Eclipse IDE

Miscellaneous tools
TheAsterisk!

Eclipse IDE

#1 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Eclipse is a software development environment for a whole host of programming languages and platforms.

http://www.eclipse.org/

I've repackaged the SDK binary (it's also called "Eclipse Classic" on some of the official site's pages), the versions for C++ and C++ Linux developers, and the versions meant for Java and JavaEE developers as SFS4 packages. Versions 4.3.0 and 3.7.2 (for the C++ for Linux devs package) of Eclipse are available for download.

Please see the relevant page on my website for download links and further information.

Eclipse is written primarily in Java, so you'll need a package for the JRE to run it. You can get version 1.6 as an SFS or 1.7 as either an SFS or as a PET, from the following thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67371

If you plan to use Eclipse to work with Java, then you'll need the JDK. If you do that then there's no need for a separate JRE package. An sfs4 for JDK version 1.6 and another for 1.7 can be found in this thread.
Last edited by TheAsterisk! on Thu 10 Oct 2013, 01:16, edited 15 times in total.

TheAsterisk!

#2 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Updated from version 3.6.1-gtk to version 3.6.2-gtk.

TheAsterisk!

#3 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Updated from version 3.6.2 GTK to 3.7 (still GTK, but not in version name).

TheAsterisk!

#4 Post by TheAsterisk! »

UPDATED to version 3.7.1 for GTK-2

TheAsterisk!

#5 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Updated to version 3.7.2

darkcity

#6 Post by darkcity »

added to wiki 8)

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Eclipse

Have you made any software using this environment?

TheAsterisk!

#7 Post by TheAsterisk! »

darkcity wrote:added to wiki 8)

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Eclipse
Nice!
One issue, though.
Right now the wiki entry has the package listed as good for Puppy 4+, but it should be "430+", since it is packaged as an SFS4, and you need to use Puppy 430 or 431 with the 2.6.30.5 kernel or newer to use SFS4, versus SFS3. Alternatively, I could make an SFS3 version for older Puppies and kernels, if needed.

Could I edit that on the wiki myself, or is there an approval process for editors/users, etc.?
Have you made any software using this environment?
No. Basically, I started packaging Eclipse Classic (along with Netbeans, the JDK, DrJava, etc.) at the request of my brother and mother, who both took Java courses a while ago. I had setup the home computer with Puppy after somebody managed to completely destroy the old WinXP installation- and there were no restore discs for that tower. So I had to make sure the programs they needed for their coursework were installed and ready to go.

I just got into the habit of keeping them updated!

I think I mentioned something to that effect in my other thread for the Java JDK package I've also made (linked in the first post).
Last edited by TheAsterisk! on Mon 07 May 2012, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.

darkcity

#8 Post by darkcity »

updated!
Everyone is invited to help with the wiki
To get an account yourself to this please email
email Raffy - raffymn AT yahoo.com or PM raffy on the forum

Indicating your desired username. Thanks for your patience.
any help appreciated 8)

cannot

#9 Post by cannot »

hi!

should this eclipse classic version work for C/C++ projects (I need it to work with openCV library) or should I install the eclipse IDE for C++ dev?

(I'm new to eclipse and puppy...)

thanks,
pr

TheAsterisk!

#10 Post by TheAsterisk! »

cannot wrote:hi!

should this eclipse classic version work for C/C++ projects (I need it to work with openCV library) or should I install the eclipse IDE for C++ dev?

(I'm new to eclipse and puppy...)

thanks,
pr
My (spotty) memory, backed up by a quick Google search and some reading, implies you'll need the version for C++ development instead of the SDK, but I can package that up, too, if you'd like. Just let me know if you'd like the more generic "Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers" [link] or specifically the "Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Linux Developers" [link]. Both run on Linux, but I understand that the latter is tweaked for developing Linux code specifically.

Send me a personal message or just post here again to let me know!

TheAsterisk!

#11 Post by TheAsterisk! »

I've tweaked the package just a bit, but you may or may not need to switch to the newer version.

Instead of launching with the command "/usr/bin/eclipse" as before, the program now launches with the command "/usr/bin/eclipse_sdk" instead. (It's just a symlink renamed, nothing else changed.) Thanks to a previous post inquiring about Eclipse for C++ developers, I realized that if one were to install multiple versions of Eclipse, then the launch commands must be distinct.

