Fatdog64-620 Final (17 April 2013) and 621 (9 May 2013)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Ted Dog

#81 Post by Ted Dog »

Atle wrote:I will be bleeding waiting to try that.

Being a person that does not want to ask to much from the volunteers in the community, I did not post a request about me not getting Nvidia drivers working for my GeForce GT 520m in my ASUS U36SD.

But I did try em all, and the GetNvidia is far to complex for GUI guys like me.

So do I look forward to see this bleeding edge stuff? YES I DO :D

Atle
I've got the same GeForce GT 520 (not seeing an M ) and a copy of the pet two 'fixes' back worked flawlessly for me :) Im not new to puppylinux but feel like a noob with fatdog64.

Im using VGA are you trying HDMI or DVI ports?

Also did not know there was a gui for that, I just found it with my snooping skills from the website used to download the iso, just go up one level to the parent directory and a whole bunch of other sister directories appears chocked full of goodies... :twisted:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/pets/6 ... -3.8.7.pet

Also its nice to finally see the card up to its potential, I do not use anything but Linux on that machine, so I could not tell if I had a dud (You know the cheaper side of Bleeding Edge like this card is) But now with a 64bit environment and a working chipmakers secrete bits used, its nice man, did not waste the el-cheapo bottom dollar spent on this card. :D

rcrsn51

#82 Post by rcrsn51 »

Gobbi wrote:Then the optical drive in FD620 opens and shuts after 2 seconds when I give the first command and only the second time behaves normally . Always , not only when I use Pburn . I scratched a CD-RW and after that I just wait for the second time to open .
I can confirm the same behaviour with the "eject" command. If the tray is initially empty, it will stay open. Thereafter, it immediately closes again.

If I push the eject button on the drive, it may or may not stay open.

Ted Dog

#83 Post by Ted Dog »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Gobbi wrote:Then the optical drive in FD620 opens and shuts after 2 seconds when I give the first command and only the second time behaves normally . Always , not only when I use Pburn . I scratched a CD-RW and after that I just wait for the second time to open .
I can confirm the same behaviour with the "eject" command. If the tray is initially empty, it will stay open. Thereafter, it immediately closes again.

If I push the eject button on the drive, it may or may not stay open.
Ditto, I thought it as just me.....

Atle

#84 Post by Atle »

@Ted Dog...
Im using VGA are you trying HDMI or DVI ports?
The M stands for Mobile. Its inside a laptop. But I know there are issues about Linux and ASUS U36 in general as for the graphic card. Might be a early version or so from the vendor.

But in latest Mint I got it working. Yet as for FD, it might be me doing it wrong, as I did not make a new savefile for this purpose, believing that that tips was so i did not mess up my FD savefile and being unable to boot into it.

Even as a Puppy newbee, i have found out how to boot into it and to disable a driver, before X. That is some progress :D

So I think I just wait to see what more comes up here...

atle

Q5sys

#85 Post by Q5sys »

Atle wrote:Anyhow... I think the driver might not be the right one, but can not tell for sure. This the the one Nvidia says is correct
Atle, check the link you posted... ia32 in the name is for the 32bit drivers. You'll need the 64bit one. ;)

Q5sys

#86 Post by Q5sys »

Q5sys wrote:I'll try to play around with 620Final this weekend if I get time. If I do... I'll build the latest short Branch Nvidia driver for those who want to be on the bleeding edge.
kirk wrote:The Nvidia pets I uploaded at first were broken, I think they're fixed now. It looks like you need the nvidia-310.44-3.8.7.pet. If you try it make sure to use a new savefile.
Just for clairity, the driver Kirk has posted is the Long Branch driver, and is probably the best option for most people. The Long Branch driver from Nvidia is usually a bit more stable and less prone to craziness. :P The Short Branch usually is the first to get the newest updates after they have cleared Beta, but it can still have issues to be worked out before getting merged with the Long Branch.

So everyone, try the Long Branch FIRST, If that doesnt work... then you can try the short branch I'll be posting soon.

spandey

#87 Post by spandey »

If you can't - can you paste the output of "route -n" when you're connected to pppoe?
You are right, the routing table is not correct.

Code: Select all

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
0.0.0.0          192.168.1.1      0.0.0.0            UG    0      0         0  eth0
127.0.0.0        0.0.0.0           255.0.0.0         U      0      0         0  lo
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0          255.255.255.0   U      0      0         0  eth0

JustGreg

#88 Post by JustGreg »

Jamesbond, thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I now known about both FireFox and Thunderbird. From your description of the upgrade process, one should be able to use dir2pet tool to create a pet. I will put that on the "to do" list. I will probably look at the Mozilla upgrade process and pets in next week or two.

