Is there a data logging program for Puppy 5.28?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
number77

#1 Post by number77 »

Hello
Does anyone have any experience of a data logging program for use with Puppy 5.28 by a novice.
I want to monitor the burn time of my central heating boiler at different times of day.
Thanks
number77

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Is this boiler in your house, controlled by some kind of electrical thermostat? If so, what brand and model thermostat?

number77

#3 Post by number77 »

Yes it is in the house and the room stat is a Danfoss ret230p.
I did intend to get the signal straight from the boilers burner as domestic hot water can also ask the boiler for a burn and I am interested in total burn time.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I can't tell from the pdf what kind of voltages might be used to control the furnace. Rather than try to use the thermostat output, perhaps it would be simpler to use some kind of flame sensor, such as a thermocouple, which could be connected to your computer somehow.

number77

#5 Post by number77 »

The boiler works on 240 v ac and when this is applied to the burner it starts and burns until the 240 volts is switched off. Thats the easy bit. Like its on for say 4 mins then off for 6 mins.
I still need a data logging program and a way to input this data to pc.

bill

#6 Post by bill »

number77,Not sure if this will be a way forward but it is worth considering I think,especially if you ping on one of the men associated.

http://elinux.org/Kernel_Instrumentation

click on "Wmat" and try to run down this fellow.He sounds like a source after reading his bio.

number77

#7 Post by number77 »

Looks a good way forward Bill thanks. Sorry for delay, been away.

bill

#8 Post by bill »

Fine business number77,and who knows ? maybe Wmat aka William McBride Aderson Traynor will become a fixture here and become another talent here at Murga's house and should you desire,let us know how you get on. cheers

number77

#9 Post by number77 »

Bill, got the following reply from wmat
Hi, I think you may have the wrong guy. I'm afraid I don't know anything about that.
Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

Number77, I'm not surprised. That sounded like a program for monitoring the operating system, nothing to do with hardware.

You need two things: hardware to interface between the burner and computer, and software to manipulate and display the data collected from the hardware interface.

If your computer has a serial input, I think there is a way to use it to measure things like switch closure times. You could use a 240 volt relay. Connect its coil to the same wires that are connected to the burner control, then connect the computer to the N.O. relay contacts, which would close when the burner is on. It would be safe to the connect the relay contacts to the computer because they are isolated from the high voltage at the coil.

bill

#11 Post by bill »

Well shucks,number77,Sorry to have sent you chasing the wild goose.
Flash has it figured right, you have two challenges,The first one is "Instrumentation" which is the actual process of monitoring a simple on,off condition ,being either a relay, a photocell,a pressure transducer(fuel flow) ,temperature etc. The reason I know this is that I was once classified as an "Instrument Tech. albeit not a bonafide tech as
my duties were more in an electro/mechanical vain like labeling machines,infrared boiler cameras,two way hand held radios.There most
certainly are companies who manufacture boxes that would make what you want childsplay,unfortunately they are pricey.Companies like Fischer-Porter,Allen Bradley ,just to name two.These boxes were systematically tossed in the bin when a new and improved unit came on the scene.Three avenues I can see you follow is to try and buddy up to an Instrument Tech or call a salesman for one of these Instrument Companies and lastly see if you can find a company that repairs these devices.Any of these ideas will probably not be met as in "Free to download" Good Luck..

muggins

#12 Post by muggins »

Perhaps a home automation app could cover this? Like misterhouse, ghcs, heyu, openremote, domogik, bottlerocket, pytomation, & minerva.

(or am I misreading number77's intent?)

number77

#13 Post by number77 »

muggins wrote:Perhaps a home automation app could cover this? Like misterhouse, ghcs, heyu, openremote, domogik, bottlerocket, pytomation, & minerva.

(or am I misreading number77's intent?)
These links will keep me going ages.
The intent is to be able to measure burn time in 24 hrs and to be able to look at a graph of time against burn.
The relay is no problem, the serial port.

number77

#15 Post by number77 »

That will keep me going even longer. Great stuff