to LOCALE="fr_FR.UTF-8"

open terminal and type: locale-gen

Log out, and enjoy :wink: Maybe add screenshot :D
So GREAT ! very happy !
I forgot the last part on your help - system configuration
Works very well now.
a very good job very class style !
Thanks

HELL ! I'm a F.....g newbie ! don't now how let you see directlyin post the screenshot grrr !
Attachments
alphaos-20130401181249.png
(122.72 KiB) Downloaded 368 times

Arefacti

french language

#162 Post by Arefacti »

Here another screenshot about French AlphaOs 3.0.0 :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

:D

the beautiful conky theme Gotham "in the box" !

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

musher0

#163 Post by musher0 »

simargl wrote:Version 3.0 has been released.

Here you can find out what's new
Hi, simargil.

Is this an April Fool's joke ? :lol: 8)

Or is it serious ? :cry:

Happy Easter Tide, BTW.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

simargl

#164 Post by simargl »

Hello musher0, no joke it's real thing, if you wanna fly use alphaOS it will take you to the moon :o Thought appareantly not everyone like it - two thumbs down here http://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos/ :(

smil99

#165 Post by smil99 »

Hi simargl,
Haven't checked in for a while. Great stuff you have here. Noticed you implemented rcrsn51 's cups improvements. Haven't tried printing though. Just hope it won't vanish one day just like archpup :lol:
By the way, would be great if you have the following in alpaOS repo.
1. Openshot
2. Subtitleedditor
3. Abiword
4. Gnumeric
5. Inkscape
6. Mtpaint

Hope I'm not asking for too much. :)
Cheers.

smil99
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

efgee

#166 Post by efgee »

Hi,
tried version 1 and version 2 both in a VirtualBox and on real hardware.
On a VM the mouse has problems but is still somewhat usable. (well not really)
On real hardware the touchpad doesn't work at all. Even tried a Microsoft mouse and it doesn't work either.

Other Linux distros work flawlessly. (even other Puppies)

Hope you changed something with version 3.

wyzguy

#167 Post by wyzguy »

I am testing Alphaos 3.0 and have a nvidia gt430 card.
Dmesg shows nouveau for 'fb0' and I only get 640x480 resolution.

Lsmod shows nouveau and also nvidiafb (both loaded) at the same time.
Both open source and closed source can't run at the same time, can they?
There are several other errors shown in the log file, but they are probably
only secondary errors.

Is there an easy fix for this?

Thanks

ndrancs

nouveau

#168 Post by ndrancs »

wyzguy wrote:I am testing Alphaos 3.0 and have a nvidia gt430 card.
Dmesg shows nouveau for 'fb0' and I only get 640x480 resolution.

Lsmod shows nouveau and also nvidiafb (both loaded) at the same time.
Both open source and closed source can't run at the same time, can they?
There are several other errors shown in the log file, but they are probably
only secondary errors.

Is there an easy fix for this?

Thanks
please try this:
open and edit this file /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau.conf
add following line and change modeset to nomodeset

Code: Select all

options nouveau nomodeset=1
blacklist nouveau
blacklist rivafb
blacklist nvidiafb

this way working for me.

simargl

#169 Post by simargl »

efgee wrote:Hi,
tried version 1 and version 2 both in a VirtualBox and on real hardware.
On a VM the mouse has problems but is still somewhat usable. (well not really)
On real hardware the touchpad doesn't work at all. Even tried a Microsoft mouse and it doesn't work either.

Other Linux distros work flawlessly. (even other Puppies)

Hope you changed something with version 3.
If it doesn't work you need to find solution and notify me afterwards because I don't have laptop
to test touchpad. Or just use "Other Linux distros" if they "work flawlessly" and off course you
can go here http://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos/ thumb it down, anyway I'm
increasingly getting sick of all of this.

smil99: spkg update; spkg -gi pacman; pacman -Sy; ... install anything - pacman is very much untested but should work
Please don't tell me you like Mtpaint more than mighty old GIMP :lol:

simargl

#170 Post by simargl »

Some things about pacman:

- pacman in the repository is version 4.1.0rc so it's not stable version but latest release candidate
- it is compiled in alphaos
- pacman.conf file is replaced to more suitable from archpup
- mirrorlist file is also from archpup, packages date is fixed to 2013/03/31
- only two changes in installed packages to make them compatible with pacman: mplayer2 provides mplayer and mesa provides libgl
- my test with it was very short: installed leadpad and qtfm, both worked
- main reason for including pacman is to have easy access to big programs and games if they are not in spkg repository and programs that provide generic linux binaries like opera or google chrome
- suggestion: if you want to install qt4 application, first install my package from repository, it provides qt4 for arch packages and installed will save you 100 MB of disk space or more
- pacman is not part of the main iso, I think every system should have just one package manager - here that is spkg, and pacman is optional tool in case you need some extra applications

simargl

#171 Post by simargl »

Here is my prediction for future Puppy Linux versions:

- first they will include adrive as additional sfs module
- second they will understand that menu is too complicated and decide to follow standards like everyone else
- third they replace rox/jwm with spacefm/openbox
- fourth pet package gets real build script like in all normal Linux distributions (Arch, Gentoo, Slackware...)
- fifth drive icons on desktop are removed because usually they are not necessary
- and finally gtk3 replaces gtk2

... if I'm right, even partially, Alpha OS is window to Puppy's future, whether you like it or not.
Thanks for additional two new thumbs down, here is link http://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos/
suit yourself, that will make you feel important.. and it's so easy, just one click

efgee

#172 Post by efgee »

simargl wrote:If it doesn't work you need to find solution and notify me afterwards because I don't have laptop to test touchpad.
Understood, but if you look at the number of my posts you will realize that I'm not a Puppy-Geek, so bear with me...
simargl wrote: Or just use "Other Linux distros" if they "work flawlessly"
Thank you for the suggestion, didn't think of it...
simargl wrote:...and off course you can go here http://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos/ thumb it down
No thank you, why should I do that?
simargl wrote: anyway I'm increasingly getting sick of all of this.
If this is so than you are on the wrong side of the fence...
simargl wrote: ... if I'm right, even partially, Alpha OS is window to Puppy's future, whether you like it or not.
Yeah, but with your attitude your user base will shrink not increase...
simargl wrote: Thanks for additional two new thumbs down, here is link http://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos/ suit yourself, that will make you feel important.. and it's so easy, just one click
This wasn't me, because I think what you started is a neat project.
If there would be the the possibility for voting about friendliness on the other hand...

calm down...

BTW:
If you are already sick and tired of bug reports, than alphaOS does not have a bright future
(even big distro's have still bugs in it, so I don't understand what the big fuss is all about...)

2byte

#173 Post by 2byte »

second they will understand that menu is too complicated and decide to follow standards like everyone else
The sad part of this is that it's much simpler to use a standard xdg menu in puppy than the complicated mess it uses now. All of the menu editors edit the wrong files, fixmenus is way too complicated and slow, tooo many special X- categories... How many xdg *.menu files come with puppy now? 14? You only need 1, and 1 only. The only visible difference to the user is the main menu is produced in alphabetical order

sigh...

simargl

#174 Post by simargl »

Openbox pipe menu - shows 10 latest updates in spkg packages repository ...
Attachments
alphaos-20130402190308.png
(65.38 KiB) Downloaded 512 times

2byte

#175 Post by 2byte »

Ahh...

You must be using menu-cache instead of gnome-menus, and a version < 4.0; correct?

