alphaOS [closed]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gnomic

X not working again

#301 Post by gnomic »

Hi, just tried AlphaOS on another laptop, this time with GeForce Go 6150 - alas same result more or less as with radeon cards - X Window totally messed up and unusable and no escape outside power cycle. Perhaps a wee look into this? Laptop is a CPQ V6000Turion model, but I guess the video card is the crucial factor. Would still like to use AlphaOS but it seems very hard. I think my only success has been with intel video so far. Maybe at least a boot option for vesa?

simargl

Re: X not working again

#302 Post by simargl »

Boot option pfix=ram is now fixed, for working in console mode.

Code: Select all

-[ "$PNOX" = "yes" ] && touch /pup_new/tmp/bootcnt.txt
+[ "$PNOX" = "yes" ] && sed -i 's|X_AUTOLOGIN="yes"|X_AUTOLOGIN="no"|g' /pup_new/etc/rc.conf
Maybe at least a boot option for vesa?
I don't know how to force vesa when xorg.conf is almost empty, and udev should be loading correct driver and setting resolution automatically.
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
Option "AutoEnableDevices" "true"
EndSection
xorg.conf must have these lines or keyboard and mouse will not work, so not allow nvidia-xconfig or other programs to overwrite that file.

simargl

#303 Post by simargl »

Released version 5.0

ChangeLog

- upgraded packages:
xorg-server (1.14.0)
mesa (9.1.1)
libdrm (2.4.43)
xf86-video-intel (2.21.6)
xf86-input-synaptics (1.7.0)
xf86-input-mouse (1.9.0)
xf86-input-keyboard (1.7.0)
gparted (0.15.0)
python (2.7.4)
alsa-utils (1.0.27)
alsa-lib (1.0.27)
curl (7.30.0)

- Added: gsimplecal, lightweight calendar application used with tint2 panel

- ffmpeg supports wider range of multimedia formats

- spacefm patched to extract spkg package on click (like other archives)

- tint2 (crunchbang theme) shows battery info

- Ctrl-Alt-Backspace key combination restarts xorg-server

- fixed problems with /mnt/home if paka script is used in PUPMODE 5

- musl is removed from development module, but is available in repository

- fixed boot parameter pfix=nox

- Package manager:
new column "Version" in list of available packages
improved search entry
added buttons for visiting home page and cleaning packages cache
new package icon
improved arch2def and added arch2def_local function

Scooby

#304 Post by Scooby »

Tried version 5, looks good.

Same problem with terminal though, still i havent found a solution.

Marv

#305 Post by Marv »

Intel man here. Up in 5.0 and posting from the fujitsu 1.6GHz pentium M laptop. Intel pro 2200 wireless, intel 855GMA video, ALPS touchpad, Grub4Dos frugal install to IDE CF card. Run both as a fresh install and as an upgrade of my 4.0 save file. CPU at idle is 2% at the lowest conservative governor speed. Pretty good for this old gal. Don't anticipate any problems with the core 2 duo fujitsu other than keeping the touchpad configs straight.

Only glitches self imposed. If you change themes, have the theme in the save file, don't leave it behind in the older SFS!!! and don't try to be too cute with the 50-Synaptics.conf substitution in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d. After blowing a LOT of time on seemingly logical changes gave up nicety and just threw the xorg.conf from lina at it. Works. synclient and flsynclient both work.

Glad to see the additional capabilities in spacefm. More tidy than plugins and works well. I still use the standalone plugins to mount ext and iso filesystems without udevil or udisks, extract and make SFSs, and to make and extract gzip files . 2 panels vertically with side panel in each works for me and I'm not at all sorry to be gvfs free.
tint2 (crunchbang theme) shows battery info
The default theme also will, just copy the battery section from the crunchbang config file to the default config file, just before the clock section and add B to the panel items line.

Simple radio is a startlingly fast connection to stream. Give the dial a twirl.

A confession. I brought pacman along from 4.0. I know, I know...

Edited for spelling and signature:
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

ethan42411

#306 Post by ethan42411 »

simargl wrote: I'm not sure what you mean, is there some problem with displaying characters in your language. For that I think you need to find proper fonts.
Sorry,my English is so terrible...
I mean I found chinese display wrong is caused by not mount by UTF-8. When I use USB flash drive it will have wrong displaying characters , but if it mount by UTF-8 , it will be correct.
So, I need to setting system can automount driver by UTF-8.

