How to get driver for Smartlink modem?

Booting, installing, newbie
RevBGary

How to get driver for Smartlink modem?

#1 Post by RevBGary »

I am using Freespire, and it is too slow w/ my old computer. I want to go to Puppy, but I am also stuck with dial-up, so down-loading the file that willenable my modem to work is a problem. From Freespire, which auto-detected my Smartlinks modem, I know that /dev/modem is correct, and I know the series of commandsthat the modem uses. But I am too much of a newbie to know how or if I can use this info toset up my modem underPuppy. I would very much appreciate help. Gary N.

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

if you can access a net cafe then you could download, and burn, barry's latest pup, which has the smartlink driver.
The Smartlink and Lucent soft-modem drivers and support utilities are now in the 'standard' live-CD.
or, depending on which version you are using, download the smartlink driver for your pup, using freespire, save it somewhere, boot your puppy, then:

Start->setup->puppy package manager->pupget package manager->Install or remove packages->slmodem->add->OK

then choose local & point puppy to where you've saved the slmodem package for puppy to install it. then run the modem wizard to set up the modem. (you might have to reboot for it to work).

RevBGary

#3 Post by RevBGary »

Thanks so much for your reply--I will give your suggestions a try. I really appreciate the help. Gary