"Testing" Sensei & Sensei64

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
nancy reagan

#41 Post by nancy reagan »

meowcats wrote:Yes external USB flash drive.
Same here

stifiling

#42 Post by stifiling »

@James C
Thanks for the good news. if you happen to have a machine with a 64-bit processor..could you give the sensei64 a whirl...

meowcats & nancy reagan,

I believe the save file is now working correctly when booting from USB (hopefully no kernel panic). i know the download is a little larger than usual...but i've made it abt 70MB lighter. If you want to try it again, and let me know your thoughts after...

James C

#43 Post by James C »

stifiling wrote:@James C
Thanks for the good news. if you happen to have a machine with a 64-bit processor..could you give the sensei64 a whirl...
I've got several 64 bit boxes......kinda busy but I'll test sensei64 out in a day or two.

nancy reagan

#44 Post by nancy reagan »

stifiling wrote:@James C

meowcats & nancy reagan,

I believe the save file is now working correctly when booting from USB (hopefully no kernel panic). i know the download is a little larger than usual...but i've made it abt 70MB lighter. If you want to try it again, and let me know your thoughts after...
Foremost: I am a full noob, thus my reports might be false, while I hope not. ..

Though no kernel panic, at end of session was'nt asked whether or not wanted to save. This while according to setting was going to be "prompted" whether or not save.

Tested with FF but no history to be found while set to "save".

stifiling

#45 Post by stifiling »

i made some necessary adjustments to the 32bit isos for users interested in usb flash drive booting.

i believe the problem nancy, may be that:

you should make the directory on your flash drive /mnt/sdb1/Sensei and copy the sfs files from the iso into that directory.

also use the boot paramater in your grub entry

Code: Select all

psubdir=/Sensei
and there should be no kernel panic or session saving issues.

meowcats

#46 Post by meowcats »

I have not been using grub. I use syslinux instead.

what do you think about providing a updated kernel?
murga and alphaos both use 3.8.x

stifiling

#47 Post by stifiling »

meowcats wrote:what do you think about providing a updated kernel?
that's not a task that would be too difficult to accomplish. kind of conflicted on it though. what would really be a great reason for using an updated kernel, opposed to an already well tested one? My experiences with newer kernels have brought about unwanted hardware issues.

I notice Barry also never rolls out the new Puppy releases, with the brand spanking new kernel. I wonder if his reasons for not doing so are similar to mine.

I'm not against that idea. It 'sounds' like a good idea. But is it? what's the benefit? Like i said i've only come across, "oh no! my ____ doesn't work anymore. let me figure out how to get this back on."

meowcats

#48 Post by meowcats »

Of course the flipside to unwanted bugs/issues are that an outdated kernel may not have support for some newer hardware. So instead of 'it doesn't work anymore' it becomes 'why won't it work at all'
Especially for a portable frugal install, IMO more driver support > occasional bug.

also, I tried latest sensei and save file indeed works!
However I added "radeon" to modules in rc.conf, and on reboot my ati4850 goes off and "monitor out of range"

stifiling

#49 Post by stifiling »

meowcats,

could you try installing:

pacman -S xf86-video-ati

and editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf changing line 3 from:

Driver "vesa"
to
Driver "radeon"

and see if that works...

Tote

#50 Post by Tote »

Hi stifling, going to show my ignorance here. I installed hardinfo using Pacman Express and I can run it by typing hardinfo in console, but is there an easy/obvious method I've overlooked to add it to Menu?

Many thanks.

stifiling

#51 Post by stifiling »

Tote wrote:Hi stifling, going to show my ignorance here. I installed hardinfo using Pacman Express and I can run it by typing hardinfo in console, but is there an easy/obvious method I've overlooked to add it to Menu?

Many thanks.
it should be in the menu category "System" by the name of "System Profiler and Benchmark"

meowcats

#52 Post by meowcats »

Hi, yes the package xf86-video-ati simply needed to be installed. I had falsely assumed that given the large size of sendesk', that it was included.

meowcats

#53 Post by meowcats »

Btw basic install with Radeon using 990Mb ram : o

stifiling

#54 Post by stifiling »

meowcats wrote:Btw basic install with Radeon using 990Mb ram : o
WOW...so using the radeon video driver made it jump to 990MB ram? what's the ram usage using the vesa driver?

which sensei are u using exactly? pae, non-pae, or 64bit?

meowcats

#55 Post by meowcats »

Using pfix=ram, free -m shows 770M used. That's just a default config that's loading with vesa

With 1GB save file and Radeon: 990M. using non pae because I need kernel 3.2+ for Carl 9170-fw

stifiling

#56 Post by stifiling »

meowcats wrote:Using pfix=ram, free -m shows 770M used. That's just a default config that's loading with vesa

With 1GB save file and Radeon: 990M. using non pae because I need kernel 3.2+ for Carl 9170-fw
could you take a look in LXTask....and see which process is using the most RAM...under RSS. 770MB is also ridiculously high.

which kernel do u like from which puppy? i presently just yanks a prebuilt kernel from another puppy...and slams it in using this procedure...

I'm just wondering if that issue is being caused by the kernel though.

James C

#57 Post by James C »

Tried Sensei64 while I've got a free minute ....... live cd booted to a prompt. Tried "startx" and "startxfce4" ...... got the prompt.
Did a quick frugal install booting with good old legacy Grub ..... same results..... only gets to a prompt.

VGA compatible controller		: NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Out of time tonight but it appears that the senapps64_001.sfs and sendesk64-xfce_001.sfs aren't loading.Didn't notice any mention that would inicate they were loading during the boot process.

stifiling

#58 Post by stifiling »

James C wrote:Out of time tonight but it appears that the senapps64_001.sfs and sendesk64-xfce_001.sfs aren't loading.Didn't notice any mention that would inicate they were loading during the boot process.
that's really strange. yes u should see that they loaded during the boot process. senapps and sendesk.

when u tried it, did u use "psubdir" in the grub menu entry? If so, and u have a chance to try it again, could u try it w/o "psubdir".

i really don't see why that would matter though. i don't see how the main.sfs is loading...but the other two aren't. as if they aren't in range. i can't reproduce that exact same behavior.

Tote

#59 Post by Tote »

stifiling wrote:
Tote wrote:Hi stifling, going to show my ignorance here. I installed hardinfo using Pacman Express and I can run it by typing hardinfo in console, but is there an easy/obvious method I've overlooked to add it to Menu?

Many thanks.
it should be in the menu category "System" by the name of "System Profiler and Benchmark"
Thank you, found it.

meowcats

#60 Post by meowcats »

stifiling wrote:could you take a look in LXTask....and see which process is using the most RAM...under RSS. 770MB is also ridiculously high.

which kernel do u like from which puppy? i presently just yanks a prebuilt kernel from another puppy...and slams it in using this procedure...

I'm just wondering if that issue is being caused by the kernel though.
In LXtask it shows ~110mb used, but when option 'count cache as used memory' is checked, then it shows ~770mb.
free -m only shows the 770mb. A large portion is used by XFCE. ~120mb is used by X.

As far as kernels, the upup raring kernel, or fatdog 620. Both are modern kernels with lots of testers