Thank you.

mike delaw

Re: help

#307 Post by mike delaw »

Arefacti wrote: Hello,
seems to me great !
but, unfortunately I don't know how I could install it (gmediafinder seems better).
could you help me please ?
Neither do I. Maybe some resident expert is willing to help you ...

Familyman

Hooray! Eee PC 2G Surf streams video effortlessly in AlphaOS

#308 Post by Familyman »

I have been looking for a distro that would work from a live USB with the original netbook so that I could watch movies online on my HDTV.

With Firefox ESR I am finally able to do this (my Portable Firefox 20.0.1 on the Windows XP tiny version installed on my Eee PC 2G Surf struggles to cope with YouTube) after hoping that the latest browser versions would be able to accomplish this. :D

I have not been able to achieve a listing of the version of apps installed by running the command: spkg -ver

Is there a particular directory from which I should run terminal to achieve this?

And how does one access the Arch repository on AlphaOS 5?

~Familyman~

meowcats

Re: Hooray! Eee PC 2G Surf streams video effortlessly in AlphaOS

#309 Post by meowcats »

Familyman wrote:And how does one access the Arch repository on AlphaOS 5?
from what I have come to understand, you cannot 'access' the arch repo's. You can download individual pkgbuilds and use the spkg script to build them, but this has no dependency tracking.

It seems the easiest way would be to simply build pacman for your self?

it is sad, because this distro is great, but hardly any useful packages.

simargl

Re: Hooray! Eee PC 2G Surf streams video effortlessly in AlphaOS

#310 Post by simargl »

Bugfix version 5.0.0421

My patch for extracting spkg packages broke "compress archive" functionality in spacefm (something else was needed to change, but I didn't test properly before release) So, I removed that patch and added plugins for extracting spkg package and sfs module in this bugfix release (alphaOS_5.0-20130421.iso).

https://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos/files/
Familyman wrote:I have not been able to achieve a listing of the version of apps installed by running the command: spkg -ver

Is there a particular directory from which I should run terminal to achieve this?

And how does one access the Arch repository on AlphaOS 5?
You can run spkg -v command from directory /var/lib/spkg/installed or any other with same structure - folder/def (folder must be named as variable 'name' in def)

For using pacman directly see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=85346

simargl

#311 Post by simargl »

EasyTAG is a utility for viewing and editing tags for MP3, MP2, MP4/AAC, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, MusePack, Monkey's Audio and WavPack files. Its simple and nice GTK+ interface makes tagging easier under Linux or Windows.

The program depends on GTK+ 2.24, but there is an experimental GTK+ 3.0 interface.

That experimental gtk3 version (from git) is added to the repository ;-)

First post updated with: What is different compared to standard Puppy?

Familyman

#312 Post by Familyman »

Dear meowcats and simargl,

Thanks for the quick responses pointing me in the direction!

I have good news to report that I have successfully used the paka command and also been able to regain 100% volume setting for speaker in my alsa upon reboot.

Obviously persistence has paid off!

While I liked reading about the differences, here is my take on what is similar with this OS as compared to my beloved PuppyLinux 4.31:

- the small footprint
- the ability to convert and add packages (in Puppy one could convert .pet to .sfs)
- the continued friendly community support on the Murga Linux Puppy forum

I believe this distro has now come out of the alpha to qualify as a 'beta' and with the incorporation of additional useful native spkg packages (vlc, Skype, Pidgin) it should become another dependable companion for our PCs.

~Familyman~

ndrancs

out of topic

#313 Post by ndrancs »

Familyman wrote: I believe this distro has now come out of the alpha to qualify as a 'beta' and with the incorporation of additional useful native spkg packages (vlc, Skype, Pidgin) it should become another dependable companion for our PCs.

~Familyman~
I think this distro alphaos simrgl named because of the OS is fast, light, like lightning.
not because it is still alpha stage.
cmiiw. :)

simargl

#314 Post by simargl »

Openshot 1.4.3 added to the repository (install it with package manager or type: makesfs openshot)

OpenShot Video Editor is a free, open-source video editor for Linux licensed under the GPL version 3.0.

OpenShot can take your videos, photos, and music files and help you create the film you have always dreamed of. Easily add sub-titles, transitions, and effects, and then export your film to DVD, YouTube, Vimeo, Xbox 360, and many other common formats.