By the way, if anyone wants Eclipse for C/C++ or for C/C++ Linux development, you can get them from my site, along with Eclipse SDK as addressed in this thread. [LINK] If anyone expresses interest in either of those packages, or if "cannot" from above contacts me/posts here again, I'll roll them into this thread, too.

TheAsterisk!

#12 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Updated to Eclipse platform version 4.2.0

Links directly to packages from this thread have been removed to make maintaining current information easier, what with four versions of the Eclipse IDE platform now being packaged up and made available for Puppy. A page on my website has been linked instead, and that contains the download links and some other relevant information.

TheAsterisk!

#13 Post by TheAsterisk! »

UPDATED to Eclipse platform version 4.2.1

mister_electronico

Hi I am just starting..

#14 Post by mister_electronico »

Hi TheAsterisk! I just starting in Java and I'll try you packets, you say don't use eclipse, maybe there are recommend other better.

Anyway I'll try eclipse in slacko puppy 5.4.

So I am understand I need 3 packet:

jdk-1.7u13-i586.sfs.zip
jre-1.7u13-i586.sfs.zip
eclipse_java-4.2.1_x86.sfs.zip

Thanks TheAsterisk!

mister_electronico

My first bug.

#15 Post by mister_electronico »

I just installing eclipse, and just when I start to write the first line of code for example.

System. just in this moment the program close an give me the bug.

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x82525bc5, pid=1914, tid=3076462272
#
# JRE version: 7.0_13-b20
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (23.7-b01 mixed mode linux-x86 )
# Problematic frame:
# C [UTF-16.so+0xbc5] gconv+0x3b5
#
# Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again.

If I have a copy and paste of code, I haven't any problem, is just when I write the code.

Any Idea... thanks.

Moose On The Loose

Re: My first bug.

#16 Post by Moose On The Loose »

mister_electronico wrote:I just installing eclipse, and just when I start to write the first line of code for example.

System. just in this moment the program close an give me the bug.

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x82525bc5, pid=1914, tid=3076462272
#
# JRE version: 7.0_13-b20
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (23.7-b01 mixed mode linux-x86 )
# Problematic frame:
# C [UTF-16.so+0xbc5] gconv+0x3b5
#
# Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again.

If I have a copy and paste of code, I haven't any problem, is just when I write the code.

Any Idea... thanks.

Did you use "swing" or any multiple thread stuff?

Unfortunately Java for anything more than the simplest stuff is a "write once run nowhere" language. "swing" and attempts to use multiple threads, require that the JRE you are running fully implements threads and that both it and your own code is thread safe. In many cases, swing is not compatible with different JREs and depending on the OS, the JRE its self may not really do multiple tread stuff right. Before doing anything else, I'd check the JRE version for troubles being reported.

jpeps

Re: My first bug.

#17 Post by jpeps »

Moose On The Loose wrote:
Did you use "swing" or any multiple thread stuff?

Unfortunately Java for anything more than the simplest stuff is a "write once run nowhere" language.
If you are serious about writing java, it would be wise to chose an OS that is robust enough to handle it. I've never had a problem with eclipse on XP or a version specifically adapted to my Nexus. The compiled programs have all worked on everything.

dbd400@gmail.com

Eclipse IDE

#18 Post by dbd400@gmail.com »

Is there any plan or intent to package up eclipse Juno 64-bit for slacko 5.5? Or 64-bit in general? That is what I wish to use currently. Earlier I had been using the Galileo version under Windows, but I am now trying to transition to Linux (and Puppy)

At some future time after I know more about Puppy and Slacko, I might be able to volunteer to help with such repackaging. Is the main impact in graphics? I ask this because of the repeated repackaging for various versions of GTK, as evidenced by the comments. What other areas need detailed attention to operate under slacko5.5? IO?

Thank You.

TheAsterisk!

#19 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Updated!

Version 4.3.0 is up, with both x86 and amd64 versions. (The C++ for Linux devs package remains at version 3.7.2.)

Antipodal

Eclipse IDE

#20 Post by Antipodal »

I' m considering the possibility of studying this thread and of downloading Eclipse to see how it works in my system.

If somebody thinks this thread is outdated, please let me know.

Thank you for reading this and for having posted here previously.
Last edited by Antipodal on Fri 18 Sep 2015, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
Posting from a P4 3Ghz_ASUS P5G41T-M LX3_2G RAM_DVD Write desktop with no internal HDD
Saving my stuff on flash sticks and in external USB HDD