How to boot pfix=ram with savefile?

Booting, installing, newbie
popov

How to boot pfix=ram with savefile?

#1 Post by popov »

I want to add special entry in my syslinux to run puppy directly from RAM in such a way that it loads save file but doesn't save to it. Is it possible? Normal pfix=ram just loads base sfs, while I need few customized programs from savefile. Thanks.

tommy

#2 Post by tommy »

I see you joined Murga's forum just 9 days ago... I assume you are new to Puppy. When booting, puppy loads its base .sfs file into ram only if there is enough free space in ram. Older puppies (1.x) needed at least 128 MB of ram to do this, newer puppies need more (384MB and more).
pfix=ram means 'don't use saved sessions', it doesn't mean 'load into ram' if there isn't enough ram!!

There are no puppy boot options to load a pupsave without finally asking not to save changes back into it when a shutdown is performed.

Look http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 6&start=15
and
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 72df41de15
to see workarounds.

I also suggest you to use Puppy google search to find answers to your questions:
http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

Other solution (needs a CD-burner):
burn plain puppy iso to a multisession CD
boot puppy from this CD and make changes you want
shutdown and save first session to CD
voilà!
Now puppy will boot the first and only session it finds on the CD, and when you shutdown just answer NO to save a second session ( or just hard-shutdown your PC pressing the power-off button for 5 seconds).
If you have a desktop PC and an old CD READER (NOT BURNER) then boot puppy from that drive, to be sure not to burn other sessions to it!

Bye!

popov

#3 Post by popov »

But then would it be good to remaster puppy so it remembers my customization, and then just use pfix=ram? Would such a remastered sfs load customizations normally?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I think if you successfully remastered Puppy then it would. Give it a try. Use rewritable CD or DVD.

If you're ok with booting from the CD or DVD every time, then I'd say try the multisession approach. It's much easier than remastering, for essentially the same result.

I wonder what would happen if you made your existing Save file read only. Would Puppy get so confused that it would seize up?

Sylvander

#5 Post by Sylvander »

Read THIS....
Particularly point 4.

Then complete this.
Try not to let the repeated links/instructions confuse you.

partsman

#6 Post by partsman »

Hello all
I am no expert but what if you moved or coppied pupsave to a flash drive then installed pupsave config pet ? This would alow you to chose at shutdown if you want to save or not . also back-up you pupsave before you do anything ! just a thought ! if you use pupsave config pet make sure to look at the options for it under setup or utilities as you can control
when puppy writes to save file ! default is every 30min i think unless ram gets full first then puppy will save earlier !
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

Les Kerf

#7 Post by Les Kerf »

partsman wrote:Hello all
I am no expert but what if you moved or coppied pupsave to a flash drive then installed pupsave config pet ? This would alow you to chose at shutdown if you want to save or not . also back-up you pupsave before you do anything ! just a thought ! if you use pupsave config pet make sure to look at the options for it under setup or utilities as you can control
when puppy writes to save file ! default is every 30min i think unless ram gets full first then puppy will save earlier !
Yes, I have done this using the pupsaveconfig-2.2.4.pet and it works quite well. The system runs in ram, and you are asked to save or not to save at each shutdown. This is the closest thing I have found to running a live CD. Each has its advantages.
Les