alphaOS [closed]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
efgee

#321 Post by efgee »

Should be the Windows key on your keyboard.
(situated between the ctrl and alt key - on the left side)
EDIT
one minute to late... as always.

efgee

#322 Post by efgee »

BTW this version of alphaOS is working fine on VirtualBox.
The next thing is to test it on real hardware.

Is there a 64 bit version planned?

Keep up the good work.

Atle

#323 Post by Atle »

@simargl

I really think this will be a great success, due to its simplicity.

What i miss in most puppy's, that I found in Fatdog64, is that you set a password...

Honestly... Is it not very wrong to go on the internet as root and with a password that is pre made for you?

I have asked this question before in this thread, but found no answers, even if THE most important issue in today's with all kind of rotten governments and corporations snooping on your private life.

I also cross my fingers for a true 64 bits version, but guess it will be a PAE?

ndrancs

mplayer issue

#324 Post by ndrancs »

simargl wrote:ndrancs, with what you did hwclock does run on boot but at that stage hardware clock and system time are the same, so there is nothing to set and rdate from /root/.start change it later. I set HARDWARECLOCK to localtime, otherwise time in Windows is all wrong. Time in alphaos on boot might be wrong, that is why there is rdate in /root/.start!
I think the temporary solution is to run hwclock daemon manually. because I do not always connected to the internet, so rdate unreliable. I use a 3G modem usb connection. and dial-up with ppp.

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/hwclock start
as the subject say: mplayer issue.

probably not yet there is who experiencing that. when opened video from youtube and facebook who has been in downloaded using mplayer or gnome-mplayer then no sound. but when in fast forward you will hear the sound.

I think there is a mismatch between mplayer2 and ffmpeg. so I recompiled ffmpeg v1.0.6 and mplayer2 as well. and the results mplayer2 can open almost any format that ffmpeg can open it. even aac also could be opened without faad2.

simargl

Re: mplayer issue

#325 Post by simargl »

ndrancs wrote:when opened video from youtube and facebook who has been in downloaded using mplayer or gnome-mplayer then no sound. but when in fast forward you will hear the sound.

I think there is a mismatch between mplayer2 and ffmpeg. so I recompiled ffmpeg v1.0.6 and mplayer2 as well. and the results mplayer2 can open almost any format that ffmpeg can open it. even aac also could be opened without faad2.
You're probably right about version mplayer2/ffmpeg versions mismatch

ffmpeg (1.2) released 2013-03-15
mplayer2 is git version 2012-05-17 tarball from arch mirror ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/other/community/mplayer2/

Newer mplayer2 versions require python3 http://www.mplayer2.org/2012/06/17/python3-requirement/, and I don't want python3 so can't upgrade.

I noticed that problem with videos from youtube in mp4 format, but if you just press right then left on keyboard, sound appears :o

Familyman

Re: [Question] hwclock issue

#326 Post by Familyman »

Thanks for this solution to the clock being perennially reset on the Windows OS after one has booted into AlphaOS from a live USB!

Everything works great now!!! :)

~Familyman~

smil99

#327 Post by smil99 »

Hi simargl,
You can change imlibsetroot & line in /root/.start to spacefm --desktop &, so spacefm will manage desktop ...
Thanks, will try that.
Oh yes, I installed openshot and its working perfectly. I have already hooked blender to it for animation titles creation.
One more application request please :) . If you have the inclination to compile it, please make available Inkscape too and that will complete the graphics/multimedia experience for most people. Am I speaking for the majority here... :lol:

Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

simargl

#328 Post by simargl »

Atle wrote:@simargl

I really think this will be a great success, due to its simplicity.

What i miss in most puppy's, that I found in Fatdog64, is that you set a password...

I also cross my fingers for a true 64 bits version, but guess it will be a PAE?
You can change root password with command passwd http://www.computerhope.com/unix/upasswor.htm, in alphaos that command is not present but in Arch it belongs to this package https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/i686/shadow/, you can install that package with paka.

I don't have 64 bit computer, so making that version is not possible.
If you have the inclination to compile it, please make available Inkscape too and that will complete the graphics/multimedia experience for most people.
Inkscape depends on gtkmm, same as gparted so I can't compile it without gtkmm headers. You can try to install package inkscape with paka and add /opt/gparted/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, see /usr/bin/gparted.
ex. (not tested)

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/gparted/lib && inkscape
Cheers!

rcrsn51

#329 Post by rcrsn51 »

Atle wrote:Honestly... Is it not very wrong to go on the internet as root and with a password that is pre made for you?
Here is something to try:

mkdir /opt/home/alpha
chown alpha:alpha /opt/home/alpha
Then run Firefox from the command line with

su -c firefox alpha
Now you are browsing as the unprivileged user "alpha".

