Slacko vs Precise

Booting, installing, newbie
Fallingwater

Slacko vs Precise

#1 Post by Fallingwater »

I'm not a newbie, but I suppose this question is n00b-ish enough that it should go in this subforum.

I can't quite figure out why I should prefer one over the other. I understand the key difference that one draws from Slackware packages and the other one from Ubuntu ones, but what does this entail from a practical point of view?

Any performance difference at all between them?

AndyOpie150

#2 Post by AndyOpie150 »

I'm trying to set up a build environment for Android ROM's and kernels on a Puppy Distro from a USB drive (maybe later develop apps).

Precise is the only way to go that I can see.

Fallingwater

#3 Post by Fallingwater »

Ok, but what about generic use? I have no need for superspecialized things like building stuff for Android.

ICPUG

#4 Post by ICPUG »

Only 2 things as far as I can see.

1) You are more likely to get packages from the Precise repository working with Precise and packages from the Slackware repository working on Slacko. So if your favourite software is not in both repositories then your choice is made.

2) The developers of each version will each have their personal preferences. If you prefer one developer over another then the choice is made again.

In any event it will all change again when the next version of Puppy comes along with a different developer!

simargl

Re: Slacko vs Precise

#5 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce B

Re: Slacko vs Precise

#6 Post by Bruce B »

Fallingwater wrote:I can't quite figure out why I should prefer one over the other. I understand the key difference that one draws from Slackware packages and the other one from Ubuntu ones, but what does this entail from a practical point of view?
Generally I build my own software from the source packages. IF it is an easy and straight forward build and doesn't confuse or take all day. OTHERWISE I use a binary package.

If I use a binary package, I will usually use (1) a pet package hosted on an FTP server Barry and associates use for sharing their files. (2) A Debian package. (3) A Slackware package. (4) Odds and ends if the other options don't lend themselves right.

From a practical perspective:

* I do manual installs

* Sometimes the directory tree varies from the package and files need to be put in a different location than the packager intended.

* I run into some dependency problems on occasions and have to add extra files not included in the package.

Most people maybe use some kind of point and click installation method and if everything was done right by the user, the distro developer and the packager, this would be seamless and work nearly all of the time.

But I think reality is much less than perfect in many ways. I think it realistic to expect some snags and have to manually solve some problems.

~~

PS I stay away from anything and everything Ubuntu. I think my life is a bit easier due to my avoidance.

raffy

PHAT slacko

#7 Post by raffy »

PHAT Slacko will close the choice, as it ships ready with many applications. It also has a new-ish Linux kernel.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].