Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 28 Nov 2014, 09:42
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Cheap Android machine for Puppy?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
prehistoric

PostPosted: Mon 01 Apr 2013, 13:02    Post subject:  Cheap Android machine for Puppy?
Subject description: Soundlogic Android netbook

Just got email from eBay about this cheap machine. Is this reasonable for Puppy on ARM? What about other hardware hacking?
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Mon 01 Apr 2013, 16:27    Post subject:  

There is another item found in newegg 20 dollars cheaper, and already in the hands of a master puppy builder. Search for my username to locate thread. Sorry i'm posting from a ARM device running android and haven't mastered cutpaste.
headfound

PostPosted: Mon 01 Apr 2013, 16:52    Post subject:  

there are similar things on amazon but with more ram (which it probably needs to run decently) and android 4 -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netbook-Android-Doubled-Processor-supported/dp/B0090463E4/ref=pd_cp_computers_0

prehistoric

PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2013, 03:38    Post subject:  

This is the item Ted Dog refers to: refurbished Craig Netbook. (And why won't anyone sell one that is simply furbished?)

I'll agree that more RAM, and faster dual-core processors, are preferable. I'm less concerned about the Android version, since this would be replaced. I have a Rikomagic MK802 IIIs now, which I've plugged into a friend's massive plasma screen TV, (enabling him to play Angry Birds.) There's always a question of where you stop, short of a quad-core with a Retina display like Apple.

What I had noticed was that many wireless keyboard/mouse or touchpad combinations large enough for touch typing tended to cost about the same as obsolete machines which could run an Android app making it an input device, as well as having some stand-alone capabilities.

My current solution is an Asus eee wireless keyboard/mouse I got for an eee pc. (I just noticed that Star Surplus has a sale on these with non-US keyboards, for those who need Belgian, Swedish, German, Turkish, Thai, Slovak, etc. I'm hoping a friend to whom I recommended this got one with QWERTY keys.) I'm still trying to get my Bluetooth keyboard/touchpad to pair with the Rikomagic MK802 IIIs on start up. At present it needs a pointing device plugged into the USB port to allow me to set up a Bluetooth device, which sort of defeats the purpose.
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Fri 05 Apr 2013, 17:41    Post subject:  

Well my el-cheap0 Craig refurb has been delivered, can't wait to get home to play with it. Hope my new calf (part longhorn) does not chew up the box, she likes cardboard..
She is a really cute calf mocha colored with a perfect white heart shaped patch on forehead. Might signup with a new name, like cow dog, to show her face.. Wink
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to: