Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 23 Nov 2014, 01:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge » Multi-session live-CD/DVD
How to make a multi-session cd?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
freke

PostPosted: Sun 27 Aug 2006, 11:18    Post subject:  How to make a multi-session cd?  

I am trying to load puppy onto a multi-session cd and I followed the helpline to cdburner.exe.se/? there is a symbol where I have shown as a ? which is like the number 8 turned on its side, I do not know what the symbol is an cannot find it on my keyboard.
freke
Runemaster

PostPosted: Sun 27 Aug 2006, 11:42    Post subject:  

it means that there is no value set for that specific place, or either it means infinite.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 27 Aug 2006, 13:12    Post subject:  

The most fool-proof way to put Puppy on a multisession CD is with burniso2cd in Puppy. First, burn a regular (bootable) CD of the Puppy iso, boot that, then use Start -> Multimedia -> burniso2cd to burn a multisession CD (or better yet, DVD.)
raffy

PostPosted: Sun 27 Aug 2006, 19:20    Post subject: infinite symbol  

It's an "infinite" symbol that is usually used in Wikis to mean "a link to outside".

You should use any CD burner that can leave the CD open for adding files. There are many terms used here, like "not fixating", etc. The easiest way to do this is burn a Puppy CD initially through an easy/small burn program like burncdcc, use this CD to run Puppy, then burn a new CD for multisession using Puppy.

freke

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep 2006, 04:31    Post subject: multi session dvd  

Thanks for all the good advice but please remember I am rather thick and out of my depth when it comes to puppy linux, so where can I buy a multi session dvd?
Hopefully with a dvd running I could make a start.

Freke
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep 2006, 09:58    Post subject:  

Cool

You don't. A normal DVD is offered the option to be left open as a multisession (open to record onto over many session) when you save Puppy - after the first powerdown.

If you are still unable, then buy a CD from Barry
Some Puppys will send out a free CD / DVD in the UK
http://www.puppyos.com/download/downpage.htm

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep 2006, 11:07    Post subject:  

You do realize that to use a multisession DVD your computer must have a DVD burner? Also, if you don't have a hard drive with a swap partition on it, you need a lot of RAM (>256MB) for best results with multisession CD or DVD. You can create a swap partition on your hard drive, with Gparted, once you have a bootable Puppy CD or DVD. Smile
marksouth2000

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep 2006, 13:02    Post subject: Re: multi session dvd  

freke wrote:
Thanks for all the good advice but please remember I am rather thick and out of my depth when it comes to puppy linux,

I see that you're in the UK. People in the UK are told this kind of thing all the time, about being too thick to work stuff out and having to have other people think for them.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BELIEVE THIS ABOUT YOURSELF.

The fact that you can get into the forum and post a perfectly legible query means that you alreay have more than enough ability to cope with Puppy. You only have to realise that learning is normal.

EVERY SINGLE PERSON POSTING IN THIS FORUM STARTED OUT KNOWING ZZZEEERRRROOO ABOUT PUPPY. INCLUDING BARRY!

Please, Freke, search the forum, read all the new posts for a couple of days, buy yourself a fresh DVD-RW (or DVD+RW) for about a fiver at Tesco, at give it a try. If it doesn't work right, you can blank it and start over. And keep asking questions. And don't give up on yourself.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep 2006, 13:24    Post subject: Re: multi session dvd  

marksouth2000 wrote:
...You only have to realise that learning is normal.

I would say he should realize that it is normal for learning to be painful if you're over 30. That's what makes us old farts so cranky. Laughing

Here's a neat trick you can use if you have a DVD burner and a DVD+ or -RW:
Download the Puppy iso in Windows, if that's all you have. Use whatever burning program you have in Windows to burn a bootable DVD of the iso. Then boot the DVD+/-RW, mount the Windows partition where you put the Puppy iso and use burniso2cd to burn it on the same DVD+/-RW. No need to blank the DVD first, just overburn it. I've done this several times, with both DVD+ and -RW. I believe there are technical reasons why +RW is better than -RW if you're going to do it, but both have worked for me. I've never tried multisession Puppy on CD-RW but I think you must erase it first.

pmshah

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep 2006, 15:08    Post subject:  

You need not go through the dual cd burning process. Simply burn the Puppy Linux iso to a cd by any half way decent program ensuring that you DO NOT CLOSE the sesion.

This is available on all versions of nero.
freke

PostPosted: Sun 24 Sep 2006, 08:28    Post subject:  

I am very grateful for all the advice, but when I tried to save using a blank dvd in burniso2cd (using an external LG ) writer I then got a screen asking more questions than I could understand, when I clicked ok without entering anything in the fields the next screen told me if the burn had been successful it had loaded it onto the dvd.
As you in the know will know it did not work.
Sorry marksouth2000 you are wrong I am thick!

freke (aged 73)
freke

PostPosted: Tue 26 Sep 2006, 03:48    Post subject:  

Limited success for an old thicko, I am unable as yet to make a multisession cd/dvd and my bios will not boot from a usb memory stick, so I copied the puppy live cd onto the a 512mb usb stick put the cd and the usb stick in my pc and ran a session in puppy linux, the next time I started all was set up and I have done 4 sessions since and ech time it worked, I now have to get my epson d88 recognised and fingers crossed I can move forward.
Freke

Usin puppy linux 2.01 Laughing
marksouth2000

PostPosted: Tue 26 Sep 2006, 11:30    Post subject:  

freke wrote:
Sorry marksouth2000 you are wrong I am thick!

Hey Freke!

I see that you're not as thick as you originally thought, and you know more than you did a few days ago. Cool. Keep it up! Very Happy

Mark Cool
Bert

PostPosted: Tue 26 Sep 2006, 15:40    Post subject:  

freke wrote:
I am very grateful for all the advice, but when I tried to save using a blank dvd in burniso2cd (using an external LG ) writer I then got a screen asking more questions than I could understand,

Could it be that the external LG writer is the cause of Freke's problems?
I seem to remember Barry wrote that better support for usb-dvd-burners would start from Puppy 2.10? Freke didn't mention what Puppy version he's using.
Just an idea. Welcome Freke!
freke

PostPosted: Wed 27 Sep 2006, 04:04    Post subject:  

Thanks Bert, you are probably right I have ordered an internal dvd writer but in the meantime I have found the combined cd usb ideal for me and if I want to experiment I can use a second usb and if I cock it up as is most likely I can go back to the original usb stick.
I am using puppy linux 2.01
Freke
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge » Multi-session live-CD/DVD
Jump to: