Idea: adopt ROX-Filer

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#41 Post by Flash »

I did look at the Samplecat screenshot but couldn't make anything of it. :(

EDIT: If I get up close to the screen and squint, Samplecat appears to be like every other "tree" type file manager in that it only shows a tree view of the contents of a directory if you click on that directory. I wan't it to automatically show a flat tree view of all subdirectories at once.

disciple

#42 Post by disciple »

technosaurus wrote:
* Copyright (C) 2006, Thomas Leonard and others (see changelog for details).
Appears to be from rox

both rox and gtk2 (or was it glib2) use libraries from the xdg project and statically build them in (well technically gtk2 builds in the PIC objects) ... and other projects do the same thing. Its only ~100kb but still, I'm suprised Debian doesn't have a patch since they have a policy against such things (but apparently Arch has no such policy)
Yes, Arch has a policy of only patching in extreme circumstances ;)
I once attempted to patch glib and rox so they could share the common objects by exporting those symbols in glib and removing them from the rox build, but after looking at xdg-open, its hard to tell what practical purpose it would serve when we could instead patch rox to use xdg-open directly and not have *.desktop and mime stuff in non-standard
I always thought the problem was that it doesn't use *.desktop files for this at all.
BTW, this issue is why I currently use Pcmanfm as my main filer instead of Rox. It uses the standards very nicely. It adds all the programs that can handle a filetype to the right-click menu, and if you want to select another program which hasn't registered the file type itself, the "open with" dialogue arranges all the programs the same way as the main ("start" button) menu, and it creates appropriate .desktop files. I find myself wondering if the libfm/pcmanfm code could be patched into rox... but I'm sure it is way beyond me.
FWIW the other thing I'd appreciate in Rox is if it used the standard GTK bookmarks (that you see in file open/save dialogs) instead of its own.
locations that make it inoperable with gtk,kde,xfce,lxde, enlightenment and others that do follow the standards ... for no real reason except for NIH
And since Thomas Leonard is so involved with Freedesktop, I've always figured the problem isn't anything like NIH, just that the rox system is older than that, and no one has gone to the effort of replacing it.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#43 Post by disciple »

Flash wrote:I did look at the Samplecat screenshot but couldn't make anything of it. :(

EDIT: If I get up close to the screen and squint, Samplecat appears to be like every other "tree" type file manager in that it only shows a tree view of the contents of a directory if you click on that directory. I wan't it to automatically show a flat tree view of all subdirectories at once.
You're still confusing me, maybe partly because I don't understand what you mean by "flat". I think of a "flat" view as being the opposite of a tree.

Are you saying you want it to recursively expand all directories in your entire filesystem? That would make it unusable on a large filesystem, wouldn't it? And how should it handle circular situations with symlinks?

Or are there some file managers which automatically collapse any directories which you are not in, and you're complaining about that?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

goingnuts

#44 Post by goingnuts »

Maybe consider uxplor. It has the tree-view as well as the file-icon window. Needs port to newer gtk and a lot of updates though... :)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#45 Post by Flash »

disciple wrote:
Flash wrote:I did look at the Samplecat screenshot but couldn't make anything of it. :(

You're still confusing me, maybe partly because I don't understand what you mean by "flat". I think of a "flat" view as being the opposite of a tree.
I don't really know what flat means. I assume it means everything is shown in one window, not hidden as it is in a collapsed tree hierarchy.
Are you saying you want it to recursively expand all directories in your entire filesystem? That would make it unusable on a large filesystem, wouldn't it? And how should it handle circular situations with symlinks?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, only with the option to limit the view to just the directory I happen to be in. For instance, my mp3_books directory, which contains many directories of authors. Each author directory contains at least one directory with a book in it, and each book directory contains many mp3 files. The view I want should not include the mp3 files, only all the directories inside the mp3_books directory. Exactly as Tree does it. So why can't the functionality of Tree be included in ROX and every other file manager? As for directories which contain a large number of sub-directories or symlinks, if Tree doesn't help then don't use it. I'm only talking about a right-click option or something like that, not a default view.
Or are there some file managers which automatically collapse any directories which you are not in, and you're complaining about that?
That's exactly what I'm complaining about, or it is if I understand you correctly :) . Every file manager which can show a tree view defaults to the collapsed view and does not offer the option to show everything at once. Tree does what I want; why can't it be added to ROX?

amigo

#46 Post by amigo »

Yes, I think 'flat' would be an accurate way to describe what flash is referring to. That is, directory entries are shown expanded. All the existing filers and file/dir choosers which use a tree start with directory entries collapsed. A directory chooser will not even show files. And most such 'widgets' only show directories in the left-pane 'tree' view. Clicking on the little '+' expands the view in the left pane if there are subdirs inside. Otherwise, the clicked item in the left pane gets its' contents shown in the right pane -all files.

Anyway, I got samplecat compiled so I can show a screenshot without all the Schnick-Schnack:

The window actually shows two left-right paned views. The top is of files which have been selected for sampling. The main file navigator section is the larger pane below, with the dirtree view on the left and the right side showing the listview from rox-filer. The dirtree view is from gqview. I'm not really competent enough with C/GTK+ to carry out such a job on ROX. For someone who is capable, it would about as easy to do for the old gtk1 or new rox gtk2 version as there is the gqview code for both gtk1 and gtk2. I am gonna look at all though -maybe I can start and then 'steal' some tips from others more expert than me...
Attachments
samplecat.jpg
Simple screenshot of 'filer' functions of samplecat
(122.1 KiB) Downloaded 268 times