racy-5.3-BABYbarebones

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
keheni67

racy-5.3-BABYbarebones

#1 Post by keheni67 »

Hi All

I just tried racy-5.3-BABYbarebones today and I like it!! I downloaded several apps but the different internet browsers I tried wouldn't open for me. What should I do??

TKS
keheni67

ally

#2 Post by ally »

welcome K

when you say downloaded how do you mean?

I suspect you did not use the PPM (puppy package manager) from the install button menu option on the desktop

look there and install a .pet

if you have used PPM then try running the browser using 'terminal' and report back

good luck

:)

keheni67

#3 Post by keheni67 »

Thank you ally,

I did use the puppy install and all seemed to go well and I did try to use the terminal but it didn't work either.

However I went back and started all over again and got the same results with "firefox". I also tried "link2" text browser and it ran fine in terminal.

When I tried firefox I got an error msg about a missing file in 'bin'. I tried to copy the error msg to let you see it but I couldn't. So now I'm assuming it is a bug of some sort.

Thanks again for your help
K

ally

#4 Post by ally »

no worries

puppy normally 'just works' so it could be a bad download

download the iso file again and run md5sum racy-5.3-BABYbarebones.iso in terminal (navigate to the download folder where the iso is, right click in the whitespace of the folder, then 'window' and then 'terminal here')

se if the output matches that shown below

3c0f41e3172e8d2701ff93c47cf8a5b racy-5.3-BABYbarebones.iso

is there any reason why you have chosen this puppy version? maybe a little too stripped?!

if you still have problems I would try another build (I find slacko 5.3.3-4g has worked on everything I've tried) and see if you have similar issues

keheni67

#5 Post by keheni67 »

ally you're right! Puppy usually just works,

I sense you're figuring me out [where I'm at].

I am an experienced novice. Experienced in that I have played with puppy from near the first release [I can't remember what year that was; around 2001 I think]. My entertainment is distro-hopping. But I ALWAYS keep puppy on one of my partitions and always have a few puppy CDs and USBs around.

I'm a novice in that I know [- nothing!] about programing. I mean, its a thrill when I am able to copy and paste something into a terminal and it works. How bad is that?? But I'm old so please forgive me.

The reason I chose this flavor of puppy is that I was puppy distro hopping and found it; I actually use very few applications and I have been thinking that it would be nice if there was a distro of 100% Puppy [Pure Puppy] if you will. I was thinking of using a stripped down version and adding the applications I use if that makes sense to you.

So now you know everything.
Once again I thank you and really all the fine people who make Puppy for the great work you have done so far and I'm sure will continue to do. I believe there are multitudes of people out there who appreciate and enjoy Puppy just like me.

thank you
K

jrb

Re: racy-5.3-BABYbarebones

#6 Post by jrb »

keheni67 wrote:Hi All

I just tried racy-5.3-BABYbarebones today and I like it!! I downloaded several apps but the different internet browsers I tried wouldn't open for me. What should I do??

TKS
keheni67
I'm posting from Seamonkey 2.17.1 in racy-5.3-BABYbarebones right now in a fresh pfix=ram setup.

Both Seamonkey and Firefox need the dbus packages to work. If you go to the PPM and type "dbus" in the search window you will see dbus-1.2.4.2permissive-w5 and dbus-glib-0.82-w5. If you install them both then Seamonkey and Firefox should work for you.

In general if you try starting programs in a terminal window it will tell you which dependencies are missing. Sadly this doesn't always translate to the name of the package which contains the missing files. In this case it wasn't too bad but sometimes it can require a lot of detective work. Google is your friend (I think :? ).

Good Luck, J

ally

#7 Post by ally »

no worries K

I think I fall into the same category but in addition to hopping I collect all the puppy ISOs I can find too

it's an ilness!

jrb seems to have solved the browser issue!

keheni67

#8 Post by keheni67 »

Thank you ally and J,

I used to have large collection of Puppy ISOs but alas time and shortage of space space have put an end to it. You're right ally; its addictive.

I'm going to try "J's" suggestion and I bet it will work.

Best to you both K