Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 23 Aug 2014, 11:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to uninstall Firefox from Slacko Puppy 5.5?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
nathanallen347

PostPosted: Thu 25 Apr 2013, 17:00    Post subject:  How to uninstall Firefox from Slacko Puppy 5.5?  

Hello, I installed Puppy Linux on my laptop a few days ago, I have learned ALOT and I mean ALOT about linux since then, but what I'm having problems with is uninstalling Firefox as I am attempting to switch to Opera, okay, when I search for Firefox in Puppy Package Manager it shows three results that state they are already installed. This confuses me because when I click uninstall they don't show up in the uninstall puppy packages menu, can anyone help me?
01micko

PostPosted: Thu 25 Apr 2013, 17:05    Post subject: Re: How to uninstall Firefox from Slacko Puppy 5.5?  

nathanallen347 wrote:
Hello, I installed Puppy Linux on my laptop a few days ago, I have learned ALOT and I mean ALOT about linux since then, but what I'm having problems with is uninstalling Firefox as I am attempting to switch to Opera, okay, when I search for Firefox in Puppy Package Manager it shows three results that state they are already installed. This confuses me because when I click uninstall they don't show up in the uninstall puppy packages menu, can anyone help me?

Anything included in the main filesystem can't truly be removed. That said you can "mask" it by using "Remove builtin packages" (Menu > Setup). Install Opera then you can remaster if you really want to be rid of Firefox.

HTH

Wognath

PostPosted: Sat 05 Oct 2013, 16:34    Post subject: sfs file grows  

Hello 01micko,
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I have a closely related question. I don't use firefox, so I tried what you suggested above. Also removed flash player. I expected the remastered puppy_slacko_5.5.sfs file to be significantly smaller. To my surprise, it is 25Mb larger than the original. Can you explain please????

I also tried editing the sfs file using pizzagood's Edit_SFS. Same result.

P.S. Slacko is awesome. Thanks! I don't know why I waited so long to try it out.
rg66

PostPosted: Sat 05 Oct 2013, 17:14    Post subject:  

@ Wognath

pizzasgood's sfs editor only uses gz compression, sounds like the remaster script is the same. Did it give you a choice of xz or gz?

You can try dir2sfs on the extracted folder, it should give you the choice of compression. Or you can use mksquashfs -comp xz from the cli.

bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 05 Oct 2013, 17:22    Post subject:  

Maybe something here will help. You may have missed a step in the remaster process.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71349

Wognath

PostPosted: Sat 05 Oct 2013, 18:40    Post subject:  

@rg66
I think that was it...using mksquashfs -comp xz I got a sfs about 25Mb smaller than the original (after removing mozilla and libflashplayer--59Mb). dir2sfs did not give me a compression option--older version maybe?
@bigpup
I'll try remastering again (cleaner removal of firefox) following CatDude's suggestions as soon as my processor cools off
Thanks to both
jrb

PostPosted: Sat 05 Oct 2013, 20:16    Post subject: Re: sfs file grows  

Wognath wrote:
Hello 01micko,
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I have a closely related question. I don't use firefox, so I tried what you suggested above. Also removed flash player. I expected the remastered puppy_slacko_5.5.sfs file to be significantly smaller. To my surprise, it is 25Mb larger than the original. Can you explain please????

I also tried editing the sfs file using pizzagood's Edit_SFS. Same result.

P.S. Slacko is awesome. Thanks! I don't know why I waited so long to try it out.

Whats even easier Very Happy is use PHATSlacko-5.5.02-ORIGINAL.iso and get rid of Micko's adrive. You end up with no browser and no office suite so you can add anything you like. Very easy.

Cheers, J
Wognath

PostPosted: Sat 05 Oct 2013, 22:32    Post subject:  

@jrb
Cool! thanks, I'll try that too. By the way, I got a couple of your baby and barebones isos a while ago but had issues with drivers that exceeded my skills Sad .
rg66

PostPosted: Sat 05 Oct 2013, 22:44    Post subject:  

Wognath wrote:
I think that was it...using mksquashfs -comp xz I got a sfs about 25Mb smaller than the original (after removing mozilla and libflashplayer--59Mb). dir2sfs did not give me a compression option--older version maybe?

The dir2sfs I use is from Carolina (I think) and it offers compession type. I've attached it below. It goes in /sbin.
dir2sfs.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  dir2sfs.gz 
Filesize  652 Bytes 
Downloaded  62 Time(s) 

Last edited by rg66 on Sat 05 Oct 2013, 22:46; edited 1 time in total
rg66

PostPosted: Sat 05 Oct 2013, 22:45    Post subject:  

Double post Embarassed
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: