Where do the files from an SFS go?

Booting, installing, newbie
PaulR

Where do the files from an SFS go?

#1 Post by PaulR »

I've made a SFS (as per the wiki instructions) which works properly when loaded with 'load on the fly' but some of the files appear in '/'

When I made the sfs the source directory was in the my-documents folder.

I guess that either the source directory needs to be in the place where I want it to appear when mounted or I need to specify this when making the sfs?

Is there a recommended location for programs 'installed' in this way (maybe usr/bin?)

TIA

Paul

R-S-H

#2 Post by R-S-H »

Hi.

Can't you do a right-click on a directory and choose "Create SFS" or "Make SFS"?

What puppy are you using?

Didn't you try don570's right-click-tools or the PaDS Application wich makes a single SFS file from a directory containing PET and/or DEB files?

To make SFS files is really easy by all the tools one can find on the forum ---> search the Utilities Section!

Edit:

If you want to have the your files in /root/my-documents the directory to create the sfs from has to include /root/my-documents/YourFilesHere.
Best and recommended place to load the sfs from is either boot partition or boot directory.

When using such sfs tools...
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy Home
The new LazY Puppy Information Centre[/url][/b]

PaulR

#3 Post by PaulR »

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I made the question clear enough (or I must be having a particularly dense day today!)

Making the sfs, shifting it to hard disk then loading it on the fly is no problem and everything works as expected, it's just that regardless of where I create the sfs from or the path I give it, it always seems to get mapped to the root directory.

For example, if I have a directory structure like this

~/my-documents/program/
~/my-documents/program/images/

and /program contains readme.txt

If I execute this from within ~/my-documents:

mksquashfs ./program /usr/bin/program.sfs

...when I use 'load on the fly', readme.txt ans /images appear in the root directory, whereas I wanted them to appear in /usr/bin.

I've tried creating the sfs from /usr/bin with the program directory already in situ there but that doesn't work either.

So to recap, I just can't get the contents of the sfs to appear in the right place when loaded.

Thanks again

Paul
PS Slacko 5.5 from CD if that's relevant :D

CatDude

#4 Post by CatDude »

Hello Paul
PaulR wrote:...when I use 'load on the fly', readme.txt ans /images appear in the root directory, whereas I wanted them to appear in /usr/bin.
I have no idea why you want to put a directory of images in /usr/bin (or the readme.txt file),
but if that's what you want, then try doing it lke this:

Create the appropriate directory structure INSIDE of your program directory,
like thus:
  • ~/my-documents/program/
    ~/my-documents/program/usr/
    ~/my-documents/program/usr/bin/
    ~/my-documents/program/usr/bin/readme.txt
    ~/my-documents/program/usr/bin/images/
Then from within ~/my-documents,
do:

Code: Select all

mksquashfs program program.sfs
NOTE:
The program directory is just a container,
therefore when you view the contents of your new sfs file you will only see this:

└── usr
└── bin
├── images
└── readme.txt

3 directories, 1 file

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

PaulR

#5 Post by PaulR »

Thanks catdude... I'm definitely having one of those days but I understand the essence of your post.

The files/folders I'm trying to pack up into the sfs belong to a program (hence the images directory & readme). I thought getting programs to appear in /usr/bin would be a sensible place in the same way that stuff in the dev_x sfs appears when that's loaded. Am I right in thinking that the structure inside a sfs is just grafted on to the normal directory structure when it's loaded?

Paul

R-S-H

#6 Post by R-S-H »

Hi, PaulR.

I did understand you clearly at first time. You can avoid doing all described things manually when using dir2sfs (right-click tool by don570) or using PaDS (if the files are PETs to convert to sfs, created by myself).

Just create a directory like CatDude has described (doesn't matter where it is created) put your files in and make a right-click onto this directory. There is no need to create an sfs file by entering several commands like cd and mksquashfs into a terminal (and maybe doing it twice because of typos)!

Just a suggestion...
Am I right in thinking that the structure inside a sfs is just grafted on to the normal directory structure when it's loaded?
If one wants to have a specific file in /usr/bin one has to put such file into /usr/bin inside the directory the sfs is intended to be created from - that's all. What's the difficulties to understand?
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy Home
The new LazY Puppy Information Centre[/url][/b]

PaulR

#7 Post by PaulR »

Thanks for the reply, it's all working as required now :D
R-S-H wrote: If one wants to have a specific file in /usr/bin one has to put such file into /usr/bin inside the directory the sfs is intended to be created from - that's all. What's the difficulties to understand?
It's easy to understand, I just didn't come across that information anywhere... maybe someone could add it to the wiki?

Paul