Where is all my space going?

Using applications, configuring, problems
danneauxs

Where is all my space going?

#1 Post by danneauxs »

Started with 1 gig. Down to just over 300MB.
Installed Chromium.
Installed Thunderbird mail (plus copied my 170MB profile).
Installed Wine.

I also updated the databases in PPM.
It might have been after that that I noticed a LOT of space when bye bye.

No problem resizing it but I'm more interested in where it went. In XP I'l use "treesize" which would list out the contents of the drive in a folder tree showing the size of each folder (and subfolders of you expand the parent folder.) Basically it looked like windowz explorer with folder sizes tacked on.

Is there a utility like that in puppy? Like I said I can resize the personal space but might have to move it off the main partition (XP dual boot).

Thanks
Danneauxs

Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

This should recover at least some of it:

* Clear browser cache, cookies, history, etc.

* Delete contents of /root/thumbnails.
(Some Puppies don't have this.)

* Reboot with puppy pfix=fsck option.

Q5sys

#3 Post by Q5sys »

Dewbie wrote:* Delete contents of /root/thumbnails.
(Some Puppies don't have this.)
Thats a BIG one! I've had that directory be 300mb in size before when doing alot of image work in folders.

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

Also move the whole .mozilla directory to /mnt/home/.mozilla
and then drag the Dir back using the mouse in Rox
and drop it as a relative symlink

I think one could do that with the .cache too but I am a noob
so use the search for to find what others have recommended.
Mine have stayed 248/205 for many days now and it used to
get eaten up many MB each day. so it helps to search around
for solutions.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

npierce

#5 Post by npierce »

danneauxs wrote:Is there a utility like that in puppy?
Yes, the du utility.

You can try this to get a summary of the space used:

Code: Select all

du -s -c /initrd/pup_rw/*
Or this to page through a detailed list:

du /initrd/pup_rw/ | less

Q5sys

Re: Where is all my space going?

#6 Post by Q5sys »

danneauxs wrote:No problem resizing it but I'm more interested in where it went. In XP I'l use "treesize" which would list out the contents of the drive in a folder tree showing the size of each folder (and subfolders of you expand the parent folder.) Basically it looked like windowz explorer with folder sizes tacked on.

Is there a utility like that in puppy? Like I said I can resize the personal space but might have to move it off the main partition (XP dual boot).
If you look at the bottom right corner of your screen, you'll see somethign that looks like a microchip with a bar across it. The bar will be red or green. right click this and choose "Map of storage used"
That'll bring up a graphical map of the files in your save file.

danneauxs

#7 Post by danneauxs »

Thanks everyone I'll use all those suggestions. Lots of good advise. I've been trying to swap over to puppy but I've hit that age where tech is getting to be more trouble than I want to deal with. 5 years ago I'd have spent an entire weekend online researching and reading 50 page threads.

That's one reason I'm still on XP and will not touch 7 or 8!! It's comfortable and easy and I know what I'm doing.

Thanks to the great people here I'm learning and getting timely help. Sometimes it makes me sad to think I used to have the answers instead of the questions. :oops:

Thanks all again!!!
Danneauxs

redandwhitestripes

#8 Post by redandwhitestripes »

I'm no expert compared to most users here but I'll wager Chromium is the problem. Check your cache size limits for that one, especially if you do a lot of youtube viewing with it.

L18L

Re: Where is all my space going?

#9 Post by L18L »

danneauxs wrote:...Is there a utility like that in puppy?...
try

gdmap
or menu > file system > gdmap

danneauxs

#10 Post by danneauxs »

L18L,

Yeah, I think I used that once long ago but didn't get it. I just played with it a bit, might get some getting used to but I can see it's usefulness. Still think I prefer numbers.

I wish linux had a file manager that showed the size of directories and not just file. That would be a big help.

Wine took up a good 100M+ chunk. I know thunderbird is using around 170MB but has several years of emails since I run it on several machines and every time I install it I copy over the profile from a running version - kinda an active backup.

Pretty much found the rest in programs themselves like thunderbird and VLC. I guess I wasn't thinking how those effect the PFS - I guess for some reason I viewed it as something that held things "I" made but it's more of like a Personal Partition for Puppy really I guess.

I guess if I use SFS files instead of installing programs I wouldn't use up the PFS even though I'd still use drive space.

I guess old habits die hard - I still remember when a floppy held a LOT of data. LOL

Danneauxs

kb8amz

#11 Post by kb8amz »

redandwhitestripes wrote:I'm no expert compared to most users here but I'll wager Chromium is the problem. Check your cache size limits for that one, especially if you do a lot of youtube viewing with it.
Chromium shouldn't suck that much RAM even if cache is full. I installed Chromium and dropped 85 MB of RAM. Chromium much nicer on Internet than dillo.
Terry Morris - KB8AMZ
Registered Linux User# 412308

Dell Latitude D505 tahr-6.0-CE_noPAE; Dell Optiplex 520 desktop Ubuntu 14.04 LTS; Dell Optiplex 150 LM 17 32bit, HP Quad Core AMD FatDog64 7.02

Dewbie

#12 Post by Dewbie »

Also, if you're using the same save file with two (or more) different kernel-versions of Puppy:

Let's use the example of Puppy Linux 4.3.1 and one of its "retro" versions.
(kernels 2.6.30.5 and 2.6.25.16, respectively)

If you set up the save file with 4.3.1, then boot into it with the retro, the retro will put its own (2.6.25.16) kernel files in the save file's /lib/modules directory.

So delete the kernel files from the version you're not currently using.
(in this example, 2.6.30.5)

Just move them to /tmp.
Then you won't wear your finger out. :lol:
And the files will be flushed at the next boot.

Next time you boot with the regular 4.3.1, it will restore those 2.6.30.5 files.
So then you go the other way. :)

(This also applies to Wary, which allows the same save file to be used with several different versions.)

muggins

#13 Post by muggins »