:D :D 8)

01micko

#176 Post by 01micko »

simargl wrote:Here is my prediction for future Puppy Linux versions:
The following is just IMHO, I can't speak for Barry.
simargl wrote:- first they will include adrive as additional sfs module
Maybe. I like it but Barry has not said yet.
simargl wrote:- second they will understand that menu is too complicated and decide to follow standards like everyone else
I think no. Barry designed it and he keeps "enhancing" it, fwiw.
simargl wrote:- third they replace rox/jwm with spacefm/openbox
No! JWM is very good. Maybe you don't like it but many do. As for Rox, well, it's code base is getting old so one day it wont compile with newer libs without extensive patching, which may be more trouble than what it's worth. I do know Barry is getting p*ssed off with gnome/gtk and wishing to move to QT5 (scroll down to Barry's April 1 post, I don't think it's April fool's joke!). Light weight replacements might be the problem, especially on the word processor front.
simargl wrote:- fourth pet package gets real build script like in all normal Linux distributions (Arch, Gentoo, Slackware...)
And spoil the chaos? :lol: . I have some build scripts, dunno what BK and others have. I know Iguleder has many. It's a good idea.
simargl wrote:- fifth drive icons on desktop are removed because usually they are not necessary
No, they will stay as long as Rox stays. They can be done in xfce/thunar, so I guess pcmanfm/spacefm can do it too. It's more a personal choice anyway. Any desktop icons are I suppose. Yeah, puppy ships with oh, about 50[? /jk]] on desktop which some love and some hate!
simargl wrote:- and finally gtk3 replaces gtk2
As long as programs still compile against gtk-2.0 then it stays. But over time this will be natural progression. How much time? Who knows?
simargl wrote:... if I'm right, even partially, Alpha OS is window to Puppy's future, whether you like it or not.
Thanks for additional two new thumbs down, here is link http://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos/
suit yourself, that will make you feel important.. and it's so easy, just one click
Good you have a cutting edge distro. Cutting edge always makes it back into stable eventually from whatever source.
Incidentally, I am not any of the thumbs down!

cheers!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Arefacti

Alpha OS

#177 Post by Arefacti »

simargl wrote:Hello musher0, no joke it's real thing, if you wanna fly use alphaOS it will take you to the moon :o Thought appareantly not everyone like it - two thumbs down here http://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos/ :(
don't really understand that ?
(english is a little difficult to read for me).

you mean Alpha OS does not please everyone? (jealousy perhaps?)
this is a few days my main distribution!
I have a few details like sound but I'm really happy of it : very very interesting, not close..
do not give the matter please do !
Have you seen the screenshots ? Alpha OS is in French like you promised : merci

Arefacti

lsusb

#178 Post by Arefacti »

Hello, to install my usb card sound (philips spa 5210), I tried a lsusb ; this command answer me :

Code: Select all

unable to initialize libusb: -99
Can somebody help me please ?

mavrothal

#179 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote:you
can go here http://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos/ thumb it down, anyway I'm
increasingly getting sick of all of this.
It is useless to wary about the thumbs-up/-down when they are less than 100 (too easily manipulated)
It is useless when they are more than 100 (already popular).
Feel free to wary when they are exactly 100 :-P

You may want to make your goals clear though, define your target audience and inform the prospective users about it.
People may come to Alpha thinking is an "Ubuntu killer", a "better Arch" or a "Puppy alternative", get disappointed since it is not, and thumb it down.
Make clear the AlphaOS is indeed an alpha software ie an OS in early development, likely to miss a lot of stuff, probably have difficulties handling hardware, likely to have bugs, needing polishing and enhancements, etc. and targets experienced Linux users preferably with an Arch/Gentoo background/mentality.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

simargl

#180 Post by simargl »

Arefacti, check if here is something usefull http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-879569.html.
I saw screenshot it looks good ,better on widescreen than on my 5:4 display :D

mavrothal, I think there needs to be stronger emotion than "just not liking" to thumb down some
program, goal is to prevent others from even trying it. I would never do that, if nothing else than
in respect for someone's time.

BarryK. comment "But, we might think in terms of our next step up to be Qt5 apps rather than
GTK3. So, if we can find Qt replacements for apps like Gnumeric and Abiword, that would be good. "
I would like to see this as I like Qt, but I'm pretty sure this will turn out just as a 1 April joke :wink: