Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 31 Jul 2014, 05:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Synaptics Touchpad no right click (FIXED)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 2 of 3 [33 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Author Message
Semme

Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 3587
Location: World_Hub

PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar 2013, 05:33    Post subject:  

NPierce, these are my *comfortably working* (528) touchpad settings..
Code:
Parameter settings:
    LeftEdge                = 1700
    RightEdge               = 5300
    TopEdge                 = 1700
    BottomEdge              = 4200
    FingerLow               = 25
    FingerHigh              = 30
    FingerPress             = 255
    MaxTapTime              = 220
    MaxTapMove              = 220
    MaxDoubleTapTime        = 180
    SingleTapTimeout        = 180
    ClickTime               = 100
    FastTaps                = 0
    EmulateMidButtonTime    = 75
    EmulateTwoFingerMinZ    = 280
    EmulateTwoFingerMinW    = 7
    VertScrollDelta         = 122
    HorizScrollDelta        = 122
    VertEdgeScroll          = 1
    HorizEdgeScroll         = 0
    CornerCoasting          = 0
    VertTwoFingerScroll     = 1
    HorizTwoFingerScroll    = 0
    MinSpeed                = 0.1
    MaxSpeed                = 0.43
    AccelFactor             = 0.0035
    TrackstickSpeed         = 40
    EdgeMotionMinZ          = 29
    EdgeMotionMaxZ          = 159
    EdgeMotionMinSpeed      = 1
    EdgeMotionMaxSpeed      = 401
    EdgeMotionUseAlways     = 0
    UpDownScrolling         = 1
    LeftRightScrolling      = 1
    UpDownScrollRepeat      = 1
    LeftRightScrollRepeat   = 1
    ScrollButtonRepeat      = 100
    TouchpadOff             = 0
    GuestMouseOff           = 0
    LockedDrags             = 0
    LockedDragTimeout       = 5000
    RTCornerButton          = 2
    RBCornerButton          = 3
    LTCornerButton          = 0
    LBCornerButton          = 0
    TapButton1              = 1
    TapButton2              = 3
    TapButton3              = 2
    ClickFinger1            = 1
    ClickFinger2            = 1
    ClickFinger3            = 2
    CircularScrolling       = 0
    CircScrollDelta         = 0.1
    CircScrollTrigger       = 0
    CircularPad             = 0
    PalmDetect              = 0
    PalmMinWidth            = 10
    PalmMinZ                = 199
    CoastingSpeed           = 0
    PressureMotionMinZ      = 29
    PressureMotionMaxZ      = 159
    PressureMotionMinFactor = 1
    PressureMotionMaxFactor = 1
    GrabEventDevice         = 1
    TapAndDragGesture       = 1
    AreaLeftEdge            = 0
    AreaRightEdge           = 0
    AreaTopEdge             = 0
    AreaBottomEdge          = 0
    JumpyCursorThreshold    = 0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
npierce

Joined: 28 Dec 2009
Posts: 858

PostPosted: Tue 26 Mar 2013, 11:10    Post subject:  

Sorry that I didn't have time to get back to this yesterday.


Semme,

Thanks for posting your *comfortably working* touchpad settings.

It appears that markreaves has what is known as a "clickpad", which is a touchpad with a single button beneath it that the user clicks by pressing on the lower edge of the touchpad itself -- like Mac notebooks have had for a few years. For PCs, there are "button areas" marked on the touchpad, and since there is only one mechanical button, the touchpad is used to sense the location of the user's finger to determine which button is desired.

The driver needs to know where those "button areas" are on the touchpad; if they are undefined, any click will just be interpreted as a left-click. So additional options are needed (like "SoftButtonAreas") so that the driver will support the clickpad. Support for clickpads is still fairly new, being added to the Xorg Synaptics driver and X Server only last year.


markreaves,

Now that you have added the options to xorg.conf, try
Code:
synclient -l | grep -i ButtonArea

again to see if you now get values other than zero for RightButtonAreaLeft and RightButtonAreaTop.

If you still get all zeros, we'll need to figure out what went wrong.

If the button areas were defined properly, but the right button is still not working, it is possible the 1.11.3 version X Server you have doesn't properly support clickpads. I found this statement from Peter Hutterer, the guy that supports the Synaptics driver for Xorg:
Peter Hutterer wrote:
Clickpad support requires server 1.12 . . .

But in a footnote he adds:
Peter Hutterer wrote:
Ubuntu 12.04 will ship a 1.11/1.12 mix, that will work as well

So if Puppy Precise is using the same version of the X Server as Ubuntu Precise, then your X Server should be OK. Of course, we should note that he used the future tense, ". . . will work as well", which means that was just a theory, as yet untested when he wrote it.

I'm not sure, but I think the X Server in the Puppy Racy 5.5 that you tested may be even older than the one in Puppy Precise 5.5. But I believe Puppy Slacko 5.5 has a real 1.12 version X Server (1.12.3). So testing Puppy Slacko 5.5 might prove enlightening. You might still have to add the options to its xorg.conf file.


By the way, the full post by Peter Hutterer is worth reading:

Who-T: ClickPad support in the synaptics driver

He also has a follow-up:

Who-T: Clickpad kernel bugs in 3.3.x and 3.4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
markreaves

Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Tue 26 Mar 2013, 23:59    Post subject:  

The result of "synclient -l | grep -i ButtonArea" is still all zeros. :-\

npierce wrote:
Sorry that I didn't have time to get back to this yesterday.


Semme,

Thanks for posting your *comfortably working* touchpad settings.

It appears that markreaves has what is known as a "clickpad", which is a touchpad with a single button beneath it that the user clicks by pressing on the lower edge of the touchpad itself -- like Mac notebooks have had for a few years. For PCs, there are "button areas" marked on the touchpad, and since there is only one mechanical button, the touchpad is used to sense the location of the user's finger to determine which button is desired.

The driver needs to know where those "button areas" are on the touchpad; if they are undefined, any click will just be interpreted as a left-click. So additional options are needed (like "SoftButtonAreas") so that the driver will support the clickpad. Support for clickpads is still fairly new, being added to the Xorg Synaptics driver and X Server only last year.


markreaves,

Now that you have added the options to xorg.conf, try
Code:
synclient -l | grep -i ButtonArea

again to see if you now get values other than zero for RightButtonAreaLeft and RightButtonAreaTop.

If you still get all zeros, we'll need to figure out what went wrong.

If the button areas were defined properly, but the right button is still not working, it is possible the 1.11.3 version X Server you have doesn't properly support clickpads. I found this statement from Peter Hutterer, the guy that supports the Synaptics driver for Xorg:
Peter Hutterer wrote:
Clickpad support requires server 1.12 . . .

But in a footnote he adds:
Peter Hutterer wrote:
Ubuntu 12.04 will ship a 1.11/1.12 mix, that will work as well

So if Puppy Precise is using the same version of the X Server as Ubuntu Precise, then your X Server should be OK. Of course, we should note that he used the future tense, ". . . will work as well", which means that was just a theory, as yet untested when he wrote it.

I'm not sure, but I think the X Server in the Puppy Racy 5.5 that you tested may be even older than the one in Puppy Precise 5.5. But I believe Puppy Slacko 5.5 has a real 1.12 version X Server (1.12.3). So testing Puppy Slacko 5.5 might prove enlightening. You might still have to add the options to its xorg.conf file.


By the way, the full post by Peter Hutterer is worth reading:

Who-T: ClickPad support in the synaptics driver

He also has a follow-up:

Who-T: Clickpad kernel bugs in 3.3.x and 3.4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
npierce

Joined: 28 Dec 2009
Posts: 858

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2013, 09:24    Post subject:  

markreaves wrote:
. . . but right click worked once after restart of X then stopped working . . .

By "once", do you mean one single click, or did it work for awhile before it stopped working?

Let's have another look at Xorg.0.log, to see if there were errors when X configured the button area. Please post the output from this command:
Code:
grep -A 1 -i synaptics /var/log/Xorg.0.log

And to see how xorg.conf configures the driver, please post the output from this command:
Code:
awk '$1 == "Driver" && $2 == "\"synaptics\"", $1 == "EndSection"' /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
markreaves

Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2013, 15:27    Post subject:  

npierce wrote:
markreaves wrote:
. . . but right click worked once after restart of X then stopped working . . .

By "once", do you mean one single click, or did it work for awhile before it stopped working?

The right click menu showed once (one time) after I had applied that. Hasn't since.

npierce wrote:
Let's have another look at Xorg.0.log, to see if there were errors when X configured the button area. Please post the output from this command:
Code:
grep -A 1 -i synaptics /var/log/Xorg.0.log


Quote:
[ 46.106] (**) |-->Input Device "Synaptics Mouse"
[ 46.106] (**) |-->Input Device "Mouse0"
--
[ 46.118] (II) LoadModule: "synaptics"
[ 46.123] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/synaptics_drv.so
[ 46.152] (II) Module synaptics: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 46.152] compiled for 1.11.3, module version = 1.6.2
--
[ 46.297] (II) LoadModule: "synaptics"
[ 46.298] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/synaptics_drv.so
[ 46.298] (II) Module synaptics: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 46.298] compiled for 1.11.3, module version = 1.6.2
--
[ 47.568] (II) Using input driver 'synaptics' for 'Synaptics Mouse'
[ 47.568] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/synaptics_drv.so
[ 47.568] (**) Option "AlwaysCore"
[ 47.568] (**) Synaptics Mouse: always reports core events
[ 47.568] (**) Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
[ 48.796] (--) synaptics: Synaptics Mouse: auto-dev sets device to /dev/input/event1
[ 48.833] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event1"
[ 48.833] (II) synaptics: Synaptics Mouse: ignoring touch events for semi-multitouch device
[ 48.833] (II) synaptics: Synaptics Mouse: found clickpad property
[ 48.833] (--) synaptics: Synaptics Mouse: x-axis range 1472 - 5492
[ 48.833] (--) synaptics: Synaptics Mouse: y-axis range 1408 - 4556
[ 48.833] (--) synaptics: Synaptics Mouse: pressure range 0 - 255
[ 48.833] (--) synaptics: Synaptics Mouse: finger width range 0 - 15
[ 48.833] (--) synaptics: Synaptics Mouse: buttons: left double triple
[ 48.833] (--) synaptics: Synaptics Mouse: Vendor 0x2 Product 0x7
[ 48.834] (**) Option "SHMConfig" "on"
--
[ 48.834] (--) synaptics: Synaptics Mouse: touchpad found
[ 48.834] (**) Synaptics Mouse: always reports core events
[ 48.856] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Synaptics Mouse" (type: TOUCHPAD, id 6)
[ 48.857] (**) synaptics: Synaptics Mouse: (accel) MinSpeed is now constant deceleration 10.0
[ 48.857] (**) synaptics: Synaptics Mouse: MaxSpeed is now 3.00
[ 48.857] (**) synaptics: Synaptics Mouse: AccelFactor is now 0.003
[ 48.857] (**) Synaptics Mouse: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
[ 48.857] (**) Synaptics Mouse: (accel) acceleration profile 1
[ 48.857] (**) Synaptics Mouse: (accel) acceleration factor: 2.000
[ 48.857] (**) Synaptics Mouse: (accel) acceleration threshold: 4
[ 48.858] (--) synaptics: Synaptics Mouse: touchpad found
[ 48.858] (II) Using input driver 'mouse' for 'Mouse0'



npierce wrote:
And to see how xorg.conf configures the driver, please post the output from this command:
Code:
awk '$1 == "Driver" && $2 == "\"synaptics\"", $1 == "EndSection"' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Quote:
Driver "synaptics"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "LeftEdge" "1700"
Option "RightEdge" "5300"
Option "TopEdge" "1700"
Option "BottomEdge" "4200"
Option "FingerLow" "25"
Option "FingerHigh" "30"
Option "MaxTapTime" "220"
Option "MaxTapMove" "220"
Option "VertScrollDelta" "100"
Option "MinSpeed" "0.10"
Option "MaxSpeed" "0.30"
Option "AccelFactor" "0.0030"
Option "SHMConfig" "on"
#Option "Repeater" "/dev/ps2mouse"
Option "ClickPad" "true"
Option "SoftButtonAreas" "50% 0 82% 0 0 0 0 0"
EndSection
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
npierce

Joined: 28 Dec 2009
Posts: 858

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2013, 22:12    Post subject:  

OK, I see no Synaptics related errors in Xorg.0.log. And nothing in the synaptics driver configuration in xorg.conf looks like it would cause the problem you are seeing.

I've taken a look at the source code for the 1.6.2 synaptics driver, and there is definitely code in there to support setting "SoftButtonAreas".

So I am going to guess that it is being initialized properly, then being changed later.

The fact that it worked one time is consistent with that guess.

Please post the output of this command (note the leading dot and capital 'S' in the filename):
Code:
cat /root/.flSynclient

Unless it says "No such file or directory", hide the file with this command:
Code:
mv /root/.flSynclient /root/.flSynclient.hid

Then restart the X server. and try the button.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
markreaves

Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2013, 23:27    Post subject:  

npierce wrote:
OK, I see no Synaptics related errors in Xorg.0.log. And nothing in the synaptics driver configuration in xorg.conf looks like it would cause the problem you are seeing.

I've taken a look at the source code for the 1.6.2 synaptics driver, and there is definitely code in there to support setting "SoftButtonAreas".

So I am going to guess that it is being initialized properly, then being changed later.

The fact that it worked one time is consistent with that guess.

Please post the output of this command (note the leading dot and capital 'S' in the filename):
Code:
cat /root/.flSynclient

Unless it says "No such file or directory", hide the file with this command:
Code:
mv /root/.flSynclient /root/.flSynclient.hid

Then restart the X server. and try the button.


Right click is working! Thank you so much for this. However the speed of the cursor is very very slow. Is there a fix for that? I will be updating first post soon to show fix for others to find easy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
npierce

Joined: 28 Dec 2009
Posts: 858

PostPosted: Thu 28 Mar 2013, 09:12    Post subject:  

You're welcome.

Here's what I think was happening:

1. Originally the area for the right button was being defined with zero width and height (i.e., the entire button area was used as a left button area).

2. At some point you used the flsynclient utility to configure your touchpad.

3. flsynclient saved your current configuration and any changes you made to it in the /root/.flSynclient file. Your current configuration defined the right button area with zero width and height, so that is what was written to that file.

4. After you added the "SoftButtonAreas" line to xorg.conf, the right button area was properly defined when the X server was restarted.

5. Immediately after restarting, using the right button, you were able to bring up the right click menu.

6. After a few seconds the delayedrun utility ran the programs in your /root/Startup/ directory, which includes the load-touchpad-settings script, which loads the touchpad settings previously saved in the /root/.flSynclient file. So your right button disappeared.

7. By hiding the /root/.flSynclient file you prevented the load-touchpad-settings script from overwriting the good settings for your button area with the bad settings from the /root/.flSynclient file when you next restarted the X server.

8. Smile


By the way, even though right click is now working, I would still be curious to see the /root/.flSynclient file if you still have it. Of course it now has /root/.flSynclient.hid for a name.
Code:
cat /root/.flSynclient.hid

It would help me to better understand the problem and possibly find a way to prevent it for future clickpad users.


markreaves wrote:
However the speed of the cursor is very very slow. Is there a fix for that?

These commands should temporarily improve the speed:
Code:
synclient MinSpeed=1
synclient MaxSpeed=1.75
synclient AccelFactor=0.04

The change will be noticable immediately -- no need to restart the X server.

Those values are reasonable for genuine Synaptics touchpads using version 1.3.0 or newer of the Xorg synaptics driver (which have been included in Xorg since August 2010, about the same time that the 1.9.0 X server was released).

You have the 1.6.2 driver, so they should work for you. If they aren't quite ideal, you can experiment by making minor changes to the values, one at a time, until you are happy with them.

Once you are happy with them and want to make them permanent, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change these lines:
Code:
Option "MinSpeed" "0.10"
Option "MaxSpeed" "0.30"
Option "AccelFactor" "0.0030"

to:
Code:
Option "MinSpeed" "1"
Option "MaxSpeed" "1.75"
Option "AccelFactor" "0.04"

or whatever values you determined were more preferable for you when you experimented using synclient.

Actually, I think that if you just removed those three lines, it uses the values I gave by default. But, of course, if you want values that are slightly different, you need to retain the lines.

(The values that were there before were for versions of the synaptics driver earlier than 1.3.0. I am surprised that Puppy Precise would use them.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
markreaves

Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Thu 28 Mar 2013, 17:54    Post subject:  

Quote:
Parameter settings:
LeftEdge = 1700
RightEdge = 5300
TopEdge = 1700
BottomEdge = 4200
FingerLow = 25
FingerHigh = 30
FingerPress = 256
MaxTapTime = 220
MaxTapMove = 220
MaxDoubleTapTime = 180
SingleTapTimeout = 180
ClickTime = 100
FastTaps = 0
EmulateMidButtonTime = 0
EmulateTwoFingerMinZ = 282
EmulateTwoFingerMinW = 7
VertScrollDelta = 100
HorizScrollDelta = 102
VertEdgeScroll = 1
HorizEdgeScroll = 0
CornerCoasting = 0
VertTwoFingerScroll = 1
HorizTwoFingerScroll = 0
MinSpeed = 1
MaxSpeed = 6.26
AccelFactor = 0.003
TrackstickSpeed = 40
EdgeMotionMinZ = 30
EdgeMotionMaxZ = 160
EdgeMotionMinSpeed = 1
EdgeMotionMaxSpeed = 408
EdgeMotionUseAlways = 0
TouchpadOff = 0
LockedDrags = 0
LockedDragTimeout = 5000
RTCornerButton = 2
RBCornerButton = 3
LTCornerButton = 0
LBCornerButton = 0
TapButton1 = 1
TapButton2 = 3
TapButton3 = 0
ClickFinger1 = 1
ClickFinger2 = 3
ClickFinger3 = 0
CircularScrolling = 0
CircScrollDelta = 0.1
CircScrollTrigger = 0
CircularPad = 0
PalmDetect = 0
PalmMinWidth = 10
PalmMinZ = 200
CoastingSpeed = 20
CoastingFriction = 50
PressureMotionMinZ = 30
PressureMotionMaxZ = 160
PressureMotionMinFactor = 1
PressureMotionMaxFactor = 1
ResolutionDetect = 1
GrabEventDevice = 1
TapAndDragGesture = 1
AreaLeftEdge = 0
AreaRightEdge = 0
AreaTopEdge = 0
AreaBottomEdge = 0
HorizHysteresis = 8
VertHysteresis = 8
ClickPad = 1
RightButtonAreaLeft = 0
RightButtonAreaRight = 0
RightButtonAreaTop = 0
RightButtonAreaBottom = 0
MiddleButtonAreaLeft = 0
MiddleButtonAreaRight = 0
MiddleButtonAreaTop = 0
MiddleButtonAreaBottom = 0


As well, the following "feels pretty good" to me:
synclient MinSpeed=3
synclient AccelFactor=0.09
synclient MaxSpeed=6.26

npierce wrote:
You're welcome.

Here's what I think was happening:

1. Originally the area for the right button was being defined with zero width and height (i.e., the entire button area was used as a left button area).

2. At some point you used the flsynclient utility to configure your touchpad.

3. flsynclient saved your current configuration and any changes you made to it in the /root/.flSynclient file. Your current configuration defined the right button area with zero width and height, so that is what was written to that file.

4. After you added the "SoftButtonAreas" line to xorg.conf, the right button area was properly defined when the X server was restarted.

5. Immediately after restarting, using the right button, you were able to bring up the right click menu.

6. After a few seconds the delayedrun utility ran the programs in your /root/Startup/ directory, which includes the load-touchpad-settings script, which loads the touchpad settings previously saved in the /root/.flSynclient file. So your right button disappeared.

7. By hiding the /root/.flSynclient file you prevented the load-touchpad-settings script from overwriting the good settings for your button area with the bad settings from the /root/.flSynclient file when you next restarted the X server.

8. Smile


By the way, even though right click is now working, I would still be curious to see the /root/.flSynclient file if you still have it. Of course it now has /root/.flSynclient.hid for a name.
Code:
cat /root/.flSynclient.hid

It would help me to better understand the problem and possibly find a way to prevent it for future clickpad users.


markreaves wrote:
However the speed of the cursor is very very slow. Is there a fix for that?

These commands should temporarily improve the speed:
Code:
synclient MinSpeed=1
synclient MaxSpeed=1.75
synclient AccelFactor=0.04

The change will be noticable immediately -- no need to restart the X server.

Those values are reasonable for genuine Synaptics touchpads using version 1.3.0 or newer of the Xorg synaptics driver (which have been included in Xorg since August 2010, about the same time that the 1.9.0 X server was released).

You have the 1.6.2 driver, so they should work for you. If they aren't quite ideal, you can experiment by making minor changes to the values, one at a time, until you are happy with them.

Once you are happy with them and want to make them permanent, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change these lines:
Code:
Option "MinSpeed" "0.10"
Option "MaxSpeed" "0.30"
Option "AccelFactor" "0.0030"

to:
Code:
Option "MinSpeed" "1"
Option "MaxSpeed" "1.75"
Option "AccelFactor" "0.04"

or whatever values you determined were more preferable for you when you experimented using synclient.

Actually, I think that if you just removed those three lines, it uses the values I gave by default. But, of course, if you want values that are slightly different, you need to retain the lines.

(The values that were there before were for versions of the synaptics driver earlier than 1.3.0. I am surprised that Puppy Precise would use them.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
npierce

Joined: 28 Dec 2009
Posts: 858

PostPosted: Fri 29 Mar 2013, 20:51    Post subject:  

markreaves,

Thanks for posting your old .flSynclient file. That helps me to see what parameters are recognized by your clickpad, and how they were set before we changed some options.

I'm trying to find a way for Puppy to detect a clickpad so that it can be set up properly without the need for a user to place mysterious incantations into xorg.conf. If you have a few minutes, please post the output of this command:
Code:
grep -i synaptics /var/log/messages*


By the way, speaking of "mysterious incantations", if you would like a middle button, I think one can be added. I realize that your clickpad probably only shows a left and a right button, but I think that the following change would allow the center of the button area (where the divider for the left and right buttons is) to act as a middle mouse button. I could be wrong.

If you would like to try for a middle button, replace this line in xorg.conf:
Code:
Option "SoftButtonAreas"  "50% 0 82% 0 0 0 0 0"

with this:
Code:
 Option "SoftButtonAreas" "65% 0 82% 0 40% 64% 82% 0"


In an attempt to reduce the mystery, here is what those values represent:

Values are given in percentages of touchpad width or height. Values of zero are equivalent to 0% when defining the left or top edge of a button, or 100% when defining the right or bottom edge of a button (unless opposite edges of the button are both zero, then the button is not defined).

1. Distance from left edge of touchpad to left edge of right button
2. Distance from left edge of touchpad to right edge of right button.
3. Distance from top edge of touchpad to top edge of right button
4. Distance from top edge of touchpad to bottom edge of right button.
5. Distance from left edge of touchpad to left edge of middle button
6. Distance from left edge of touchpad to right edge of middle button.
7. Distance from top edge of touchpad to top edge of middle button
8. Distance from top edge of touchpad to bottom edge of middle button.

So the example above would give you the following widths for left, middle, and right:

<--------40%-------><----24%---> <------35%------>

Of course, if you are happy without a middle button, you can just leave those values at zero, and use the above information to fine tune the percentages for your right button. Or not, if it is fine as it is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
markreaves

Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Sat 30 Mar 2013, 14:40    Post subject:  

npierce wrote:
markreaves,

Thanks for posting your old .flSynclient file. That helps me to see what parameters are recognized by your clickpad, and how they were set before we changed some options.

I'm trying to find a way for Puppy to detect a clickpad so that it can be set up properly without the need for a user to place mysterious incantations into xorg.conf. If you have a few minutes, please post the output of this command:
Code:
grep -i synaptics /var/log/messages*


Quote:
Mar 31 16:48:09 Unknown user.info kernel: [ 4.200495] psmouse serio1: synaptics: Touchpad model: 1, fw: 7.4, id: 0x1e0b1, caps: 0xd04773/0xe40000/0x5a0400
Mar 31 16:48:09 Unknown user.info kernel: [ 4.269598] input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input1


As for middle button, I've never had a use for it. Scrolling and right click for me is very important however lol.

I agree that it would be of benefit for puppy to come with the ability for touchpads/clickpads to "just work". Barring that there should at least be a script or pet package to "fix it". On a side note with the script, I could make a script to alter the xorg.conf file I'm sure. However might take awhile as I've done very little in the way of editing files with bash scripts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
npierce

Joined: 28 Dec 2009
Posts: 858

PostPosted: Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:49    Post subject:  

markreaves,

Thanks for the excerpt from your /var/log/messages file. That's just what I wanted.

The last of the hex numbers, 0x5a0400, has the bit that identifies your touchpad as being a clickpad (bit 20, if the LSB is considered bit 0). That bit could be tested, and Puppy could adjust xorg.conf if it were true.

But it may be possible to get it right without looking at that bit. I'm doing some tests. And I have a quick question:

Does your clickpad support normal dragging -- holding the left button with one finger while dragging with another finger -- or do you have to use an alternative method (such as tap then drag)?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
markreaves

Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Thu 04 Apr 2013, 13:12    Post subject:  

Not quite sure what you mean, however I can hold left button, drag with other finger to highlight text.

npierce wrote:
markreaves,

Thanks for the excerpt from your /var/log/messages file. That's just what I wanted.

The last of the hex numbers, 0x5a0400, has the bit that identifies your touchpad as being a clickpad (bit 20, if the LSB is considered bit 0). That bit could be tested, and Puppy could adjust xorg.conf if it were true.

But it may be possible to get it right without looking at that bit. I'm doing some tests. And I have a quick question:

Does your clickpad support normal dragging -- holding the left button with one finger while dragging with another finger -- or do you have to use an alternative method (such as tap then drag)?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
npierce

Joined: 28 Dec 2009
Posts: 858

PostPosted: Thu 04 Apr 2013, 14:01    Post subject:  

Thanks. Yes, that's what I meant.

Lots of old bug reports exist from people who could not do that with clickpads. I wondered if this was still a problem. None of the reports I saw, nor the commits for the synaptics driver, made it clear that this had been fixed. So, since it works for you, either it has been fixed, or it was never broken and the bug reports were just from people with clickpads that didn't support normal left-button dragging.

Good. That's one less thing to worry about.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
npierce

Joined: 28 Dec 2009
Posts: 858

PostPosted: Thu 02 May 2013, 17:24    Post subject:  

I've been meaning to follow-up on this, and suggest a modification to Puppy that would allow Puppy to support the right button on clickpads without any user modifications. Sorry that it has taken almost a month to get back to this, but I finally had a chance to look at.

It looks like the simplest way to add this support may be just a one-line addition to xorgwizard (and xorgwizard-automatic).

I see this line in your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file:
Code:
[ 48.833] (II) synaptics: Synaptics Mouse: found clickpad property

That seems to indicate that the driver recognises that your touchpad is a clickpad. More evidence of that is provided by the following line in your old .flSynclient file (which was created before you added the 'Option "ClickPad" "true"' line to your xorg.conf file):
Code:
ClickPad = 1

So I am hoping that you do not need the 'Option "ClickPad" "true"' line in your xorg.conf file.

But it is always good to test out theories, so, just to be sure, please try removing that line from /etc/X11/xorg.conf. In other words, change this:
Code:
   Option "ClickPad"         "true"
   Option "SoftButtonAreas"  "50% 0 82% 0 0 0 0 0"

to this:
Code:
   Option "SoftButtonAreas"  "50% 0 82% 0 0 0 0 0"

Then restart the X server and verify that your right button still works.

Testing with my own non-clickpad touchpad has shown that if the driver doesn't recognise the touchpad as a clickpad, and the "ClickPad" option isn't set true, the "SoftButtonAreas" option will simply be ignored. In fact, synclient -l will report "ClickPad = 0" and won't report the soft button areas at all. This is good, since a non-clickpad touchpad shouldn't have soft button areas defined.

(Not surprisingly, if I have the 'Option "ClickPad" "true"' line in my xorg.conf file, my non-clickpad touchpad is not happy.)

Previously I had thought that it might be necessary for xorgwizard (and xorgwizard-automatic) to look at /var/log/messages and, depending upon the touchpad capabilities reported there, write different lines to the xorg.conf file. But apparently the driver is smart enough just to ignore the "SoftButtonAreas" option if it doesn't recognise the touchpad as a clickpad. If it is also true that you don't need the "ClickPad" option in your xorg.conf file, the code can be much simpler than I first thought.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 3 [33 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1813s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0050s) ][ GZIP on ]