pup-volume-monitor-0.1.15 and desktop-drive-icons-0.0.6

Core libraries and systems
akash_rawal

Re: Desktop-drive-icons

#101 Post by akash_rawal »

mavrothal wrote: The desktop_drive_icons-0.0.4 link point to desktop_drive_icons-0.0.3.tar.gz.
desktop_drive_icons-0.0.4.tar.gz can be found in the "older versions" :)
Thanks to catch the mistake. Had been in hurry.

The link has been corrected.
mavrothal wrote: However, after getting it and compiling it still fails to run in Precise. Any hope there?
If you are referring to the same 'two different plugins' problem you need the original glib. Compile and install an appropriate version from http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/glib/

You can use pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0 to find correct version of glib to download.

mavrothal

Re: Desktop-drive-icons

#102 Post by mavrothal »

akash_rawal wrote: If you are referring to the same 'two different plugins' problem you need the original glib. Compile and install an appropriate version from http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/glib/
Actually installing BK's z_glib_fix-2.32.3-orig-precise540-i686.pet and you slacko pets in Precise-5.5, works just fine :D

The only problem I have is that Y offset "-40" appears to be hard coded somewhere and even if /root/.config/desktop_drive_icons/config.ini has a different value (other settings in config.ini are "respected"). It can be changed and will adjust the position of the drivers but on re-launch will be -40 again :?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

peebee

Difference 0.1.11 versus 0.1.12

#103 Post by peebee »

Hi

I am using p-v-m very succesfully with lxde/pcmanfm on top of slacko5.5 and other puppies....

However I have found a difference in behaviour between version 0.1.11 and the latest 0.1.12

The difference occurs when mounting a Samba network share with Yassm.

With 0.1.11 the share appears in the bookmark area of pcmanfm on mount - see screenie attached

With 0.1.12 the mount occurs and can be accessed from pcmanfm but no bookmark appears so the share cannot be unmounted from pcmanfm

Is this a deliberate change in behaviour? Hope not.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
capture14815.png
(39.46 KiB) Downloaded 788 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

akash_rawal

#104 Post by akash_rawal »

mavrothal wrote:The only problem I have is that Y offset "-40" appears to be hard coded somewhere and even if /root/.config/desktop_drive_icons/config.ini has a different value (other settings in config.ini are "respected"). It can be changed and will adjust the position of the drivers but on re-launch will be -40 again :?
desktop-drive-icons updated to version 0.0.5
Changes:
  • Fixed a typo in src/settings.c, affecting saving of X and Y offsets in config file.(Thanks mavrothal)
Last edited by akash_rawal on Sat 20 Apr 2013, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.

akash_rawal

Re: Difference 0.1.11 versus 0.1.12

#105 Post by akash_rawal »

peebee wrote:Hi

I am using p-v-m very succesfully with lxde/pcmanfm on top of slacko5.5 and other puppies....

However I have found a difference in behaviour between version 0.1.11 and the latest 0.1.12

The difference occurs when mounting a Samba network share with Yassm.

With 0.1.11 the share appears in the bookmark area of pcmanfm on mount - see screenie attached

With 0.1.12 the mount occurs and can be accessed from pcmanfm but no bookmark appears so the share cannot be unmounted from pcmanfm

Is this a deliberate change in behaviour? Hope not.

Cheers
peebee
Looks like I didn't know GLib's default mount monitor that pup-volume-monitor-0.1.12 overrides, shows samba shares also.

Just for confirmation, does the problem disappear when you start pcmanfm with environment variable PUP_VOLUME_MONITOR_NO_NATIVE=1, like:

Code: Select all

killall pcmanfm
export PUP_VOLUME_MONITOR_NO_NATIVE=1
pcmanfm -p LXDE --desktop &
disown
If it does I'll invert environment variable control in next version.

I had done that because I noticed that with Jemimah's patch mounted drives are shown twice in file manager.

peebee

#106 Post by peebee »

akash_rawal wrote:Looks like I didn't know GLib's default mount monitor that pup-volume-monitor-0.1.12 overrides, shows samba shares also.

Just for confirmation, does the problem disappear when you start pcmanfm with environment variable PUP_VOLUME_MONITOR_NO_NATIVE=1, like:

killall pcmanfm
disown
If it does I'll invert environment variable control in next version.

I had done that because I noticed that with Jemimah's patch mounted drives are shown twice in file manager.
Hi

I wondered if that might be the cause....I'd rather have 2 removable drives showing than no Samba share...

I'll try your "experiment" when I can - might be a couple of days....

Thanks for your help and for all your work on p-v-m

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

mavrothal

#107 Post by mavrothal »

akash_rawal wrote: desktop-drive-icons updated to version 0.1.5
I do not know about version 0.1.5, but version 0.0.5 works fine :)
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

akash_rawal

#108 Post by akash_rawal »

mavrothal wrote:
akash_rawal wrote: desktop-drive-icons updated to version 0.1.5
I do not know about version 0.1.5, but version 0.0.5 works fine :)
Looks as if its my mind that needs debugging. Haven't I made too many mistakes by now? :oops: :)

peebee

#109 Post by peebee »

peebee wrote:

killall pcmanfm
disown
I'll try your "experiment" when I can - might be a couple of days....

Thanks for your help and for all your work on p-v-m

Cheers
peebee
Hi

Retried p-v-m 0.1.12 but with startlxde patched to add

just before lxsession start.

Previous behaviour is re-established - all devices mounted at startup have just 1 bookmark, Samba share through Yassm also has a single bookmark and can be dismounted from within pcmanfm, any other devices mounted have 2 bookmarks with slightly different icons....

see 0.1.12 with patch screenie attached

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
capture28839.png
(48.03 KiB) Downloaded 1468 times

akash_rawal

#110 Post by akash_rawal »

pup-volume-monitor updated to version 0.1.13
Changes:
  • Inverted environment variable control over overriding native volume monitor. Now export PUP_VOLUME_MONITOR_BE_NATIVE=1 to override native volume monitor.
I wish there was some way of customizing the behavior of Glib's built-in mount monitor so that it wouldn't show only mounted volumes. But this doesn't seem to be possible without modifying GLib.

peebee

p-v-m in lxpup-by-sfs

#111 Post by peebee »

Just to report the interesting (I think) finding that it is possible to use the "Slacko" version of p-v-m from post #1 in both:

Precise Puppy 5.5 and

Upup Raring 3.8.4

by replacing just the /usr/lib/libgio-2.0.so.0 and libgio-2.0.so.0.3nnn.n files with those from Slacko 5.5

i.e. the glib patches only affect libgio-2.so and the patch can be applied by replacing just those files, not all of glib.

For a practical demonstration see: LxPup by SFS 5.5

For Upup Raring 3.8.4 which contains glib-2.36 then a patched version of libgio-2.0.so.0.3600.n really needs to be created but this is beyond my limited capabilities - in the meantime downgrading just the libgio part of glib-2.36 to the patched 2.32 version seems to work.

[edit] for Upup Raring 3.8.7 "pup-volume-monitor and suitable libgio are included" see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 603#700603 - practical demo: LxPup by SFS[/edit]

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Fri 07 Jun 2013, 19:19, edited 4 times in total.

mistfire

#112 Post by mistfire »

This is a great concept. I wonder if you make the layout dialog more KDE or more Windows like, also add a tab which is the counterpart of MY COMPUTER on windows with some volume management options, and add ftp or light samba management. if its roll into one file manager or integrate those in PCmanFM/SpaceFM/Thunar. File Management in Puppy Linux is really much easier and great for those windows refugees.

akash_rawal

#113 Post by akash_rawal »

mistfire wrote:This is a great concept. I wonder if you make the layout dialog more KDE or more Windows like, also add a tab which is the counterpart of MY COMPUTER on windows with some volume management options, and add ftp or light samba management. if its roll into one file manager or integrate those in PCmanFM/SpaceFM/Thunar. File Management in Puppy Linux is really much easier and great for those windows refugees.
This means implementing a VFS (virtual filesystem) which then means tremendous amount of code.

