How to install custom Puppy from CD?

Booting, installing, newbie
RevBGary

How to install custom Puppy from CD?

#1 Post by RevBGary »

If I order the cd that has everything on it, will I be able to install just the parts I want to my hard drive? The site talks about being able to create your own live CD, but I don't have a CD burner, and would have to install what I wanted on my hard drive, if that can be done.Thanks. Gary

sunburnt

#2 Post by sunburnt »

Hi RevBGary; Puppy does 2 types of HD installs, a full install & a frugal install.
Different versions of Puppy have different successes with either of them.
The frugal is very popular, it's what I use... it's just the 3 main Puppy files copied to the HD.
This makes it very simple to setup & use, & it's just like running off the CD.
If you have any problems... that's what we're here for!

At first boot Puppy makes a SAVE file for a "storage/install/settings" space, so then there's 4 files total.
If you want to install lots of apps., then making this file BIG (512MB-1GB) is the way to go.

You may want to post just what you want to do with Puppy & folks can suggest apps. for you.
Tell what kind of PC you have, memory & HD size, dialup or cable, & what it'll be used for.

RevBGary

#3 Post by RevBGary »

I have an HP Pavilion 6830, with CD player but no CD burner, dial-up, lots of RAM--I had that upgraded--but a slow processor. I put Freespire 1.0 on in order to use its photo software with my digital camera, but internet access is painfully slow with Freespire--even slower than dial-up was with my old Windows ME. I want to continue to use Freespire for my camera, and also for word-processing, because Freespire works with my printer. But I would like to use Puppy and Opera loaded in RAM for internet access. The reason for Opera, rather than Dillo is that access to my online e-mail requires javascript. I can't figure out how to use apt-get with Freespire to get the driver for my Smartlink modem, so I can't use my Puppy 2.01 CD for internet access. Also, does the latest CD, which I understand has the Smartlink modem driver, also have Opera? Thanks in advance for all help. RevBGary

sunburnt

#4 Post by sunburnt »

I assume that Freespire doesn't have Opera, it must have FireFox or Mozilla.
Any of these browsers probably have Java installed (a must have for the WEB).

Make a new post for the Smartlink modem drivers for Puppy.
And another post for the Freespire photo software app. for Puppy (whatever it's name is).