Fatdog64-620 Final (17 April 2013) and 621 (9 May 2013)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gcmartin

#61 Post by gcmartin »

My video on the motherboard is a GeForce 6150SE.

Does anyone have any straight forward instructions to use the nVidia
"304" PET and install it as a replacement for the nouveau driver?

I continue to use the "nouveau.noaccel=1" boot-time parm, on Live media boot. but, should I forget or miss, it will boot to desktop with nouveau and sometime later, it will "brick" into a scrambled screen across all consoles requiring a hard-reset.

Just looking for a "standard" procedure for Live-media use to get a driver which will work without the nouveau boot parm requirement.

Once thing I think I noticed, is that. without the parm, the system will brick somewhere around the event(s) associated with "screen-save" if that helps with the diagnosis. It never happens immediately upon boot or while continued use of system. If one leaves and returns sometime much later, attempt to use desktop will brick it.

Thanks, in advance for any guidance.

Gobbi

#62 Post by Gobbi »

kirk wrote:
I'll try to do a Catalyst 13.3 beta3 pet too.
Thank you kirk ! :D I look forward to try such a pet .

spandey

#63 Post by spandey »

My modem is in bridge mode and I need to PPPoe with user id and password. I used Roarng Penguin to connect. After successful connection I was unable to browse. I was looking at the Kernel messages/ logs for my PPP issue and found the following error:
'Kernel does not support PPP filtering'

How do I activate it?

jamesbond

#64 Post by jamesbond »

Ted Dog wrote:Nice recoding of this so much easier to follow. But two suggestions that we learned the hard way was to drop -J (Microsofts special bug filled add-on to iso9600) and add -D for deep directory support. Also do not get too attached to growisofs, I could not find a work-around for its limitations with UDF , but cdrecord can do the same task as growisofs, but we would need to add a bunch of math to tell cdrecord where to append on the disc. UDF works the same on DVD & Bluray and the driver has a iso9600 support in its code history.
I was ready to drop -J and replace that with -U (udf) but udf has a problem exactly as you said - it doesn't support session when run under growisofs. In fact I'm not sure whether cdrecord supports UDF session at all - have you got it to work? The problem of dropping -J is that when the disc is read in a Windows system; Windows can only display 8.3 file names. This used to be important (as most Fatdog users also use Windows), I'm not sure now. Perhaps newer version of Windows understand Rockridge directly?
I'm happy to deploy -D if it doesn't have any bad side effects. I don't use multisession (or burn data to DVD) that much myself, so I appreciate a feedback from one who spends a lot of time on these things.
I'm sure I added the base2ram setting, but I will double check.
Please make sure you use it like this: "base2ram=yes". Just adding "base2ram" isn't sufficient, you must pass a parameter value.
For me I can get around these issues easily by just using the simple scripts I already use for testing.
Fatdog64 method of compartmentalizing the environment makes it easier for me to test newer multisession code. So do not spend any of your time, If this works for you, NOW. But I do hope you would consider, changes to multisession that would combine more of the old style puppylinux with the two methods you used. Those two changes where on my high priority list for the practical reasons of addressing the old style puppylinux multisession negatives. But not as a replacement.
Thanks. I am always open for patches :)

Atle,
Thank you for your kind words.
pedro wrote:However with this cpu x does not start using the radeon driver
Could be because of missing firmware. My wife's laptop has amd trinity too, and for the longest time the radeon driver would mess up the screen until I found out the missing firmware and added it. If you can somehow capture your "dmesg" output when running the radeon driver and save it somewhere, we may be able to figure out which firmware is needed.

WillM,
Thank you, I will send you a PM.

JustGreg,
Thunderbird, like firefox and seamonkey, run as "spot". You need to put the profile under /root/spot and grant access to all the files in .thunderbird to spot (or make them owned by spot). Alternatively, you can run thunderbird as "root" by editing the desktop file.
gcmartin wrote:Running Live media FATDOG from multi-session DVD.

Used PPM to get the SAMBA extension to set password, test configuration, etc.
Saved the shipped configuration to smb.bak and created a new smb.conf.
Via Control Panel, I enabled the SAMBA server also setting for start at boot.
Tested the system for ability to share and shutdown to save all session changes to the Live media.
On reboot, I can see the system start and gather the save-session files from the Live media.
On Reboot at desktop, /etc/samba folder has been reset to pristine (meaning none of the prior session changes exist)
and Control Panel shows that none of the SAMBA server selection are present (thus, no server enabled or running at system start).

