On boot,icon for Glipper disappears from Precise 5.4.2 tray

Using applications, configuring, problems
tytower

On boot,icon for Glipper disappears from Precise 5.4.2 tray

#1 Post by tytower »

Regularly now on bootup the space for Glipper is there but the icon is gone .Nothing happens if I click on the space . If I restart the xserver is is the first one loaded so that makes me think it is clashing on bootup with something else and I want to move its start instruction to another line near the end .

I can't find the startup line in initd as yet
Can anyone tell me where this is?
Last edited by tytower on Mon 20 May 2013, 22:21, edited 7 times in total.

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

I think you're confusing xclipboard with something like glipper/glipper-lite or parcellite. Can you confirm which one you're running? (try running pprocess or top to see).

Can you run dmesg in a terminal and see if there are any relevant error messages? Are there any messages if you try to start the offending program from a terminal?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

tytower

#3 Post by tytower »

Yeh its Glipper- I've changed the first post
I dont see any messages specifically mentioning Glipper
Glipper runs fine in a terminal and adds a second icon to the tray when done that way
When next I lose it I will see what happens doing that.

As I said it seems to be a timing clash

tytower

#4 Post by tytower »

When it has been lost the icon is gone but the space is there for it .Clicking on that space does nothing .

Running glipper in a terminal produces another icon which works well but is removed when you close the terminal

Thats good to know when I am in the middle of something and the glipper has disappeared , at least I can use it without restarting the X server and losing my place.

`f00

#5 Post by `f00 »

Have had that happen occasionally (an item in the dock but 'off' the visible dockspace) with jwm's dock/systray.

Something to try - load something else that works from the dock (like xpad) and quit it .. often your lost item returns from offstage.

Yeah, might be a timing thing depending on what else is in the dock (netmon or whatever) .. the dockboy tripped over the lines and bumped his nog on the pin, so to speak ‡z²

tytower

#6 Post by tytower »

Thanks for the reply
I was looking to find where the script gets started and move it about a bit , after the network icon loads for example.

So if someone can tell me where it hides....?
Last edited by tytower on Tue 16 Apr 2013, 07:00, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

What if you gave 'glipper_shell' a sleep delay from somewhere like 'Startup' or rc.local?

You'd probably have to kill it during shutdown too as to avoid it auto-starting..

Let's hope you haven't found my post, er, ah :wink: cryptic.

`f00

#8 Post by `f00 »

glipper

If I recall correctly it hides ;) in ~/.xinitrc - toggling is done via the glipper ui. Maybe comment it out of .xinitrc and play with sleep durations in a ~/Startup/<script>, keep re-Xing 'til you get it so it works for you. Perhaps take a look at other scripts in ~/Startup.

sleep <number-of-seconds>; <app> .. you might need an & at the end (try it that way from a console to see if it's needed to keep the app running after it's started and you close the console). No idea if glipper has cli options you might want.

Another place to look for loads is delayed_run (just an fyi from .xinitrc)

gl&hf

disciple

#9 Post by disciple »

Yes, i have a feeling a sleep might sort it out. Try what 'f00 suggests. There are no cl options.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

L18L

glipper

#10 Post by L18L »

Strange thing: nothing about Puppy and/or version of glipper :roll:
... but no, now I see: endless discussion at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72156

My glipper 0.95.1 is working ok in puppy wary, racy slacko, precise :!:

disciple

#11 Post by disciple »

I thought this time it seemed like a different issue since the "space for Glipper" is still there, and Tytower is already aware of a workaround he's used previously, for that problem, and this time there is no mention of the problem occurring after a panel restart.
Could you please clarify, Tytower? Does it seem to be the same problem?
Are you using the Glipper that came with your Puppy? Which Puppy is that? Which WM/panel are you using?
My glipper 0.95.1 is working ok in puppy wary, racy slacko, precise
But you have a different machine, possibly a different wm/panel, etc.
Anyway, is that the original 0.95.1, not Technosaurus' version, which also displays that version number?
If it is the original 0.95.1, it should crash in some circumstances. To test reliably, exit and then restart JWM without exiting X.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

L18L

glipper

#12 Post by L18L »

disciple wrote:Anyway, is that the original 0.95.1, not Technosaurus' version, which also displays that version number?
If it is the original 0.95.1, it should crash in some circumstances. To test reliably, exit and then restart JWM without exiting X.
Sorry it is not the original. It is Technosaurus' 0.95.1 :!:
:arrow: It should have received another version number :!:

I have it in JWM , never crashed on jwm -restart or anything else...
( I don't use it, just for purposes of internationalization )

tytower

#13 Post by tytower »

Thanks fellas that gives me a few alternatives

Found it OK in ~/.xinitrc

About line 165 or so
#v2.17 removed, interferes with clipboard in Composer....
##v2.15 disovered by GuestToo...
#[ "`which glipper`" != "" ] && glipper &
#v2.17 made it optional...
[ -f /root/.glipper_on ] && glipper &
Tried it at line 200 odd and no change -lost it again
Tried it at 100 or so and that seems to work but I'll watch it for a few dozen boots and maybe play with it some more if needed.
EDIT worked for 100 boots or so then consistently lost it again
so I moved it to line 27 and thats OK for the moment see last post
JWM loads at the end of the script

Thanks again

Semme I'll have to work on that . Cryptic is my crossword of choice but I might need a bit of what you have .
Last edited by tytower on Mon 20 May 2013, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

tytower

#14 Post by tytower »

I hadn't noticed before but when it booted and the icon was not there there was just a black square where the cpu activity should be .

I was concentrated on the glipper icon and didn't notice that.

Second boot since change of position in script file and all's well.For those that have to have these things it Precise 5.4.2

tytower

#15 Post by tytower »

After about 20 boots it has not missed a beat - works well !
If it misbehaves I will post it back here

tytower

#16 Post by tytower »

Yes I would say that has fixed ity . Not lost the icon now in probably 50 plus boots.

tytower

#17 Post by tytower »

Hmm disapointingly the problem seems to have reemerged and now quite regularly gives the old problem on boot?

I'm not sure what else to try I didn't want to mess with sleep timing as I don't know how that works but I might give it a go if moving it again does not fix it

I probably booted without problem 100 times at least before it started again so maybe some variable is filling up and causing this.
Last edited by tytower on Mon 20 May 2013, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

tytower

#18 Post by tytower »

I moved the start up line to line 27 in /root/.initrc and it seems to be back working again