Precise Puppy 5.5, released March 9, 2013

Please post any bugs you have found
Barburo

#41 Post by Barburo »

I have been impressed with the speed of 5.5. I like the increased flexibility of JWM, and I have used the forum to find more GTK and JWM themes together with extra icon sets to customize my desktop. A couple of observations:

- Frisbee was solid in 5.49 but in 5.5 it sometimes drops the wifi connection if I do not open a browser immediately. Seems to get it back again by retrying the connection.
- The on-screen font rendering seems a bit fuzzy. When displaying documents in the Chrome Browser (ver 25) I was expecting something sharper.

Frugal install, wifi connected only, on Acer aspire laptop 4gb memory, twin intel GU 1.3ghz cpus
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

witekjeden

#42 Post by witekjeden »

@Karl Godt
There is a backticks on polish keyboard,
```````````````````````
sorry for my stupid error. :shock:
Your command works ok, thanks for this.
Danke schön.

rerwin

#43 Post by rerwin »

Barburo wrote:Frisbee was solid in 5.49 but in 5.5 it sometimes drops the wifi connection if I do not open a browser immediately. Seems to get it back again by retrying the connection.
I have discovered why and have fixed it in the version of frisbee and its friends (in a "kit" tarball), posted here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 212#693212
All packages in the kit should be installed together into any of the 5.5 puppies (and any other built from the current woof, but not any older than that).
Richard

Whitesnow

Xbatalarm-1.0_x86.pet

#44 Post by Whitesnow »

I posted a very lightweight software, useful to solve battery laptop problem:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=85475
[b][i][color=darkred][size=134]*.* Snow *.*[/size][/color][/i][/b] :wink:

the-jub

#45 Post by the-jub »

:D just installed, looks good. nice touch that flash is already there. thanks :D

Barburo

#46 Post by Barburo »

Rerwin,
Thanks for the link to the Frisbee .pets. They are installed and I'll monitor the how my wifi connection behaves, plus I will keep an eye on that thread.
B.
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

recobayu

Frisbee

#47 Post by recobayu »

Is possible to connect hotspot with wpa2 enterprise by frisbee? How to enter username and password?

rerwin

Re: Connect wpa2 enterprise by frisbee

#48 Post by rerwin »

recobayu,
Thanks for your inquiry. I do not have a wpa2 system to test this with, so say this based on how frisbee appears to work.

Use the "Manage Saved Networks" button to go to a list of saved network profiles, select one, make all the necessary changes and then click "Save Profile". Exit the "Manage.." window (if necessary), select the network in the main frisbee window and click "Connect".

Note that you need to be quick to select and click, because the list gets refreshed every 15 seconds (I think), losing the selection indication. Please let us know how it works out.
Richard

TIW

Seamonkey Email Problem

#49 Post by TIW »

Hi everyone. I have downloaded Precise Puppy 5.5. and found that I cannot retrieve my email from Google mail as I have done until now using Sylpheed in Slacko 5.5 .
I have checked all settings off course, but no luck. Any ideas whats wrong ?
Thanks for your help.

watchdog

Re: Seamonkey Email Problem

#50 Post by watchdog »

TIW wrote:Hi everyone. I have downloaded Precise Puppy 5.5. and found that I cannot retrieve my email from Google mail as I have done until now using Sylpheed in Slacko 5.5 .
I have checked all settings off course, but no luck. Any ideas whats wrong ?
Thanks for your help.
Try this: go to your /root directory of slacko working install. Press Ctrl-H to show hidden files. Copy a backup of Mail and .sylpheed-2.0 directories. Put this directories in precise install in /root directory (delete first the existing Mail and .sylpheed-2.0 directories). If you can download the mail in slacko you will able to do this in precise, too.

TIW

Seamonkey Email Problem

#51 Post by TIW »

Hi watchdog,
I have done as you suggested and yes Sylpheed works great. However trying to retrieve my email with precise 5.5- sea monkey is still a failure. What can I do about that ? Thanks for your help.

watchdog

Re: Seamonkey Email Problem

#52 Post by watchdog »

TIW wrote:Hi watchdog,
However trying to retrieve my email with precise 5.5- seamonkey is still a failure. What can I do about that ? Thanks for your help.
Surely you have wrong settings about gmail. You must get the right settings about ssl for example. If seamonkey works downloading email from google in slacko you can follow the same backup procedure copying /root/.mozilla directory in slacko install to the precise install.

Pelo

I am on UBUNTU precise 12.04

#53 Post by Pelo »

Is there a plus-value using Puppy ? I dont understand, and packages request so many dependancies that the poor Puppy falls down under the weight !
Puppy must stay itself !

(I am on an usb 2 GO Key with live Ubuntu 12.04 installed )

666philb

#54 Post by 666philb »

pelo

if you're finding the newer pups a bit too modern, these might be more your 'cup of tea' http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65544
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Brown Mouse

#55 Post by Brown Mouse »

I keep getting this error when starting anything to do with Mozilla,ie.Seamonkey,Seamonkey mail,Thunderbird or Firefox 20.
Tried a reinstall but the same fault reappeared.
I presume it has something to do with the Mozilla applications I have added?
Attachments
Precise 5.5.jpg
(53.34 KiB) Downloaded 597 times

Brown Mouse

#56 Post by Brown Mouse »

Update on my above post.

Just to clarify the situation.
It was a specific Iron browser.pet that I installed which caused the error messages in my above post.
I have since installed an older version of Iron,error message free and all is working fine so far.

OscarTalks

#57 Post by OscarTalks »

Brown Mouse,

Was this the iron .pet from the requests thread by any chance? If so it was packaged for Slacko with the libgconf2 included which it needs in Slacko 5.5. For Precise and most other Puppies it needs to be packaged without that lib as it is already in the distro and we don't want to overwrite it with a wrong version.

I have been doing a bit of testing of that version 25 of iron in various Puppies and it seems OK if packaged accordingly. There is a version 26 out now for Windows so a version 26 for Linux should be out soon I guess.
Oscar in England

Brown Mouse

#58 Post by Brown Mouse »

OscarTalks wrote:Brown Mouse,

Was this the iron .pet from the requests thread by any chance?
OscarTalks

Yes,it was.
I'm now using a Lucid Iron version 23 and it works ok.

Whitesnow

Glade libs

#59 Post by Whitesnow »

Differently from Slacko 5.5, Glade on Precise 5.5 needs libgtk-3.so.0 and libgdk-3.so.0.
Could someone fix them in next version of devx (or right into the system, if needed for other purposes)?

On Precise 5.5:

Code: Select all

# ldd $(which glade) | grep -i 'not found'
	libgtk-3.so.0 => not found
	libgdk-3.so.0 => not found
	libgtk-3.so.0 => not found
	libgdk-3.so.0 => not found
# 
Thank you in advance.
[b][i][color=darkred][size=134]*.* Snow *.*[/size][/color][/i][/b] :wink:

redandwhitestripes

#60 Post by redandwhitestripes »

I posted this under the " Broadcom-STA "wl" wifi drivers - repository of latest" forum but as there's been no reply after 36 hours, I hope it's OK to copy it here, as I'm so keen to upgrade my Puppy.

OK this seems as good a place as any to ask for help.

My broadcom driver is :

10:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01

2.6.33.2 SMP mod_unload modversions 486

I'm using lupu_525 on a full hard disk install.
Have been doing so for a while wtth no problems, when I set it up I installed the broadcom-5.10.27.14-k2.6.25.16.pet as I did with all previous puppies and all was fine.

Today I tried running precise 5.5 on a live CD and the weird thing is that it
sees my neighbours' wi-fi networks but not my own! No clue atall.
Some neighbours are using WPA2, just like me.

When I go back to my full install, everything is fine again.

Can anyone suggest why this might be and what I need to install/uninstall?

EDIT: I scanned this thread and installed the closest pet I could find (Precise 5.2 version) but I get an error message "incorrect kernel for this data".
Last edited by redandwhitestripes on Fri 19 Apr 2013, 15:04, edited 2 times in total.