Fatdog64-620 Final (17 April 2013) and 621 (9 May 2013)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
JustGreg

#41 Post by JustGreg »

Ted Dog, I used the SFS Manager applet to down load the 32 bit SFS. I used the ibiblio site here in the USA. I will warn you it is slow. It does take some time, but, I have always gotten what I needed. The data rate is about 70 K.

I hope this helps.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

prehistoric

#42 Post by prehistoric »

Posting now from a test machine with embedded nVidia graphics. (Asus M2N68-VM) Came up automatically w/o any problem -- except that it chose a resolution my SGI monitor can handle, but my eyes cannot. I was able to adjust this by getting up real close.

Question: do we really want to default to vertical resolutions beyond 1080 lines? No argument about supporting 4K resolutions, just wondering if you will always be able to see them to adjust.

Added: Just learned that another person following Fatdog development wants Gimp 2.8, (note: I'm happy with a stable 2.6). Not asking you to do this, just wondering how hard it is to put together Gimp 2.8 plus the associated help files for someone who has a quad core processor with plenty of RAM.

kirk

#43 Post by kirk »

Question: do we really want to default to vertical resolutions beyond 1080 lines? No argument about supporting 4K resolutions, just wondering if you will always be able to see them to adjust.
That's handled by Xorg, though we do set the font size at 78dpi. You can change that in the Control Panel - Desktop - Set global font size. Then you have to restart X. Of course that won't change the size of the icons. You could also edit $HOME/.Xresources and delete the line "Xft.dpi: 78", then Xorg will set the font size for you based on information from your monitor. We decided to go with 78dpi, because Xorg set the font too big for our taste, but with very high res monitors becoming more common we might need to revisit that.

Ted Dog

#44 Post by Ted Dog »

JustGreg wrote:Ted Dog, I used the SFS Manager applet to down load the 32 bit SFS. I used the ibiblio site here in the USA. I will warn you it is slow. It does take some time, but, I have always gotten what I needed. The data rate is about 70 K.

I hope this helps.
It does, did not know there was a SFS Manager .... I still learning the differences between this spin and regular puppylinux.

As a question does multisession DVDs HAVE to be RW with Fatdog64. The main purpose I use multisession is so I CAN'T accidentally delete stuff. Case in point I've spent multiple hours/Months scanning in material from a governmental agency that I can't physically take from the site. The files are very large and I need to keep raw and resized scans from destruction.

forced into using RW ONLY is a step back.

Or did I break code by using a bluray RW disc as an oversized DVD RW.

Normal code in puppylinux and the stuff I code for is compatible across all types of DVD and Bluray, -R +R, or RW.

I got no results when I hit the save-multisession and the disc is locked into drive, which defeats being able to use the drive for other purposes.

I did notice a quick msg as the computer was rebooting that the save failed and the directory list with the msg did not look like a typical save-file string that I see with puppylinux.

Why is multisession so different?

Ted Dog

#45 Post by Ted Dog »

error captured running dvd savesession while live.There is a mount locked problem.

Code: Select all

find: `/aufs/pup_save/archive': No such file or directory
umount: /aufs/devbase: device is busy.
        (In some cases useful info about processes that use
         the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1))
Setting input-charset to 'ISO-8859-1' from locale.
ISO-9660 image includes checksum signature for correct inode numbers.
SUSP signatures version 1 found
Rock Ridge signatures version 1 found
Rock Ridge id 'RRIP_1991A'
Using MULTI_FD64SAVE_2013_04_2000.SFS;1 for  /multi-fd64save-2013-04-21T04-41+0000-save.sfs (multi-fd64save-2013-04-21T04-41+0000-base.sfs)
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 41795
Total directory bytes: 71680
Path table size(bytes): 172
Max brk space used 45000
311 extents written (0 MB)
:-( /dev/sr0: unable to proceed with recording: unable to unmount

Sage

#46 Post by Sage »

Fantastic bit of kit. Everything booted and installed FULL without mods, even on an nV board with nV onboard video.
Just for future reference: load of left over irrelevant garbage intercedes after FULL install at boot time. Might be worth tidying, otherwise ignoring it is acceptable.

jamesbond

#47 Post by jamesbond »

Ted Dog wrote:As a question does multisession DVDs HAVE to be RW with Fatdog64.
I only have DVD+RWs so that's what I have tested it. It uses "growisofs" so in theory it should work anything that works with growisofs too. I have reports of success with DVD+R, but I haven't tested that personally myself.
The main purpose I use multisession is so I CAN'T accidentally delete stuff. Case in point I've spent multiple hours/Months scanning in material from a governmental agency that I can't physically take from the site. The files are very large and I need to keep raw and resized scans from destruction.
Noted. In theory you can drop stuff to "/archive" folder and save the session, then it will be saved there and not reloaded into RAM (just like puppy). If +R media doesn't work for you, my alternative suggestion (I admit it isn't ideal) is to take out the fatdog DVD, put in +R media, and use pburn to burn the data you have downloaded as a backup copy.
Or did I break code by using a bluray RW disc as an oversized DVD RW.