Not sure what you need to debug this problem? Ask, and I will comply. (I just trying to set this FATDOG to replace version 5s which ran for years.)
Does other aspects of session save works? Only /etc/samba doesn't work? Or you fail to save the session altogether?
gcmartin wrote:My video on the motherboard is a GeForce 6150SE.
And a cursory lookup in http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html says that it is supported by the legacy driver, which you can install from the Package Manager if you like (try it first on a blank new disc so if you screw up all you lost is a disc).
Alternatively, if you are happy with "nouveau.noaccel=1", then create a blank new file located in /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau.conf
and put the text "options nouveau noaccel=1" in it. The option will then be used for future reboots.
spandey wrote:My modem is in bridge mode and I need to PPPoe with user id and password. I used Roarng Penguin to connect. After successful connection I was unable to browse. I was looking at the Kernel messages/ logs for my PPP issue and found the following error:
Try to load the
spandey wrote:My modem is in bridge mode and I need to PPPoe with user id and password. I used Roarng Penguin to connect. After successful connection I was unable to browse. I was looking at the Kernel messages/ logs for my PPP issue and found the following error:

How do I activate it?
I don't have any pppoe so I can't test myself.
1. Please post output of "ifconfig -a". It could be that you've got a good connection but simply the nameserver isn't set properly.
If you want to try this and happy with Google, you can do "echo nameserver 8.8.8.8 > /etc/resolv.conf" (from terminal) after you've got your PPPoE connection up. 8.8.8.8 is Google's DNS server.
2. Try "modprobe pppoe" and "modprobe pptp" and see if it helps.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

kirk

#65 Post by kirk »

I've uploaded a thunderbird-17.0.5.pet to the repo, which also runs as user spot by default. Thanks James :wink:

Also uploaded a ati-catalyst-13.3b3-3.8.7.pet to the repo. Make sure you use a new savefile if you're going to try this. The release notes are here.

For any of the proprietary video drivers, you need to find out which version you need by going to the manufacture's web site. Then download and install the corresponding pet package from the repo. You'll want to use a new savefile as well, if it doesn't work they may not uninstall cleanly.

Sage

#66 Post by Sage »

re. Thunderbird:

Particularly if you live in the USA, wouldn't bother with Thunderbird. Badly conceived, badly written from the off. Some Puppy folks go with Sylpheed, although Claws is more professional if bigger. However, for Americans, EUDORA OSE 1 is by far the best, even though it's now owned by Mozilla. Eudora was professionally written and preferred by most professionals. Why Americans - it only ever had a Webster dictionary so it takes a long time to train it to use proper English. Oh yes, you'll probably need to persuade one of the Puppy gurus who previously wrote a 32bit .pet to deploy their talents on a 64bit port. If you wait long enough, Mozilla have promised to morph Eudora into a Thunderbird look-alike. Merging entirely different base codes may not prove quick or successful - who knows?!

gcmartin

#67 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @Jamesbond for your reply.

Server Manager (SAMBA, et.al)
Further review of the Server manager shows that the server I "disabled" remained disabled while the servers I enable and started did not show enabled/restarted after save-session during reboot. Specifically crond, ntp, samba.

Video
I will use the legacy (3.04) PET for nVidia. My question is for a recommendation for proper installation of the PET. Should I simple open the PPM and select it where on reboot the system will automatically pick it up or should I install and at boot-time do something which will insure proper selection of the PET's addtion?
(I am still having some annoying issues where sometimes I clicks on desktop are NOT working, and moments later they are working again. (???) Seems potentially caused by driver. And, it seems my video is on-fire (see below) with nouveau.)

Edit: Is the following a good guide?
  1. Start at boot time, hit tab and add "blacklist=nouveau" at the end of the line
  2. hit enter to boot
  3. Open Control Panel > System tab > FATDOG PPM
  4. Scroll to nVidia ... 3.04..PET and double-click to install the legacy driver
Questions
  • Is that the recommended approach of adding 3.04 (legacy) to a FATDOG620?
  • And, after PPM installation, is the system already running with the legacy?
  • Should other steps be taken BEFORE save-session on reboot?
Attachments
Video On-FIRE.png
Video Temperature
(28.9 KiB) Downloaded 754 times
Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 23 Apr 2013, 18:35, edited 2 times in total.

JustGreg

#68 Post by JustGreg »

Thank you for the information and suggestions on Thunderbird. I will wait and try the updated Pet when it is available. If necessary, I can use web mail. It has been the ease of updates that has keep me with it for so long.

I got some time to work on this. Yes, Jamesbond, part of my problem was Thunderbird needs to run under as spot. One thing, I did notice about the Thunderbird pet. It identifies itself as "Early Bird", which was a test version of the 64 bit Thunderbird.

I removed the 32 bit version of Thunderbird and installed the 64 bit version. I placed the 32 bit .thunderbird directory in spot. I tried the 64 bit version and it did not see the old profile. I renamed the old 32 bit directory to mythunderbird and created the new account for my ISP email account. I noticed (now the mythunderbird directory could be seen), that mythunderbird directory was still own by root. I opened a console terminal window and when to spot. I used the command

Code: Select all

chown -R spot mythunderbird
to make the directory and its contents owned by spot. I then copied the mail directory of the old profile to the new profile directory. I also copied the files ending in mab (address books) over.

