

What's the usual way to burn into a DVD a file of more than 4.5 Gb? (The DVD capacity is supposed to be 4.7, but above 4.5. Pburn gives an error). :roll:

ally

#2 Post by ally »

from pburn docs:

"Do keep in mind that 4.7GB are salesman's GB, i.e. 1000 and not 1024. If translated to "real" GB, single layer DVD+-R[W] capacity is no larger than 4.4GiB"

:)

Ted Dog

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

Limit is 4G for the file system per file iso standard, use the -udf flag but it will not multisession (closes disc for future burns) for images over 4G and under 4.3G (real world burn for DVD single layer)

HOWEVER you can write the file RAW but not easily supported.

Code: Select all

growisofs -Z /dev/sr0=/PATH/NAMEofLARGEfile
to get it back

dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/PATH/NAMEofLARGEfile 
if its a multimedia type you can pipe it to the player but its forward only

dd if=/dev/sr0 | mplayer -

Rattlehead

#4 Post by Rattlehead »

Thank you for the info and the commands, I did not know the 1000/1024 'trap', and it clears a fuzzy area about burning.

Now, what's a user supposed to do if he wants to burn something WAY above the size of a DVD? Is there a burner program that detects big chunks of data and divides them into dvd 'units'?

gcmartin

#5 Post by gcmartin »

There is media (discs) that you can purchase which for DVD drives can write ISO/image files just over 8GB. These are called dual-layer (DL) discs. You can find them at your convenient DepartmentAppliance store's computer section or also online.

Here to help
Last edited by gcmartin on Sat 23 Mar 2013, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.

Ted Dog

#6 Post by Ted Dog »

Rattlehead wrote:Thank you for the info and the commands, I did not know the 1000/1024 'trap', and it clears a fuzzy area about burning.

Now, what's a user supposed to do if he wants to burn something WAY above the size of a DVD? Is there a burner program that detects big chunks of data and divides them into dvd 'units'?
standard split/join commands there are a version just like you need as file backup with DVD as the archive material. I covered those commands years ago but the actual command name elude me now.

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Backup_to_DVD

Rattlehead

#7 Post by Rattlehead »

Thank you guys, this is superuseful stuff! :)

I'll try to get me some dual-layered dvds for this week, and will explore the tar/split option during the weekend (it occurred to me: hasn't anybody made a script that automates all those commands and gives them a front end? Something so useful and yet so simple to do is a tempting 'cheap win' for any amateur programmer, but before I took the challenge myself I wanted to make sure that I'm not reinventing the wheel here...)