Normal code in puppylinux and the stuff I code for is compatible across all types of DVD and Bluray, -R +R, or RW.
I wouldn't know, I don't own a bluray to test with. If you like to look further, the code that does the saving is in /usr/sbin/fatdog-save-multisession.sh. It is only 128 lines including the comments. As I said, it is basically calling growisofs to do its job.
I got no results when I hit the save-multisession and the disc is locked into drive, which defeats being able to use the drive for other purposes.
This is odd indeed. When one runs with multisession, the disc shouldn't be locked at all. You should be able to take the disc out. Unless --- are you using small-initrd? If you are, then you need to append boot parameter "base2ram=yes". This copies the base sfs (fd64_620.sfs) to RAM and relinquishes lock on the drive/disc. On standard huge initrd this isn't necessary as it is loaded to RAM automatically.
Why is multisession so different?
The code has been re-written from scratch.

Btw - I tried to get the 32bit sfs from nluug.nl, that works for me?

Code: Select all

# wget -c ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributions/fatdog/sfs/600/32bit-slacko-1.sfs 
--2013-04-21 20:42:22--  ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributions/fatdog/sfs/600/32bit-slacko-1.sfs
           => `32bit-slacko-1.sfs'
Resolving ftp.nluug.nl (ftp.nluug.nl)... 192.87.102.42, 192.87.102.43, 2001:610:1:80aa:192:87:102:42, ...
Connecting to ftp.nluug.nl (ftp.nluug.nl)|192.87.102.42|:21... connected.
Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
==> SYST ... done.    ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done.  ==> CWD (1) /pub/metalab/distributions/fatdog/sfs/600 ... done.
==> SIZE 32bit-slacko-1.sfs ... 31264768
==> PASV ... done.    ==> RETR 32bit-slacko-1.sfs ... done.
Length: 31264768 (30M) (unauthoritative)

0% [                                       ] 83,488      39.0K/s
Perhaps there was a network problem (ISP or country level) at the time you tried to download?

Sage,
Thanks for the report. I'm glad it works :)

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jamesbond

#48 Post by jamesbond »

kirk wrote:
That's handled by Xorg, though we do set the font size at 78dpi. You can change that in the Control Panel - Desktop - Set global font size. Then you have to restart X. Of course that won't change the size of the icons. You could also edit $HOME/.Xresources and delete the line "Xft.dpi: 78", then Xorg will set the font size for you based on information from your monitor. We decided to go with 78dpi, because Xorg set the font too big for our taste, but with very high res monitors becoming more common we might need to revisit that.
To add, you can always run xorgwizard to change the resolution set by Xorg. You can it either you're inside X desktop or when you're outside (ie at console), if you run it from outside then you've got the chance to test the resolution. Or, run it at boot by specifying pfix=xorgwizard.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Ted Dog

#49 Post by Ted Dog »

Growisofs and re-due from scratch on the multisession saves.

Nice recoding of this so much easier to follow. But two suggestions that we learned the hard way was to drop -J (Microsofts special bug filled add-on to iso9600) and add -D for deep directory support. Also do not get too attached to growisofs, I could not find a work-around for its limitations with UDF, but cdrecord can do the same task as growisofs, but we would need to add a bunch of math to tell cdrecord where to append on the disc. UDF works the same on DVD & Bluray and the driver has a iso9600 support in its code history.

I'm sure I added the base2ram setting, but I will double check. For me I can get around these issues easily by just using the simple scripts I already use for testing.
Fatdog64 method of compartmentalizing the environment makes it easier for me to test newer multisession code. So do not spend any of your time, If this works for you, NOW. But I do hope you would consider, changes to multisession that would combine more of the old style puppylinux with the two methods you used. Those two changes where on my high priority list for the practical reasons of addressing the old style puppylinux multisession negatives. But not as a replacement.

spandey

#50 Post by spandey »

My modem is in bridge mode and I need to PPPoe with user id and password. I use Roarng Penguin for the same in Lucid. I am unable to do the same in Fatdog. How do I go about it?

rcrsn51

#51 Post by rcrsn51 »

Control Panel > Network has Roaring Penguin. Does it not work for you?

Please provide details.