Upon restarting 64 bit Thunderbird, all my addresses and save mail was present. Now for the next version of Fatdog, my old method should work.

For desktop item, I dropped /usr/bin/thunderbird-spot on the desktop. Added an email icon and edited the title, I now have thunderbird on the desktop as well.

I hope this helps and thank you for the other posts.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

JustGreg

#69 Post by JustGreg »

I have been experimenting with USB flash drives and fatdog64. I want to learn more about the EFI-Stub boot using only rEFInd and not Grub2. I have found that all flash drives are not equal in speed. I have a 512 Megabyte Lexar drive that EFI-Stub boot works without any problems. However, a Kingston 1 Gigabyte drive will not boot using the EFI-Stub process. I get a failure to read the initrd file. When using Grub2, the Kingston drive works without a problem.

The moral is with a USB drive, it is best to use both rEFInd and Grub2 for the booting of the device.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

Q5sys

#70 Post by Q5sys »

I'll try to play around with 620Final this weekend if I get time. If I do... I'll build the latest short Branch Nvidia driver for those who want to be on the bleeding edge.

Atle

#71 Post by Atle »

I will be bleeding waiting to try that.

Being a person that does not want to ask to much from the volunteers in the community, I did not post a request about me not getting Nvidia drivers working for my GeForce GT 520m in my ASUS U36SD.

But I did try em all, and the GetNvidia is far to complex for GUI guys like me.

So do I look forward to see this bleeding edge stuff? YES I DO :D

Atle

kirk

#72 Post by kirk »

Is that the recommended approach of adding 3.04 (legacy) to a FATDOG620?
For the Nvidia/ATI pets, you just install them and reboot. The open source modules are blacklisted or removed by the pet.
One thing, I did notice about the Thunderbird pet. It identifies itself as "Early Bird", which was a test version of the 64 bit Thunderbird.
No, that's what Thunderbird labels itself if you compile it your self instead of using an official binary. Same reason Firefox calls it's self Nightly. I think you can specify mozilla branding when compiling, but you're not supposed to.
I did not post a request about me not getting Nvidia drivers working for my GeForce GT 520m in my ASUS U36SD.
The Nvidia pets I uploaded at first were broken, I think they're fixed now. It looks like you need the nvidia-310.44-3.8.7.pet. If you try it make sure to use a new savefile.

JustGreg

#73 Post by JustGreg »

No, that's what Thunderbird labels itself if you compile it your self instead of using an official binary. Same reason Firefox calls it's self Nightly. I think you can specify mozilla branding when compiling, but you're not supposed to.
Thank you, Kirk, for the information. This explains the difference between the two. Will the Fatdog versions of FireFox and Thunderbird update to the latest versions or are they frozen at the release of the source code?
Enjoy life, Just Greg

Sage

#74 Post by Sage »

Update on Eudora OSE 1.
Good News:
Allegedly it is compatible with 64bit code, whatever that implies.
So, just needs a kind soul who does that sort of thing to do it for FD....
...maybe.
Might need some extra libs? ia32?

spandey

#75 Post by spandey »

1. Here is the output from "ifconfig -a"

Code: Select all

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr   
          inet addr:192.168.1.2  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:26 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:1791 (1.7 KiB)  TX bytes:436 (436.0 B)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol  
          inet addr:117.197.237.72  P-t-P:117.197.232.1  Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1460 Metric:1
          RX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:3 
          RX bytes:176 (176.0 B)  TX bytes:61 (61.0 B)

2. I changed the /etc/resolv.conf but no success
Try "modprobe pppoe" and "modprobe pptp" and see if it helps. .
Sorry this also didn't help

jamesbond

#76 Post by jamesbond »

JustGreg wrote:I have a 512 Megabyte Lexar drive that EFI-Stub boot works without any problems. However, a Kingston 1 Gigabyte drive will not boot using the EFI-Stub process
It could also be a combination between the USB and the UEFI firmware. rEFInd uses UEFI routines to load the huge initrd. Grub2 uses its own. Anyway, moral of the story is the same :)
Thank you, Kirk, for the information. This explains the difference between the two. Will the Fatdog versions of FireFox and Thunderbird update to the latest versions or are they frozen at the release of the source code?
They are frozen at the release of the source code. I believe I speak correctly for kirk when I say that both of us never try to upgrade when we're using Fatdog versions of these.

On the bright side, if you do need the updates, you can download and use the official 64-bit versions of firefox and thunderbird.
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... ux-x86_64/
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... ux-x86_64/
Get the tarball from your language, and extract the contents under /usr/lib64 (For firefox, delete the symlink /usr/lib64/firefox first)
and then symlink /usr/lib64/firefox/firefox and /usr/lib64/thunderbird/thunderbird to /usr/bin.
They work and they *should* upgrade cleanly (the keyword here is *should* :))
Sage wrote:Update on Eudora OSE 1.
Good News:
Allegedly it is compatible with 64bit code, whatever that implies.
So, just needs a kind soul who does that sort of thing to do it for FD....
...maybe.
Might need some extra libs? ia32?
Get the eudora tarball, extract it to /usr/lib64, symlink /usr/lib64/eudora/eudora to /usr/bin.
Then load 32-bit sfs, and start eudora like this: "start32 eudora". At least I got the menus and everything, I haven't tested beyond that. I agree a pet would be nicer :)
spandey wrote:ppp0 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
inet addr:117.197.237.72 P-t-P:117.197.232.1 Mask:255.255.255.255
UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1460 Metric:1
RX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
RX bytes:176 (176.0 B) TX bytes:61 (61.0 B)
From the looks of it, you do get the connection correctly as ppp0 shows the correct IP address.
So it's not a kernel problem etc. The fact that you still can't connect after using Google's DNS means that somehow your IP routing may be troublesome.
Can you actually ping 8.8.8.8 when connected with pppoe? If you can't - can you paste the output of "route -n" when you're connected to pppoe?
gcmartin wrote:And, it seems my video is on-fire (see below) with nouveau.)
Unfortunately, the open source drivers (radeon included) aren't well known for their "cool" performance. I'm forced to run with Catalyst driver here because if I use open source radeon driver, my temp will be 20 centigrade higher.
Server Manager (SAMBA, et.al)
Further review of the Server manager shows that the server I "disabled" remained disabled while the servers I enable and started did not show enabled/restarted after save-session during reboot. Specifically crond, ntp, samba.
"ntp" service runs shortly at boot to set the clock, then exits. I need to check crond and samba, will get back to you later.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Atle

#77 Post by Atle »

@Kirk...

I did what you said:
The Nvidia pets I uploaded at first were broken, I think they're fixed now. It looks like you need the nvidia-310.44-3.8.7.pet. If you try it make sure to use a new savefile.
The new thing was that Nvidia driver was not picked at start, that according to Nvidia setting in control panel.. This AFTER a the reboot requested by the installation.

It came up in 480x 600 or so.

I quit X and did the xorgwizard, set it to auto resolution. And the driver did not want to work with that or any combi of color dept and my 1366x 768.

So after reading about my ASUS on the web, I think this is a Quirkey GeForce GT 520m. Its up in latest Linux Mint, but most other OS fails.

So i can live with the right resolution in FD...

Anyhow... I think the driver might not be the right one, but can not tell for sure. This the the one Nvidia says is correct

Sage

#78 Post by Sage »

Thanks, jb. Symlink-ing is above my pay grade, so it'll await a kind gentleman passing this way (or, better, lady!).

gcmartin

#79 Post by gcmartin »

Kirk wrote:The Nvidia pets ... If you try it make sure to use a new savefile.
Thanks @Kirk, for your addressing on this video issue.

To understand correctly, should the nVidia PET be installed BEFORE any other save-sessions are done (ie. 1st save-session); or do you mean to save session after installation of the PET even though you may have other save-sessions on the LIve media?

Gobbi

#80 Post by Gobbi »

kirk wrote:
Also uploaded a ati-catalyst-13.3b3-3.8.7.pet to the repo.
Thank's again kirk :!:

Now , in the morning , just in case , I installed both pets : 13.1 and 13.3b3 , each one at a time , on a brand new iso FD620 but I did it on a friend's machine , the one whom I gave the 5770 . They work on his desktop and on mine too , the only difference is that the watermark from AMD says 'Testing use only' for the beta module .
Since I couldn't install on my desktop the ati 13.1 pet I tried home the one you just added to the repo and It works now . Both disks made with 5770 work and recognize my card as AMD Radeon 7800 Series in Catalyst and in Hardinfo . The same with the one I made with 13.3b3 . I hope the watermark will be no more when the module will become final .

Now there are 2 issues :
Analog audio is fine .
When I play videos over hdmi there is a nasty noise like a radio on SW mixed with the sound , I also tried a DVD and it is still there. I installed Xine too and the noise persisted . Playing the videos and the DVD with the same hardware using my custom FD610 gives a crystal sound in all cases , so I'm lucky because the GPU is recognized by Catalyst .

Then the optical drive in FD620 opens and shuts after 2 seconds when I give the first command and only the second time behaves normally . Always , not only when I use Pburn . I scratched a CD-RW and after that I just wait for the second time to open .

Usually I do a remaster with the new pet installed without using a savefile . The new module is loaded at the next boot using the remaster version.