I will do some more USB devices testing with actual USB hard drives to see if there is a difference between them and flash drives.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

Ted Dog

#89 Post by Ted Dog »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D

THIS WAS POSTED USING A MULTISESSION BLU-RAY FATDOG64 WITH FILES AND DIRECTORIES LARGER THAN A SINGLE DVD COULD SUPPORT

..... :wink: Not ready for prime time but the -J support for MiserySoft longnames had to be dropped inorder for this to work. We will not miss it. :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

JustGreg

#90 Post by JustGreg »

3 out of 4 USB 2.0 devices require the use of Grub2 to boot Fatdog with UEFI. The devices tested were:
Lexar 512 Megabyte Flash Drive
Kingston 1 Gigabyte Flash Drive
Kanguru Zipper HD 1 Gigabyte Hard Drive
Western Digital 36 Gigabyte Hard Drive.

Only the Lexar 512 Megabyte flash drive would boot using rEFInd and the EFI stub method.

There are no problems with internal hard drives :D

Things may be better with USB 3.0 and a USB 3.0 device. However, I do not have access to them.

I hope this helps.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

Q5sys

#91 Post by Q5sys »

Ted Dog wrote:THIS WAS POSTED USING A MULTISESSION BLU-RAY FATDOG64 WITH FILES AND DIRECTORIES LARGER THAN A SINGLE DVD COULD SUPPORT
Ok I'm curious... what file do you have on your Puppy BluRay that's larger than 4.3gb?
Do you have a super massive save file? :shock: lol

Ted Dog

#92 Post by Ted Dog »

Usually its my windows partitions, database backups, commercial filled video captures from my HDTV tuner card, family videos that desperately need a pass with an editor.. big ziplike files from my various website endeavors, You know priceless crap like that. :lol:

Q5sys

#93 Post by Q5sys »

Ted Dog wrote:Usually its my windows partitions, database backups, commercial filled video captures from my HDTV tuner card, family videos that desperately need a pass with an editor.. big ziplike files from my various website endeavors, You know priceless crap like that. :lol:
ya know... they make these new things called... "portable hard drives". ;)
haha just teasing.

Ted Dog

#94 Post by Ted Dog »

Q5sys wrote:
Ted Dog wrote:Usually its my windows partitions, database backups, commercial filled video captures from my HDTV tuner card, family videos that desperately need a pass with an editor.. big ziplike files from my various website endeavors, You know priceless crap like that. :lol:
ya know... they make these new things called... "portable hard drives". ;)
haha just teasing.
Bluray-R is cheaper per G. Plus you do not need to figure-out what stays and what goes. :lol:

Also after on 1.5T WD portable hard drive decided on its own to continue to suck power but refuses to communicate with the outside world, I've become paranoid. My much older 1.5 Seagate brick (with extra power brick) started to seem off It took 3 days and 48 bluray discs to backup (cost for 50 was $28 ) It's still alive, but everything on it at that time was safe!!!!

Liboicl

#95 Post by Liboicl »

I have a couple of comments.

First of all, as of 6.0.0, I believe, the initrd has contained the base and mosule sfs files. This makes the initrd file huge. I have a 10MB boot partition and I have to edit the initrd, move the files, and modify the init script with every release. This is very tedious. I preferred the previous releases with the files already separate.

Secondly, I upgraded from 6.0.1 to this one and it takes about 40 seconds after boot for my mouse and keyboard to start working. On 6.0.1 they both worked instantaneously. They are both USB devices.
[url=http://tehgroup.org/repo]Additional .pet packages[/url]

Sage

#96 Post by Sage »

safe
Contentious? I'd like to get advice on the comparitive technologies.
Subjectively, I have perfectly preserved floppies from the '80s, kept at room temperature in a dark dust-free enclosure. Slightly younger IDE hard discs in perfect readable order. Expecting at least a century of ditto, excepting solar flares, house conflagration and asteroid hits.
Then there's optical (and magnetic with floppies!) storage - thin metal films onto an organic substrate.
Looks like another battle between metallurgists and organic chemists?! Hieroglyphs on clay might be a better choice?
I know which one I'm backing.

Ted Dog

#97 Post by Ted Dog »

yea safe if kept that way, and still readable decades later. CD's from the 80s still can be played on the bluray drive, impossible to find sana floppy drives, IDE are going the same way.. Few more years and that technology of IDE will disappear. Also optical media do not contain microchips so, bad xray, gamma burst, EMP attack, near miss with an asteroid, Carrington effect, magnetic reversal etc. Even with some damage other data can still be read. :roll:

Now kids with sticky fingers, microwave ovens, burn side up left on the dash of your car in TX summer, strong lasers spell doom for optical.

kirk

#98 Post by kirk »

I've attached a pet that should fix the optical eject problem.
Attachments
eject-fix.pet
Fixes eject for desktop optical drives.
(2.34 KiB) Downloaded 262 times

rcrsn51

#99 Post by rcrsn51 »

kirk wrote:I've attached a pet that should fix the optical eject problem.
Thanks. It works for me.

[Edit] It also works with a USB optical drive. But it needed a reboot before the "eject" command would work properly.

Gobbi

#100 Post by Gobbi »

kirk wrote:I've attached a pet that should fix the optical eject problem.
Thank you kirk ! It works also in my case :D