Gobbi

#52 Post by Gobbi »

FD 620 boots all right on my desktop with Mesa and analog audio . No UEFI in my case .Since a few days ago I have upgraded the GPU to a Radeon HD 7870 XT I feared some problems with Catalyst and I was right . I gave a try to every pet in the repo , including the one that required the 32bit slacko sfs. No luck ... Xorg doesn't start and if I go into xorgwizard all I can do is reboot or poweroff .
The strange thing is that on my last custom FD 610 with Catalyst installed at the time , Catalyst works and an older driver is doing the job well and I also have audio over HDMI , though now there are several HDMI devices shown in ALSA Mixer . On my old 5770 there was just one.... A small watermark from AMD which announce that I use an "" Unsupported hardware '' is always present on the down-right side of the screen , just above the clock of lxpanel , but I couldn't capture it with the 'screenshot screen capture' nor 'Screencaster'.
I guess it's not the new driver's fault , maybe the kernel doesn't go along with my hardware ...

kirk

#53 Post by kirk »

It looks like that card is supported by this pet:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/pets/6 ... -3.8.7.pet

So you can try that one with a new savefile. But, that's one I don't the hardware to test. You might need the 13.3 beta driver AMD has out right now. If anyone has tested the ati-catalyst-13.1-3.8.7.pet let us know.

Atle

#54 Post by Atle »

Congratulation with a great release. Its the fastest booting Puppy i ever seen, apart from TurboPuppy. Clean and nice, and rich in the packet manager as well as a good choice of programs that comes with the installation.

Also Fatdog64 is addressing some issues in puppy

It lives up to its name... its a fat dog in many ways.

But its also a damn FAST dog, even being such a fat one.

Honestly I felt as I had updated to SSD HD when I saw the boot time.

Charming OS and thumbs up for the developers:-)

pedro

#55 Post by pedro »

kirk wrote:It looks like that card is supported by this pet:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/pets/6 ... -3.8.7.pet

So you can try that one with a new savefile. But, that's one I don't the hardware to test. You might need the 13.3 beta driver AMD has out right now. If anyone has tested the ati-catalyst-13.1-3.8.7.pet let us know.
I have tested it, It works just fine with a amd trinity cpu, 3d working without problems.
However with this cpu x does not start using the radeon driver

JustGreg

#56 Post by JustGreg »

I am a editor for a shortwave listeners email newsletter. I have used Thunderbird for a good number of years now and it is a critical application for me due to the address book.

Normal in the past, when I change versions of Puppy Linux, I would install the correct pet for the version and then copy the .Thunderbird directory to the new system. Thunderbird on the new version would recognize the profile and I was good to go. This was a very easy process.

I tried the same with the 64 bit Fatdog Thunderbird pet and it did not recognize my profile. I thought I would be smart with the 32 bit Slacko sfs system. I installed a 32 bit Slacko Thunderbird and it worked fine with the previous .Thunderbird directory. Everything I need was there. The problem is dialog boxes for saving or attaching files is not displaying properly. The text font is nothing but boxes. I have done something wrong. Any suggestions on how to correct the font or a better way to use the 64 bit Thunderbird client with the old profile and mailbox contents? Thanks in advance for any help on this one.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

WillM

#57 Post by WillM »

Here is a pet for PySolFC. It has over one thousand solitaire games.
The dependencies are; Python, Tcl, and Tk, which are in the Fatdog64 repository.

Download;
http://ubuntuone.com/5P9G4xzjzka85FuFD09xEj

md5sum;
04393f92df3df046c22ce29f118f28ad PySolFC-2.0.pet

Size;
3.9M

I would like to thank jamesbond and kirk for a top notch operating system.
I've been using the save directory option, on first boot shutdown. Now there are no worries about filling up the save file. Also the save directory is easy to access, in case of mistakes. :)

kirk

#58 Post by kirk »

JustGreg,

I don't use Thunderbird, so I can't offer any advise, but I know the pet in the repo is pretty old. So I'll update it this week.

Pedro, Gobbi,

I'll try to do a Catalyst 13.3 beta3 pet too.

gcmartin

System is NOT maintaining LAN sharing needs over reboot.

#59 Post by gcmartin »

Running Live media FATDOG from multi-session DVD.
  1. Used PPM to get the SAMBA extension to set password, test configuration, etc.
  2. Saved the shipped configuration to smb.bak and created a new smb.conf.
  3. Via Control Panel, I enabled the SAMBA server also setting for start at boot.
  4. Tested the system for ability to share and shutdown to save all session changes to the Live media.
  5. On reboot, I can see the system start and gather the save-session files from the Live media.
  6. On Reboot at desktop, /etc/samba folder has been reset to pristine (meaning none of the prior session changes exist)
  7. and Control Panel shows that none of the SAMBA server selection are present (thus, no server enabled or running at system start).
Not sure what you need to debug this problem? Ask, and I will comply. (I just trying to set this FATDOG to replace version 5s which ran for years.)

gcmartin

#60 Post by gcmartin »

@JustGreg

I'm not sure if this will be in line for what you want, but, FATDOG comes with a working Mozilla email facility in SeaMonkey. It works almost identical & same as Thunderbird, far as I know. Only difference is its built-in along with other facilities in Seamonkey.

This may help as I seem to remember somewhere, awhile back, that there was instructions to "marry" FF and SM so that you could use SM's email and tools and use FF browser too.

But, this was awhile ago.

Here to help