L18L

#330 Post by L18L »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Atle wrote:Honestly... Is it not very wrong to go on the internet as root and with a password that is pre made for you?
Here is something to try:

mkdir /opt/home/alpha
chown alpha:alpha /opt/home/alpha
Then run Firefox from the command line with

su -c firefox alpha
Now you are browsing as the unprivileged user "alpha".
And additionally (as root and as user alpha ....)

passwd
:wink:

pedro

#331 Post by pedro »

Hi
I'm having a strange problem, i can't use the mouse, tryed different models and no sucess, i don't have this problem with any other puppy based project.
Thanks

ndrancs

xorg.conf

#332 Post by ndrancs »

pedro wrote:Hi
I'm having a strange problem, i can't use the mouse, tryed different models and no sucess, i don't have this problem with any other puppy based project.
Thanks
please try my xorg.conf:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 545#698545

and set it up according to your hardware spec. if intel vga change Driver "nvidia" to "intel"

ndrancs

volumeicon issue

#333 Post by ndrancs »

i found that volumeicon applet has some bug for example: if we mute the sound then volumeicon cant unmuted it.

because of that i try to compile retrovol and here my DEF script:

name="retrovol"
version="0.12"
revision="1"
category="multimedia"
description="An sound volume mixer"
source="http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/software/puppy/PETget/$name-$version.tar.gz"
homepage="http://puppylinux.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/puppylinux/retrovol/"
maintainer="simargl <archpup@gmail.com>"
depends="alsa-lib"
makedepends=""

compile() {
  cd $name-$version
  ./configure \
    --prefix=/usr \
    --sysconfdir=/etc
  make
}

package() {
  make DESTDIR=$destdir install
}
dont forget to add retrovol to /root/.start :

retrovol -hide &
Attachments
retrovol-0.12-1.spkg.rar
(38.03 KiB) Downloaded 158 times

simargl

#334 Post by simargl »

Audacity® is free, open source, cross-platform software for recording and editing sounds.

About Audacity

Audacity is a free, easy-to-use and multilingual audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems. You can use Audacity to:

Record live audio.
Convert tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs.
Edit Ogg Vorbis, MP3, WAV or AIFF sound files.
Cut, copy, splice or mix sounds together.
Change the speed or pitch of a recording.

compiled audacity-2.0.3-2.spkg
---------------
@ndrancs, do you want retrovol package added into repository? if yes just change maintainer line and add your mail address, also you can set maintainer for all newly created def scripts and packages in /etc/spkg/main.config

meowcats

#335 Post by meowcats »

Hi simargl, would you please consider making a math package?
Like this one http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51198 but not 3 years outdated :)

ndrancs

retrovol

#336 Post by ndrancs »

simargl wrote:@ndrancs, do you want retrovol package added into repository? if yes just change maintainer line and add your mail address, also you can set maintainer for all newly created def scripts and packages in /etc/spkg/main.config
yes please. here retrovol with corrected email address.
Attachments
retrovol-0.12-1.spkg.rar
(38.03 KiB) Downloaded 134 times

simargl

#337 Post by simargl »

added retrovol and filezilla

Overview
FileZilla Client is a fast and reliable cross-platform FTP, FTPS and SFTP client with lots of useful features and an intuitive graphical user interface.

https://filezilla-project.org/client_features.php

New package: openbox-themes-1.0.2-2.spkg

Familyman

Using the Openbox Theme Manager

#338 Post by Familyman »

It took me a while to configure my desktop after having installed:

New package: openbox-themes-1.0.2-2.spkg

I struggled to locate the theme and could initially find only Default and Gotham available with further possible modification available of the positioning of the dock through the Tint2 panel.

Finally after trying almost everything I hit upon GUI config and Voila! There it was - a whole smorgasbord of options. :lol:

I am currently using BBstyle as my GUI theme since it gives me the slimmest form factor which affords extra screen space on my 7-inch Eee PC 2G Surf.

Hope this helps others who install the openbox themes package.

~Familyman~

ndrancs

encryption of savefile

#339 Post by ndrancs »

Hi simargl,
I plan to add more features to encrypt the savefile like puppy.
any suggestions of where to start.
I think it had to edit the initrd file, right?
to modify some scripts.

Thanks in advance. :)

ndrancs

lsusb issue

#340 Post by ndrancs »

in alphaos v5, after first booting, if we type "lsusb" command in terminal. :: unable to initialize libusb: -99

i found that the solution is just to plugin a usb flashdisk, after booting.
Attachments
alphaos-20130425134321-lsusb-99.png
(171.35 KiB) Downloaded 228 times