Firefox getting slower to start

Booting, installing, newbie
PaulR

Firefox getting slower to start

#1 Post by PaulR »

Since first running Slacko 5.5 (from CD) a couple of weeks ago Firefox 19.0 has gradually become slower and slower to start up, now taking at least 10 seconds just to draw the window not load a page (reminds me of my Win 7 machine :P ).

I've tried starting it from the JWM panel, a terminal and Gexec and there's no difference. I've also compared starting it under JWM, Fluxbox, Openbox and Ratpoison with no appreciable difference.

I've checked HTOP and there's no excessive CPU use or memory hogging apps and plenty of free memory.

All other programs start as quickly as ever it's just Firefox that's the problem. I have it set to delete all history, not make suggestions and Adblock plus is the only add-on. It is not currently set up to sync with my other machines.

Can anyone please suggest where to start looking as I'm stumped!

Thanks,

Paul

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Paul- upgrade to 19.02. If it clears, fine. If not and trusting you know how, try with a fresh profile..

PaulR

#3 Post by PaulR »

Thanks Semme that seemed to help a bit :D

For anyone that needs to do the same, just start Firefox from a terminal with the -P switch to start the Profile Manager.

Cheers

Paul

tallboy

#4 Post by tallboy »

Preferences -> Advanced -> Network -> Cached Web Content -> Clear now, and set to a low number. Also check the Offline Web Content and User Data figure. Clear now.

My 2¢

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

PaulR

#5 Post by PaulR »

Cheers. I have no user data saved but I've reduced the cache size (to 20mb to begin with) as suggested.

Paul

PaulR

#6 Post by PaulR »

Unfortunately this problem has returned and is as bad as ever. I'm upgrading to 19.02 to see if that fixes it - just installed Opera as a comparison and it's much quicker to start. (Might have to get used to it as Firefox is going to be lonely with the all the focus shifting to webkit).

Paul

linuxcbon

#7 Post by linuxcbon »

tallboy

#8 Post by tallboy »

This is the last thing I checked myself when having some trouble earlier, but there is actually quite a long list of recognized problems and solutions at Menu -> Help -> Firefox-Help -> Fix slowness, crashing, error messages and other problems.

Or if you prefer an url: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/produc ... x-problems

There is also troubleshooting information from the Help menu, always a good source for entertainment!

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.