You can always install gvfs to provide that familiar 'My computer', ftp, and a working trash can. pup-volume-monitor and gvfs can coexist together, provided gvfs was compiled without hal/gdu volume monitor.

akash_rawal

#114 Post by akash_rawal »

pup-volume-monitor upgraded to version 0.1.14
Changes:
  • Added a g_poll() call on udev monitor's file descriptor, may fix excess CPU usage problem of pup-volume-monitor if it exists.
    (This is associated with udev_monitor_receive_device() not blocking. This was reported by Iguleder here, but I can't reproduce it.)

peebee

Impact of Raring Puppy "5.7alpha1"

#115 Post by peebee »

Barry's new Raring Puppy "5.7alpha1"
http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00294

has major changes to device infrastructure/support:
5. Linux kernel 3.9.5, Configured with devtmpfs,
6. Also under-the-hood, udev replaced by eudev.
7. Kmod replaced module-init-tools
Do these changes mean that p-v-m will have to change to be consistent or would a recompile under Raring Puppy "5.7alpha1" be sufficient?

Thanks
peebee

peebee

#116 Post by peebee »

Tried to compile pup-volume-monitor-0.1.14 on Raring Puppy and got the following error report even though Raring Puppy does contain libudev:

checking for UDEV... no
configure: error: Package requirements (libudev) were not met:

No package 'libudev' found

# cd /lib
# ls -l libudev*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 449348 Jun 13 07:54 libudev.a
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    933 Jun 13 07:54 libudev.la
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     16 Jun 13 08:00 libudev.so -> libudev.so.1.3.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     16 Jun 13 08:00 libudev.so.1 -> libudev.so.1.3.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 138873 Jun 13 07:54 libudev.so.1.3.0
Cheers
peebee

BarryK
Puppy Master

#117 Post by BarryK »

peebee,
eudev has the "next generation" libudev, version 1.x, whereas udev as used in Puppy has 0.x -- latter has libudev.so.0*

Note, this change happened when udev merged into systemd.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

akash_rawal

#118 Post by akash_rawal »

peebee wrote:Tried to compile pup-volume-monitor-0.1.14 on Raring Puppy and got the following error report even though Raring Puppy does contain libudev:

checking for UDEV... no
configure: error: Package requirements (libudev) were not met:

No package 'libudev' found

# cd /lib
# ls -l libudev*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 449348 Jun 13 07:54 libudev.a
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    933 Jun 13 07:54 libudev.la
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     16 Jun 13 08:00 libudev.so -> libudev.so.1.3.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     16 Jun 13 08:00 libudev.so.1 -> libudev.so.1.3.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 138873 Jun 13 07:54 libudev.so.1.3.0
Cheers
peebee
This is related to libudev.pc file.

To test this myself I installed eudev from git repository

I used command ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var for eudev.

Had to do very little to get pup-volume-monitor compile.
  • Move libudev.pc from /lib/pkgconfig to /usr/lib/pkgconfig
  • Replace the custom socket with udev netlink socket (This breaks pup-volume-monitor in lucid puppy 511)
Slacko 5.5 works nearly fine with eudev and pup-volume-monitor. Only my usb modem stopped working..

Overall I'm glad that gentoo developers made very few incompatible changes. So far only lucid puppy is affected with the porting but I think that can be fixed too.

pup-volume-monitor upgraded to 0.1.15
Changes:
  • Replaced custom socket with udev netlink socket

vicmz

#119 Post by vicmz »

Compiled pup-volume-monitor-0.1.15 on Precise Puppy 5.7.1, after following all the steps I tried running Geany, when I clicked the 'Save as...' menu Geany crashed and exited (same for other programs). Running PCManFM from terminal:

sh-4.1# pcmanfm

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientMonitor'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientDevice'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupVolumeMonitor'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-volume-monitor. Expected type is GVolumeMonitor.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientVolume'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupMount'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientDrive'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'GFamFileMonitor'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-local-file-monitor. Expected type is GLocalFileMonitor.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'GFamDirectoryMonitor'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-local-directory-monitor. Expected type is GLocalDirectoryMonitor.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyDrive'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyMount'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyShadowMount'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyVolume'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyVolumeMonitor'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyVolumeMonitorGPhoto2'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-volume-monitor. Expected type is GVolumeMonitor.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyVolumeMonitorUDisks2'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-native-volume-monitor. Expected type is GNativeVolumeMonitor.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
Segmentation fault
sh-4.1# 
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

pemasu

#120 Post by pemasu »