alphaOS [closed]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
simargl

#101 Post by simargl »

Scooby wrote:
simargl wrote: Important: Script does not resolve dependencies, and 2nd argument must be full package name

This is for directly installing Arch packages, I prefer to convert PKGBUILD to def and then compile package in Alpha OS,
So how do you handle dependencies?

If not using paca but convert PKGBUILD to def will this
automagically include dependencies?
paka script was made with goal to just convert Arch package to spkg format for Archpup, handling
dependencies there was not necessary - that script is still exactly the same.

When you convert PKGBUILD to def, dependencies will be written to def file and they will be
automatically installed with main package from the mirror.

example: if you type spkg -gi qt4 (or use gui package manager)
dependency sqlite will also be installed, because Qt depends on that package

simargl

#102 Post by simargl »

musher0 wrote:
simargl wrote:Ok, I compiled xf86-video-ati first, and it showed this:

configure: The atimisc sub-driver has been split out to xf86-video-mach64:
git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-mach64
Please install that driver as well for mach64-based cards.

configure: The r128 sub-driver has been split out to xf86-video-r128:
git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-r128
Please install that driver as well for rage128-based cards.

So, in attachment is also included xf86-video-r128. Please test - if they work for you I will add
those two packages by default in next release.

Regards
Thanks, simargil.

Obviously, I'll have to integrate your package to the alphaOS squash file from outside of alphaOS, since with my set-up the alphaOS console is kaput at the moment. Can you explain to me how I can do it without destroying anything?

Thanks in advance.

musher0
unsquashfs alpha_200.sfs

Add files from the archive above and then

mksquashfs squashfs-root alpha_200.sfs

session

#103 Post by session »

simargl wrote:unsquashfs alpha_200.sfs

Beat me to it, since Rox-filer in Wary chokes on this sfs.

The package for r128 works, visually it's a beautiful OS...
Last edited by session on Sat 23 Mar 2013, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
[color=green]Primary[/color] - Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz, 571MB RAM, ATI Radeon 7000. Linux Mint 17 Qiana installed.
[color=blue]Secondary[/color] - Pentium 3 533MHz, 385MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 Pro ULTRA TF. Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro full install.

stifiling

#104 Post by stifiling »

simargl wrote:if you type spkg -gi qt4 (or use gui package manager)
dependency sqlite will also be installed, because Qt depends on that package
i didn't know it would handle the dependencies with that command. spkg is really nice for compiling software from source.

was wondering though...'if' i wanted to install KDE...about how long do you think that might take. i haven't even tried it yet because the thought of it is daunting. compiling KDE from source would take an astronomical amount of time wouldn't it?

simargl

#105 Post by simargl »

session wrote:
simargl wrote:unsquashfs alpha_200.sfs

Beat me to it, since Rox-filer in Wary chokes on this sfs.

The package for r128 works, it's a beautiful OS...
Ok, great! Those two packages will be in next main iso...

simargl

#106 Post by simargl »

stifiling wrote:compiling KDE from source would take an astronomical amount of time wouldn't it?
I'd say compiling whole KDE from source would take infinite amount of time :lol:

Here is idea: convert kde module from slax - it is already optimized for minimal size and it's the latest version.

I'm not sure if that would work, but chances are not bad...

Smithy

#107 Post by Smithy »

103mb, sounds like my cup of tea!
Got any screenshots of your AlphaOS simargl?
Noob questions I know, but
1.Does it take pets?
2.Does it do printing? Scanning? Remastering?
On my puppy shopping list are these essential regulars.
Wine, Wine menu tidy up, Wineasio, Gimp (2.6, love it) MT Paint, Jack, and a word processor.

Are these available without a lot of messing around, or is it best to stick to the familiar puppies would you say? The interface in Puppy is good if you want to show hidden files, alter the double click, change wallpaper etc, was wondering if AlphaOS is more for people who know what they are doing!

simargl

#108 Post by simargl »

Smithy wrote:103mb, sounds like my cup of tea!
Got any screenshots of your AlphaOS simargl?
Noob questions I know, but
1.Does it take pets?
2.Does it do printing? Scanning? Remastering?
On my puppy shopping list are these essential regulars.
Wine, Wine menu tidy up, Wineasio, Gimp (2.6, love it) MT Paint, Jack, and a word processor.

Are these available without a lot of messing around, or is it best to stick to the familiar puppies would you say? The interface in Puppy is good if you want to show hidden files, alter the double click, change wallpaper etc, was wondering if AlphaOS is more for people who know what they are doing!
Hi Smithy,

for screenshot look in the first post, right click on image file and it has option "Set as wallpaper", hidden files are shown in the file manager by default.... and so on

But what is this OS all about, truth is I make it for myself - add options and programs I use, if something
does not work for some one else I try to fix it .. And that is all

I would not say it is for advanced users only, for example Installing programs is easier than anywhere else, even Windows. Problem
is there are not many packages in repository, I will add them slowly but again only those I want to try... If some one is interested in making packages for repository you can contact me.

simargl

#109 Post by simargl »

You may be interested to try and use slax modules (http://www.slax.org/modules.php?),
I've just tested it with opera and program worked, off course why generic linux binary would not work here, same apply for google chrome

Just download module from slax site: change extension sb to sfs, click to load.

