Forum downtime and issues today

News, happenings
Karl Godt

#61 Post by Karl Godt »

MU should have more than 100 posts I think . So would have fallen out of my filter .

About any size limits : This one by tempestuous is 8,61KB and won't download for me either :

915resolution-0.5.3-patched20110617.tar.gz
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=42048]

from 915resolution patched thread in the Additional Software Drivers section .

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#62 Post by Flash »

The forum just gives me an error message when I try to look at that post. :( The post doesn't even show up when I look for it in the thread one page at a time.

Caneri

#63 Post by Caneri »

This looks like Murga needs some help.
I wouldn't even know where to start.

Any ideas?

I would never think Murga has missed something...but with the server loads he may need something more.

Your thoughts? ....and I will chip in if needs be...Eric

EDIT: Is it just forum software that's the culprit?
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Karl Godt

#64 Post by Karl Godt »

probably filesystem corruption ..

Caneri

#65 Post by Caneri »

Sheesh..I hope not.

I can handle a backup for the forum if Murga needs it (also tlchost can handle it).

There are others that can chip in as well to quell the nasty corruptions.

There were some of us that wanted to cull files from Murga...alas it never went anywhere a few years back. It was very difficult.

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

tlchost

#66 Post by tlchost »

Caneri wrote: I can handle a backup for the forum if Murga needs it (also tlchost can handle it).
Some time in the past when there was a very big outage on the forum, John promised there would be a fully working backup(or words to that effect) in place.

I've never seen it, or heard any more mention of it....so I can only assume it did not happen.

If one thinks in terms of distributed technology, it makes no sense whatsoever to rely on any single venue to be the home of applications, scripts, etc.

I'm not a distro hopper...so it's fairly easy for me to maintain a local copy of every .pet, .sfs, script, distro that I've ever used....if I loose that, and the 2 sets of backups...shame on me.

Strongly suggest that if you think something is useful to you....save it.

Perhaps a new thread might be in order to find items missing from the forum that someone has locally, or stored online.

I'd offer an online database to track the stuff....but my experience with one for pets and sfs files is that folks simply don't use it...but they do complain about missing things.

Thom

Caneri

#67 Post by Caneri »

Thom,

I've seen and talked to you about your trying to offer services (database,chat,hosting and more)...alas they were not used. Complaints continue but your service is not used....WTF?

I have no idea why your offers are not taken up to be used by the pups...alas

Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

tlchost

#68 Post by tlchost »

Caneri wrote:Thom,

I've seen and talked to you about your trying to offer services (database,chat,hosting and more)...alas they were not used. Complaints continue but your service is not used....WTF?
Anything I could say would most likely be mis-understood.

Drop in #puppylinux on irc.freenode.net ... I'd be happy to discuss the issue with you or anyone else in real time :D

Thom

majorfoo

#69 Post by majorfoo »

Karl Godt wrote:
915resolution-0.5.3-patched20110617.tar.gz
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=42048]

from 915resolution patched thread in the Additional Software Drivers section .
915resolution patched.pet can be found at
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_packages-quirky/

barry's comments at
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01251

Q5sys

#70 Post by Q5sys »

Caneri wrote:This looks like Murga needs some help.
I wouldn't even know where to start.
Any ideas?
EDIT: Is it just forum software that's the culprit?
Caneri wrote:Sheesh..I hope not.
I can handle a backup for the forum if Murga needs it (also tlchost can handle it).
There are others that can chip in as well to quell the nasty corruptions.
There were some of us that wanted to cull files from Murga...alas it never went anywhere a few years back. It was very difficult.
Eric
tlchost wrote:Some time in the past when there was a very big outage on the forum, John promised there would be a fully working backup(or words to that effect) in place.
I've never seen it, or heard any more mention of it....so I can only assume it did not happen.
If one thinks in terms of distributed technology, it makes no sense whatsoever to rely on any single venue to be the home of applications, scripts, etc.
I'm not a distro hopper...so it's fairly easy for me to maintain a local copy of every .pet, .sfs, script, distro that I've ever used....if I loose that, and the 2 sets of backups...shame on me.
Strongly suggest that if you think something is useful to you....save it.
Perhaps a new thread might be in order to find items missing from the forum that someone has locally, or stored online.
I'd offer an online database to track the stuff....but my experience with one for pets and sfs files is that folks simply don't use it...but they do complain about missing things.
Thom
After the last major outage which lasted a week I contacted John and offered him to use part of my server as a backup. I sliced off a section with its own Admin panel and, even offered the domain name puppy-linux.org (which I own) for him to use. I had the entire thing ready for him to just log into and make a mirror copy. He had shell and cron access so it could sync daily. He said he was going to use it and made the comment to the community that it'd be taken care of. Sadly... its still sitting there doing nothing. (I'm now hosting puppy files on that domain, just so its used)

Even though it was there all ready to go... it was never used. It was all set up but he told me he was too busy to do anything with it.
Late last year, I talked to him for about 2 months about adding a 64bit forum, so that stuff wouldnt get mixed up with the other 32bit software/puppy's in the forum. But he didnt have time for that either.

I know for a fact, that the forum software has problems. I'm well aware of several exploits that exist in the forum software. Running phpbb2 at this stage of the game is a disaster waiting to happen. It's not a matter of if... its a matter of when. All it would take is a person with a grudge and a few hours to research it, and they could have this forum torn apart. Yes John could load a backup, but it'd just happen again.

I realize John is busy with things in real life. But if he's too busy to manage the site, then he needs to choose someone to help him out. Otherwise one day... something will happen and the entire community will be screwed because all of our eggs were put in one basket.

I'm willing to spend the time the site will require to manage. I'm willing to spend the time to make sure the software is current and isn't exploitable. I'm willing to cover the server cost and expense. But my willingness to do this for the community isn't being utilized.

No matter how much I'm willing to do this... I can't do anything without John being on board.

tlchost

#71 Post by tlchost »

Q5sys wrote: I'm willing to spend the time the site will require to manage. I'm willing to spend the time to make sure the software is current and isn't exploitable. I'm willing to cover the server cost and expense. But my willingness to do this for the community isn't being utilized.
Not to diminish your efforts....but several people have made similar offers in the past....promises have been made by John to have a working backup for the forum in place.

I think that lack of action in either having the promised backup or taking up the offers to help speaks for itself.

There doesn't seem to be much point in beating the already dead horse. It's not productive and doesn't solve the problem. Since there seems little clamor to make things better, one can assume most folks are content with lowered expectations.

Thom

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#72 Post by Flash »

On the other hand we're still here, chugging along, what, eight years later? :D

Ted Dog

#73 Post by Ted Dog »

I'm surprised how long John has put up with some of the slams and spams this site has endured over the years.

Q5sys

#74 Post by Q5sys »

Flash wrote:On the other hand we're still here, chugging along, what, eight years later? :D
And I'm glad that we are. But its silly not to put ourselves in a better more stable place with a backup of some sort, just because we we haven't gotten completely screwed in the past. There's a reason people pay insurance for their homes, cars, etc.
Being prepared is always better than not being prepared.

When there are no problems... most people dont care. When there is a problem like when the forum went down for over a week last time; everyone flips out and goes nuclear. A little bit of work and effort now, will help silence the screaming masses when something does go wrong.

I just think we should be pro-active and take away opportunities and chances for people to bitch and complain when something does happen that was easily avoidable.

gcmartin

#75 Post by gcmartin »

I seem to remember in a brief with John awhile ago that he has plans to upgrade the site with latest "bb-ware".

Could it possibly be that he may be trying to do that and wants to get that done first, before moving the site to a new physical home? It could be that he's working on something as we speak.

That could explain, in part, what's happening.

Question:
What would it take to upgrade the BB software in a completely mirrored approach which would provide physical redundancy?

A dialogue with approaches could certainly provide good guidance no matter what.

Q5sys

#76 Post by Q5sys »

gcmartin wrote:I seem to remember in a brief with John awhile ago that he has plans to upgrade the site with latest "bb-ware".
What exactly do you mean... 'in a brief'?
Also what do you mean by 'bb-ware'? Are you using that term to mean phpbb forum software? Vbulletin? Invision?

gcmartin wrote:Could it possibly be that he may be trying to do that and wants to get that done first, before moving the site to a new physical home? It could be that he's working on something as we speak.
That could explain, in part, what's happening.
There's no way for any of us to know what may or may not be happening, since there is no open communication. The last time I spoke with John was months ago, so I cant vouch for anything either way. All I know is that when we spoke before he was too busy to do anything.
Mirgrating from phpbb2 to phpbb3 is the simpliest route to go. Going from phpbb2 to another forum software requires extensive database conversion. Something that takes quite a lot of time, and also very precise knowledge and experience.

gcmartin wrote:Question:
What would it take to upgrade the BB software in a completely mirrored approach which would provide physical redundancy?
Trying to set up a mirror within forum software would be stupid, and may not even be possible.
Any mirroring would be done on the shell level on the server. Its not really hard at all, all you need is A) another server B) shell access C) cron job access D) some simple shell scripting knowledge.
You simply create a daily (or however often you want) backup of the sql database, which you then transfer between the main server and the mirror. Then on the mirror side you import the sql database into the forum on the mirror.
You could also strip passwords from the sql database before transferring between servers that way the mirror is a read only backup. This in my opinion is the best option as you never have to worry about any user being able to make a post on the mirror. You wouldn't want write access on the mirror because when the next sync occurs any changes would be overwritten.

gcmartin wrote:A dialogue with approaches could certainly provide good guidance no matter what.
I dont think anyone of us can really say anything that John doesn't already know.
If John doesn't want any changes to happen... then nothing will happen.
If John wants to make these changes but doesn't have time and doesn't want to give anyone else access... then nothing will happen.
If John does want to make changes and has time... then something will happen.

The Ball is entirely in John's court. People, like myself, have offered to help, but our offers have not been used. I think this is one of the reasons people talk about John being possessive about the forum and making sure that no one other than a couple even the slightest control over it. I really hope that's not the case. At the end of the day though, I dont really care about any of that crap. I just want the community to have a system in place that when the forum does go down... we have a backup of some kind.
All I can do is offer to help...

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#77 Post by Flash »

In the past John has allowed other people a bit more control, but evidently he got worried about or didn't like the results.

Q5sys

#78 Post by Q5sys »

Flash wrote:In the past John has allowed other people a bit more control, but evidently he got worried about or didn't like the results.
Yea I've had a few bad experiences in the past when I've pulled others in to help mod forums I've helped run. So I understand his trepidation. But surely there has to be people in this community who John would trust, that could help. I'm sure he's smart enough to judge a person by their conduct here, and would want to talk to them on the phone or something before moving forward with something big.

I've only been around here since 2008, but there are plenty who have been around since 2005, which seems to be the magical year for this forum. I guess I was just 3 years late. lol

8-bit

#79 Post by 8-bit »

Before a lot of older posts on early Puppy versions disappeared, I would like to see an archive of them offered as there are still some faithful users of these early versions such as Puppy 3.01.
And I am sure there are other versions of Puppy still in use.
Also, using "The Wayback Machine" (that I have lost the link to) may or may not be a source for older posts and working download links.

I seem to remember John Murga stating at one time he had backups of the forum.
But he did not seem interested in offering them to anyone. Maybe due to the possible requests for copies that could involve a lot of work he was not ready to do.

But I also remember when Puppy's WIKI got trashed by spammers/hackers and a lot of older useful information was lost for all time as there were no backups.
And I saw enough of those posts and how-to's that I was sad to see them lost.

Q5sys

#80 Post by Q5sys »

8-bit wrote:Before a lot of older posts on early Puppy versions disappeared, I would like to see an archive of them offered as there are still some faithful users of these early versions such as Puppy 3.01.
And I am sure there are other versions of Puppy still in use.
Also, using "The Wayback Machine" (that I have lost the link to) may or may not be a source for older posts and working download links.

I seem to remember John Murga stating at one time he had backups of the forum.
But he did not seem interested in offering them to anyone. Maybe due to the possible requests for copies that could involve a lot of work he was not ready to do.

But I also remember when Puppy's WIKI got trashed by spammers/hackers and a lot of older useful information was lost for all time as there were no backups.
And I saw enough of those posts and how-to's that I was sad to see them lost.
I'm working on an archive for Puppy ISOs right now. I've gotten a bunch so far... but I'm still trying to round up more. If someone can find some sort of forum threads either on archive.org or some other cache site... I'll add that to the site.