Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 04:02
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
SlimPup 3.8
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 3 [33 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Author Message
sheepy


Joined: 06 May 2011
Posts: 235
Location: GA

PostPosted: Sun 03 Mar 2013, 05:29    Post subject:  SlimPup 3.8  

Download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/slimpuplinux/files/SlimPup/SlimPup_3.8.iso/download
Project Homepage: http://www.slimpup.com
Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/GWufp.jpg


New Software
    Google Chrome 24.0.1312.56
    iw
    Aircrack-ng
    wifite script

Bug Fixes
    Text color in Rox being white instead of black by default

Other Changes
    Added Pmount to main menu

Please report any bugs or questions here. Thank you Smile

Last edited by sheepy on Tue 26 Mar 2013, 19:42; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
darkcity


Joined: 23 May 2010
Posts: 2462
Location: near here

PostPosted: Sun 03 Mar 2013, 10:31    Post subject:  

nice work, added to wiki Twisted Evil
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Slimpup

_________________
helping Wiki for help | IF SendSpace link = "dead" THEN PM me ("up file to http://meownplanet.net/")
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
sheepy


Joined: 06 May 2011
Posts: 235
Location: GA

PostPosted: Sun 03 Mar 2013, 19:57    Post subject:  

Thanks, darkcity! ^__^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
toomanyquestions

Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Posts: 69

PostPosted: Thu 07 Mar 2013, 23:06    Post subject:  

Good work!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
roadkill13

Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 74
Location: United States

PostPosted: Sun 17 Mar 2013, 14:01    Post subject:  

Great job sheepy!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger 
gnomic

Joined: 20 Aug 2010
Posts: 77

PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2013, 01:00    Post subject: md5sum please  

Hi there, having some download hell here, first pass an obviously truncated d/l, second has resulted in a file of 410 MB but then one never quite knows what kinds of MB were those - haven't been able to see an md5sum on sourceforge. So perhaps an md5sum at the top of this topic please? Just to help me on my journey thru life as this is making me a bit grumpy. Apologies if I have missed this info somewhere obvious.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
sheepy


Joined: 06 May 2011
Posts: 235
Location: GA

PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar 2013, 00:14    Post subject: Re: md5sum please  

toomanyquestions wrote:
Good work!

roadkill13 wrote:
Great job sheepy!

Thanks, guys! Very Happy
gnomic wrote:
Hi there, having some download hell here, first pass an obviously truncated d/l, second has resulted in a file of 410 MB but then one never quite knows what kinds of MB were those - haven't been able to see an md5sum on sourceforge. So perhaps an md5sum at the top of this topic please? Just to help me on my journey thru life as this is making me a bit grumpy. Apologies if I have missed this info somewhere obvious.

Hi, gnomic! Thank you for this question, as SourceForge does always misrepresent the filesize for some strange reason.
I believe this is the MD5:
9b41336c9c76af2b5d2af30669f472e9 SlimPup_3.8.iso
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
sullysat


Joined: 16 Oct 2007
Posts: 364
Location: San Antonio, TX

PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar 2013, 09:59    Post subject:  

Hi Sheepy,

I just stumbled on this one and thought I'd check it out. Looks pretty good in a VB with 256MB of RAM allocated so far, as long as I don't try to multitask. I had Chrome open when I opened System Info and everything locked up. Not surpising. Runs sweet so far at 512.

I do have a couple of questions:

I'm curious, just because I'm like that, why you chose to include Gimp in a "slim" distro. Not that I don't like Gimp, I'm just trying to make the connection.

What sort of hardware do you see this running on? - After poking around a bit, I see that it's based off of Lucid, which (to me) is a fairly recent base Pup.

When I look at Puplets, or derivatives, or whatever you want to call them, I'm interested in what they offer, and how, that the base Puppy doesn't and what systems I can run it on.

Turning old "obsolete" hardware in to useable computers again is a (sometimes) passion of mine and Puppy has become my distro of choice for most of the low end hardware I see (Early PIII, under 512MB RAM, and older).

Anything above those specs, depending on the purpose the machine will have, I tend to use distros with more streamlined repos and automatic updates. Needless to say, I use Puppy quite a bit so knowing where different distros "fit" for my needs is important.

I'll play with this some more and if you want me to mirror it on my Puppy page so there's an alternative to Sourceforge, just pm me.

Cheers,
Sully

_________________
Puppy Files Mirror - http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy.html
Classic Puppy Page - http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
sheepy


Joined: 06 May 2011
Posts: 235
Location: GA

PostPosted: Fri 22 Mar 2013, 23:21    Post subject:  

sullysat wrote:
Hi Sheepy,

I just stumbled on this one and thought I'd check it out. Looks pretty good in a VB with 256MB of RAM allocated so far, as long as I don't try to multitask. I had Chrome open when I opened System Info and everything locked up. Not surpising. Runs sweet so far at 512.

I do have a couple of questions:

I'm curious, just because I'm like that, why you chose to include Gimp in a "slim" distro. Not that I don't like Gimp, I'm just trying to make the connection.

What sort of hardware do you see this running on? - After poking around a bit, I see that it's based off of Lucid, which (to me) is a fairly recent base Pup.

When I look at Puplets, or derivatives, or whatever you want to call them, I'm interested in what they offer, and how, that the base Puppy doesn't and what systems I can run it on.

Turning old "obsolete" hardware in to useable computers again is a (sometimes) passion of mine and Puppy has become my distro of choice for most of the low end hardware I see (Early PIII, under 512MB RAM, and older).

Anything above those specs, depending on the purpose the machine will have, I tend to use distros with more streamlined repos and automatic updates. Needless to say, I use Puppy quite a bit so knowing where different distros "fit" for my needs is important.

I'll play with this some more and if you want me to mirror it on my Puppy page so there's an alternative to Sourceforge, just pm me.

Cheers,
Sully

Hi, sullysat, thanks for the questions!
I include GIMP in this "slim" distro because one of the main focuses of this puplet is to be fully-functional and well-equipped right out of the box. In my opinion, GIMP is the most feature-rich and powerful bitmap editor for Linux, and can actually stand up to commercial software like Photoshop pretty okay.

I get this question a lot. xD I see it running on anything anywhere from that old celeron in the closet up to the new i5 in the kitchen. I have some 10-year-old laptops I run slimpup on and it actually makes them worth using! And of course I use it on my main machine. I see it as a distro for anyone who wants to do anything that 95% of people will want to do on a computer. The only machines that I imagine wouldn't be suited to run slimpup are the really old machines and ultra new ones purchased specifically for things that require proprietary Windows software.

What this has to offer that the base does not is a well-chosen selection of programs to make the distro fully-armed right out of the box. The menu is also very concise and pretty. Oh, and it looks cool and stylish compared to the base. Smile (not that I don't like the base, of course!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
sullysat


Joined: 16 Oct 2007
Posts: 364
Location: San Antonio, TX

PostPosted: Sat 23 Mar 2013, 02:00    Post subject:  

Thanks Sheepy, it is a good looking distro. I like Gimp a lot... was just surprise to see it there.

Looking forward to playing with it some more. Thanks!
Sully

_________________
Puppy Files Mirror - http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy.html
Classic Puppy Page - http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
oldyeller


Joined: 15 Nov 2011
Posts: 812
Location: Mishawaka IN

PostPosted: Sat 23 Mar 2013, 10:57    Post subject:  

Hi Sheepy,

Just now downloaded it and will give it a spin


Cheers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Tote


Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Posts: 231
Location: South Wales

PostPosted: Mon 29 Apr 2013, 03:11    Post subject:  

Hello Sheepy, just a quick thank you and congratulations for this distro; everything you need and not too much more besides.

I tried it once before but couldn't get it to run well on my old laptop, now I have a slightly newer one I 'discovered' it again yesterday afternoon and I've been using/experimenting/exploring ever since.

One of the nicest pups I've ever used. Where do you get your wallpaper, do you create it yourself? It's the perfect complement to the stripped down desktop.

Really enjoying this unexpected treat.

Thanks again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
sheepy


Joined: 06 May 2011
Posts: 235
Location: GA

PostPosted: Fri 03 May 2013, 14:55    Post subject:  

Tote wrote:
Hello Sheepy, just a quick thank you and congratulations for this distro; everything you need and not too much more besides.

I tried it once before but couldn't get it to run well on my old laptop, now I have a slightly newer one I 'discovered' it again yesterday afternoon and I've been using/experimenting/exploring ever since.

One of the nicest pups I've ever used. Where do you get your wallpaper, do you create it yourself? It's the perfect complement to the stripped down desktop.

Really enjoying this unexpected treat.

Thanks again.

Thank you! I appreciate this very much.
I'm not quite sure where I acquired the wallpapers, as I got them many moons ago. Smile
Thanks again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
lvds


Joined: 23 Jan 2007
Posts: 315
Location: Near the window

PostPosted: Sun 12 May 2013, 18:17    Post subject:  

Hi Sheepy,

I have been playing with SlimPup a long time today and it was really fun. I didn't expect to spend so much time Smile
I love the way menus have been organised, it fits well with the openbox concept. I had to change the icon theme because it was not readable for me, I also set a better openbox theme and another conky theme, wallpaper, some rox settings etc... All in all SlimPup is really great but I've found little weird things:

- some software are outdated
- firefox is "prehistoric" Very Happy maybe v17.0.5 ESR could be a minimum
- I have never been able to display windows titles, that becomes difficult to work when you roll your windows on the desktop Smile
- I could not set the background to a color instead of a picture wallpaper (I didn't like the 3 wallpaper shipped, and I thought let just display a black or anthracite screen)

Do you plan to build another release based on a more recent puppy like v5.5 ?

Congratulations, it's a beautiful work !

Best regards

_________________
This is China today
Asus 1225C eeePC Atom Cedar Trail 2G Ram - DELL Optiplex 780 core2 duo 4G Ram, Intel4 chipset Video, ICH10 chipset Audio, Intel 82567LM-3 Network
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
sheepy


Joined: 06 May 2011
Posts: 235
Location: GA

PostPosted: Thu 16 May 2013, 02:51    Post subject:  

lvds wrote:
Hi Sheepy,

I have been playing with SlimPup a long time today and it was really fun. I didn't expect to spend so much time Smile
I love the way menus have been organised, it fits well with the openbox concept. I had to change the icon theme because it was not readable for me, I also set a better openbox theme and another conky theme, wallpaper, some rox settings etc... All in all SlimPup is really great but I've found little weird things:

- some software are outdated
- firefox is "prehistoric" Very Happy maybe v17.0.5 ESR could be a minimum
- I have never been able to display windows titles, that becomes difficult to work when you roll your windows on the desktop Smile
- I could not set the background to a color instead of a picture wallpaper (I didn't like the 3 wallpaper shipped, and I thought let just display a black or anthracite screen)

Do you plan to build another release based on a more recent puppy like v5.5 ?

Congratulations, it's a beautiful work !

Best regards

Hi, lvds,
Thank you so much for your testing and support!
-Which ones would you suggest updating?
-You're right, Firefox is pretty outdated. It functions pretty well at 4.0, and the update is colossal and would cause the ISO size to go way up. To be honest, I am more of a chrome fan anyway, but I love them both and Firefox just works and updates very easily within the browser if desired. I will consider updating it. Thank you!
-To enable the window labels, open the Openbox theme manager, go to "appearance" on the left, and there you can add or remove parts of the window decoration. Add an "L" for the window labels. Or anything else you would like to add or remove.
-You are correct that you cannot make the wallpaper simply one color. This is a limitation of Nitrogen, unfortunately. Although if you really wanted it black, you could edit a config or two, but that's not very intuitive, now, is it? xP It was originally solid black by default, but people didn't like that very much. I may just add solid-colored wallpapers to the default soon. Thank you for this feedback.

Unfortunately, I do not plan to move up to 5.5. I have grown very attached to 525, hahaha. Maybe someday if 525 ever becomes obsolete. It would be quite a challenge though. You'd be surprised how many specific little libraries or scripts I've placed in there to make everything the way it is.

Thank you! Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 3 [33 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1076s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0147s) ][ GZIP on ]