Smithy

#110 Post by Smithy »

Great, thanks for the reply and info simargl, especially changing the extension sb to sfs, that is one thing that might catch beginners out.
Didn't realise there was a screenie (page1), now I see it, it looks good.

I understand that it is your personal OS, so if useful stuff for other users gets added to the AlphaOS repository, then that's a bonus.

Will be good for me just to try the new kernel, see what they've b*ggered up this time lol! Or fixed in Alsa. Like adjustment of soft volume slider.
(My card is stuck on full +4 db output volume as default in Linux, so if I want to do a mixdown to consumer devices, like my trusty iriver (-10db input), recording distorts like hell.
Last edited by Smithy on Sun 24 Mar 2013, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.

Scooby

#111 Post by Scooby »

Booted alphaOS_2.0.0-20130322

Touchpad didn't respond nor buttons

Tried superkey +t got a sakura terminal but prompt doesnt show up in it? Cannot issue commands to it!

tried superkey+e got a message "cannot open leafpad - cannot find file

I'm on Asus X73S

from hwinfo

Code: Select all

62: PS/2 00.0: 10500 PS/2 Mouse
      [Created at input.249]
      Unique ID: AH6Q.ABvIlSyGYdD
      Hardware Class: mouse
      Model: "ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad"
      Vendor: 0x0002
      Device: 0x000e "ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad"
      Compatible to: int 0x0210 0x0002
      Device File: /dev/input/mice (/dev/input/mouse0)
      Device Files: /dev/input/mice, /dev/input/mouse0, /dev/input/event1, /dev/input/by-path/platform-i8042-serio-4-event
      Device Number: char 13:63 (char 13:32)
      Driver Info #0:
        Buttons: 2
        Wheels: 0
        XFree86 Protocol: explorerps/2
        GPM Protocol: exps2
      Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

simargl

#112 Post by simargl »

Transmission BitTorrent client is added to the repository, version latest 2.77 compiled with gtk3.

Regarding using Slax bundles (sb), I would not be surprised if something like this get announcement on Slacko thread also ().

Slax is based on Slackware 14.0 and libraries and programs there are not much older than in Alpha, (glibc 2.15 in Slackware / 2.17 in Alpha OS)
but in slacko they are perfectly compatible, using the same base.

simargl

#113 Post by simargl »

Scooby wrote:Booted alphaOS_2.0.0-20130322

Touchpad didn't respond nor buttons

Tried superkey +t got a sakura terminal but prompt doesnt show up in it? Cannot issue commands to it!

tried superkey+e got a message "cannot open leafpad - cannot find file

I'm on Asus X73S
I thought that problem is solved after adding synaptic driver in this version, that was reported
by some users, sorry I can't test touchpad .. no laptop

Scooby

#114 Post by Scooby »

No idea why I dont get prompt in sakura terminal either?

simargl

#115 Post by simargl »

Scooby wrote:No idea why I dont get prompt in sakura terminal either?
Not sure, but can you start any program using keyboard shortcuts like

super+f for file manager and others (see conky)

simargl

#116 Post by simargl »

Here is alphaOS page in russian :shock: http://forum.puppyrus.org/index.php/topic,13966.0.html

Title "забугорный PuppyRus" :lol: , this reminds me so much of mavrothal's comment for Archpup, he liked
to call it buggy despite having no reason for that..

Anyway, author of that thread even compiled couple of packages in spkg format.. it's nice to see some interest in unexpected places..

01micko

#117 Post by 01micko »

simargl wrote:Transmission BitTorrent client is added to the repository, version latest 2.77 compiled with gtk3.

Regarding using Slax bundles (sb), I would not be surprised if something like this get announcement on Slacko thread also ().

Slax is based on Slackware 14.0 and libraries and programs there are not much older than in Alpha, (glibc 2.15 in Slackware / 2.17 in Alpha OS)
but in slacko they are perfectly compatible, using the same base.
Already tried with porteus modules some time ago in older slacko, some work, some don't. KDE was one that didn't.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

zmr

#118 Post by zmr »

Wallpaper in alphaOS is legal or a steal?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85378074@N00/3695680126/

I found that this image is from fron23 and used in promotion screenshot on alphaOS's sourceforge page. This kind of use of this artwork is accepted by the author?

Regards,
zam

simargl

#119 Post by simargl »

That photo from old version like any other is found with google images search, I had no time
to search for the author. Are you happy with this answer?

Regards.

zmr

#120 Post by zmr »

Not really. It's a stealing...

Be opensource, don't fear about openness. I was happy when I tried out Archpup because it's simple and minimal but worked well.
And now it's nowhere, just stupid topics about stealing and hatred. I don't like it.

Do it and share and we will accept it and you'll get success and fame if you deserve it. Or don't do anything if you delete it after someone use your ideas. It's totally the opposite of open source.

Think about it.