Edit:
I planned to add vlc and gmediafinder but will not do that: no need for vlc when there is smplayer and gmediafinder has dependency on pywebkit and that obviously needs libwebkit which is PITA to compile
Last edited by simargl on Mon 22 Apr 2013, 06:56, edited 1 time in total.

simargl

Re: out of topic

#315 Post by simargl »

ndrancs wrote:
Familyman wrote: I believe this distro has now come out of the alpha to qualify as a 'beta' and with the incorporation of additional useful native spkg packages (vlc, Skype, Pidgin) it should become another dependable companion for our PCs.

~Familyman~
I think this distro alphaos simrgl named because of the OS is fast, light, like lightning.
not because it is still alpha stage.
cmiiw. :)
Yes plan was to name it lightningOS, but distro with that name already exists http://lightningos.weebly.com/
here alpha is for the first letter of the Greek alphabet - symbolize beginning, back to basics, as it is first Puppy like system
with new package manager. Also it's good way to scare noobs who will think "name says it all, I'll stay with my ubuntu",
everyone should understand that goal is quality over popularity.

smil99

#316 Post by smil99 »

Hi simargl
I have already started using AlphaOS 5 (aka alphaOS kernel-3.8.2 non-pae) and it looks solid.
Openshot 1.4.3 added to the repository ...
Hooray! I'm very happy to see it finally :D. Will install and report back.
Just one issue .... how do I add shortcuts to desktop in openbox?
Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

simargl

#317 Post by simargl »

smil99 wrote:
Openshot 1.4.3 added to the repository ...
Hooray! I'm very happy to see it finally :D. Will install and report back.
Just one issue .... how do I add shortcuts to desktop in openbox?
Cheers.
You can change imlibsetroot & line in /root/.start to spacefm --desktop &, so spacefm will manage desktop and allow adding launchers and files if you need them. Copy deskop files from /usr/share/applications to /root/Desktop to have application shortcuts.

ndrancs

hwclock issue

#318 Post by ndrancs »

hi all,
i try to set the system time.
The following are some steps that I have done:
- Add a few lines of words in /etc/init.d/hwclock

#!/bin/sh
. /etc/rc.conf

case $HARDWARECLOCK in
	UTC) HWCLOCK_PARAMS="--utc";;
	localtime) HWCLOCK_PARAMS="--localtime";;
	*) HWCLOCK_PARAMS="";;
esac

case "$1" in
	start)
		hwclock --hctosys $HWCLOCK_PARAMS;;
	stop)
		hwclock --systohc $HWCLOCK_PARAMS;;
	*)
	echo "Usage: hwclock {start|stop}"
	exit 1
esac

- Added hwclock on daemons in rc.conf:

#!/bin/sh

# USER SELECTED VARIABLES
X_AUTOLOGIN="no"
AUTOMOUNT_VOLUMES="no"
SAVEFILE_DIALOG_FORCE="no"
HARDWARECLOCK="localtime"
DAEMONS="metalog network messagebus alsa cups Pwireless2 sfs_load hwclock"
MODULES=""

# NETWORK
interface=eth0
address=
netmask=
gateway=

# LOCALIZATION
LOCALE="C"

so my question is why hwclock does not seem to run at boot?
when running the command date and hwclock-r,, looks dated and timed so different.

but if the /etc/init.d/hwclock run manually the date was as expected.

/etc/init.d/hwclock start
here my localtime

[root@alphaos ~]# file /etc/localtime 
/etc/localtime: symbolic link to `/usr/share/zoneinfo/Asia/Jakarta' 
[root@alphaos ~]#
Thanks in advance.

Atle

#319 Post by Atle »

Very clean and nice...

Congratulations... Its great OS:-)

One question.. Super+ t to start terminal... what is super?

simargl

#320 Post by simargl »

ndrancs, with what you did hwclock does run on boot but at that stage hardware clock and system time are the same, so there is nothing to set and rdate from /root/.start change it later. I set HARDWARECLOCK to localtime, otherwise time in Windows is all wrong. Time in alphaos on boot might be wrong, that is why there is rdate in /root/.start.
Atle wrote:Very clean and nice...

Congratulations... Its great OS:-)

One question.. Super+ t to start terminal... what is super?
Thanks! Key is win+t, or Super+ t in Linux.

Cheers!