Can puppy linux and windows 7 network?

Booting, installing, newbie
fuelish

Can puppy linux and windows 7 network?

#1 Post by fuelish »

I want to view / connect to Windows 7 shares on my network from puppy. How?

My Windows 7 network is setup like this.

Kogije

Yes

#2 Post by Kogije »

Yes you can Network them.

fuelish

Re: Yes

#3 Post by fuelish »

Kogije wrote:Yes you can Network them.
How?

Kogije

Smb

#4 Post by Kogije »

Easiest way is use Samba

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

Which Puppy version are you using? If you look in the Network menu, you will see some tools like Pnethood or YASSM that can access shared folders on Windows machines.

Kogije

yup

#6 Post by Kogije »

Thats true, but pretty much all Puppy Versions have some sort of smb option that will work.

fuelish

#7 Post by fuelish »

rcrsn51 wrote:Which Puppy version are you using? If you look in the Network menu, you will see some tools like Pnethood or YASSM that can access shared folders on Windows machines.
I did finally connect to Windows 7 shares with Pnethood in Precise Puppy 5.4.3 and Puppy 4.3.1. Pnethood failed in Three Headed Dog and Yassm failed in Slacko 5.4.

I prefer Three Headed Dog but Slacko is OK. How do I get them to connect to Windows 7 shares? Thanks for the help.

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

I am surprised that the Samba client tools are failing for you in recent Puppies. YASSM works fine for me in Slacko 5.4 with Win7 shares.

Do your Win7 shares require authentication? Are they showing up in Search as "hidden". The Help explains what to do next.

Do you have the Puppy firewall turned on? There are instructions in the Help for handling this.

Slacko has another Samba client tool in your home folder called "network".

fuelish

#9 Post by fuelish »

rcrsn51 wrote:I am surprised that the Samba client tools are failing for you in recent Puppies. YASSM works fine for me in Slacko 5.4 with Win7 shares.

Do your Win7 shares require authentication? Are they showing up in Search as "hidden". The Help explains what to do next.

Do you have the Puppy firewall turned on? There are instructions in the Help for handling this.

Slacko has another Samba client tool in your home folder called "network".
Three Headed Dog finds the servers. I think Slacko does too. Neither can find shares. Pnethood doesn’t show any connect buttons. I don’t know what yassm would look like if it found shares. I didn't see anything about hidden shares.

If you mean passwords then I don’t use authentication in my Windows 7 network.

I use firewall on all Puppies (except maybe 4.3.1). I think I tried turning it off but that didn’t seem to matter. I don’t see how the puppy firewall would prevent shares from connecting when servers are found.

I didn’t find a “network tool

fuelish

#10 Post by fuelish »

Slacko finds Windows 7 servers but does not find shares. It says “no shares found

rcrsn51

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

[quote="fuelish"]I didn’t find a “network tool

fuelish

#12 Post by fuelish »

I have connected to Windows 7 shares. :D

I edited line 4 of samba-search script which is now TIMEOUT=3 but I don’t think that made any difference.

What did make a difference is I used IP addresses instead of computer names. Windows 7 names and IP addresses:

MY-LAPTOP:
IPv4 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
IPv4 Address 192.168.0.100

HER-LAPTOP:
IPv4 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
IPv4 Address 192.168.0.101

Before when yassm asks for a server I was putting in the computer name. But now after choose a server and press select I replace the computer name with just the IP address of the computer I want to connect to. This works but I have to keep entering the IP address every time I want to connect to one of these two computers. Also there is only one computer’s share visible in the yassm directory at a time. How can I get both computers to show in the yassm directory? Is there a way to replace a computer’s name I’m seeing now in the yassm select box with the computers IP address?

Three-Headed Dog does have Pnethood. I will try that after yassm. From what I have seen Pnethood is far superior to yassm.

I don’t know what the puppy subnet mask or IP is or where to find it. I may not need to know that now.

rcrsn51

#13 Post by rcrsn51 »

YASSM uses a different internal scanning mechanism than Pnethood. For many users, they work equally well. But sometimes, one works better than the other. I suspect that this has something to do with your network/router configuration. Although I don't know why Pnethood would fail in Three-Headed Dog (as you reported) and work in Precise.

There are three YASSM programs, so we need to clarify what you are doing.

1. If you run Samba Search what does it find in its drop-down list? Nothing? Even after a Rescan?

On Line 79, change PORT=139 to PORT=445. Does that help?

2. If you run Samba Login and enter the share and server name what happens? Because you reported that you are running a firewall, I suspect that would fail. The Help has a work-around for this. Or you can use the server's IP address instead.

3. The whole point of YASSM is that you shouldn't need to search for shares when you already know where they are. Read in the Help about using Samba Select to build a database of your known shares. In your case, you would use IP addresses instead of server names.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 28 Mar 2013, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.

fuelish

#14 Post by fuelish »

The firewall is the culprit. If I turn it off YASSM Samba Share Search finds shares on my Windows 7 network. If I turn the firewall on I can only connect by entering the IP address and then I can connect to only one share at a time. How can I fix the firewall to allow connections to the shares in my Windows 7 network?

I did edit the samba-search script as you suggested but that didn't make any difference.

I also tried the firewall workarounds in the help but that didn't make any difference either.

rcrsn51

#15 Post by rcrsn51 »

Just to clarify, are you talking about a firewall on the Puppy machine or the Windows machine?
fuelish wrote: and then I can connect to only one share at a time..
I don't understand that comment. Do you mean that the shares are not laid out in a table like with Pnethood? Or that something goes wrong when you try to mount a second share with YASSM?

Have you looked at Samba Select?

You did not answer Question #1 above. I need to know what is in the Samba Search list, with and without the firewall.

fuelish

#16 Post by fuelish »

My apologies for the poor explanations, I’ll try to do better. I may have been mistaken previously or said confusing things so lets start fresh.

When I said firewall I meant the firewall in puppy.

With the puppy firewall ON:

Using YASSM Samba Share Login:
Username: me
Password: blank
Share: Users
Server: MY-LAPTOP
Options: blank

I click Mount, I see “No connection to Users

rcrsn51

#17 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks. That confirms what I thought.

Regarding the firewall issue: Like I said before, YASSM uses a different scanning engine than Pnethood. During the Mount procedure, YASSM must resolve the server's name into its IP address. The presence of a firewall blocks this. But if you use the IP address instead, it works fine.

We could have a discussion about why you even need a firewall on a Puppy machine when your network is behind a router. But that's for another day. To open the firewall for YASSM, do the following:

1. Run the firewall configuration program.
2. Select Custom.
3. Click OK on all the steps until Internet Connection Sharing
4. Click No.
5. Under Trusted Networks, enter: 192.168.0.0/24

----------------------

Regarding Samba Select: You need to create your own database of shares on your network. Click the Edit button. If you have modified the firewall, use server names. If not, use IP addresses (assuming that they are static). Now you never have to search for shares again.

------------------------------
Precise Puppy also has YASSM and it too can automatically find and mount shares with the firewall on.
That surprises me. I will look at it.

[Edit] I looked at Precise and the firewall blocks YASSM exactly as in Slacko.

If you would really prefer to have Pnethood in Slacko, you should be able to go into the Precise repo and find a PET for it. Or you can try Slacko's own Network tool in /root.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.

fuelish

#18 Post by fuelish »

I would have replied yesterday but I have a bad cold that’s killing my motivation. All I want to do is sleep.

Thanks to your assistance I can report complete success browsing shares on my Windows 7 network using YASSM in Slacko. Thank you!

I did deviate with puppy firewall setup. Instead of using the range of addresses you suggested I entered the IP address of each laptop. If I were to use a range of addresses instead of individual addresses I might use 192.168.0.100/31 which would be 92.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.101. To cover the entire range of private addresses I might use 192.168.0.0/16 which is 192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.255. But without your walking me through the firewall setup I might never have succeeded with getting puppy to see my Win7 network.

This is how I modified samba-select.dat to get YASSM Samba Share Select to work:

MY-LAPTOP,me,none,Users,192.168.0.100
HER-LAPTOP,me,none,Users,192.168.0.101

After setting up YASSM Samba Share Select it is a faster way to mount shares. I no longer feel a need for Pnethood.

As for why I had no problem browsing Win7 shares in Precise Puppy without modifying the firewall and you couldn’t I can not say. It’s a mystery to me.

One other thing I learned is that if I left Win7 shares mounted puppy would hang during reboot and I would have to press reset.

After I get some rest I’ll see if your firewall instructions will allow me to mount Win7 shares in Three Headed Dog. I’d be surprised if it didn’t. Thank you again! :D

rcrsn51

#19 Post by rcrsn51 »

Glad to hear that you got it working. Here are a couple of things:

1. YASSM has a mechanism that auto-dismounts any mounted shares at shutdown. I checked this in Slacko and it worked for me.

2. Now that you have modified the firewall, you could have used the Win7 machine names instead of IP addresses in samba-select. Then if their IP addresses ever change, your database will still work.

jde

A new Windows 7 network file share issue

#20 Post by jde »

rcrsn51, others:

I hope you won't mind that I continue this thread, as my issue is similar: I can see the computers (servers) but not the shares for Windows 7 from Puppy Linux.

As way of introduction, I am a somewhat newbie to Linux, and this is my first post on the forum. I am, however, computer literate as a retired IT person. I have tried and use Linux Mint14, tried Puppy Precise 5.5, use Puppy UpUp 3.8.4.2, tried FatDog64.

Environment: home router, Windows use Norton Internet Sec, laptops have full trust, dynamic ips, Registry setting: lmcompatibilitylevel=1=use NTLM2 if negotiated
1)House2 - 192.168.1.3, desktop, Windows 7, multiple shares (require authentication)
2)Bys - 192.168.1.2, laptop, Vista, one test share (requires authentication); also can run Puppy UpUp, Mint
3)Travel - 192.168.1.7, laptop, Windows 7, no shares; running Puppy UpUp ((try to connect to shares))
Network printer - 192.168.1.6

Travel laptop testing: Firewall set as recommended-Custom, ICS=no,192.168.1.0/16
Printer connected successfully using CUPS.

nmblookup house2
returns: querying house2 on 192.168.1.255
192.168.1.3 house2 <00>
169.254.157.210 house2 <00>
[edit note]: 169... address was VirtualBox (for eval of Linux); since removed after tests conducted

mpscan -t 3 -p 139 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254
returns: ip: 192.168.1.6 139 ok
ip: 192.168.1.3 139 ok
mpscan -t 3 -p 445 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254
returns: ip: 192.168.1.3 445 ok

smbclient -L //192.168.1.3 -U MyUserName -W WORKGROUP (entered password)
returns: "session setup failed: Success - 0"

Pnethood finds computers and printer, but not shares.

YASSM finds computers and printer, but not shares. When it finds computers, it does show "hidden@HOUSE2". I have tried YASSM Search with these results. I know the shares, and have tried YASSM Login (Mount) to "Share1" on HOUSE2 using cifs, domain=WORKGROUP; iocharset=utf8. I have also tried using server listed as HOUSE2?192.168.1.3. Results: "No connection to share"; share folder created but empty.

Further testing: 1) Turned off FIREWALL on HOUSE2 running Windows 7 with Norton Int. Sec., firewall controlled by Norton Internet Security. Same results, could not connect to shares.

For comparison and further background:
Same computer, Travel laptop, successfully connects to Bys laptop SHARE running Vista using YASSM.

Same computer, Travel laptop, successfully connects to House2 desktop various SHARES when running Linux Mint14 (most of the time) using the file manager. Running Mint14, nmblookup returns same results. smbclient -L .... does in fact return the several Windows 7 shares when running Mint.

To see if the issue was isolated to Puppy UpUp, I tired running FatDog64 620Beta; again I could not see shares. Also, stopped Puppy UpUp Firewall; could not see shares.

So, to summarize:
- using Puppy's,
can't see Windows 7 shares
can see and process Vista shares
- using Linux Mint14,
can see and process Windows 7 shares
- and yes, the shares work in Windows products

I have read many of rcrsn51's forum post's, including the development of YASSM posts.

I would be grateful for any help in resolving this sharing issue. I also hope, and predict the solution will be helpful to others as they venture into Linux.

Thanks for you help.

David