Major advance in Bluray multisession effort.

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Ted Dog

Major advance in Bluray multisession effort.

#1 Post by Ted Dog »

Finally looks like I've figured out settings to burn and multisession using the bluray medium and support correct files sizes reporting, avoid the large sized file/directory bug and the DVD size limit rollover corruption issue.
Was able to pull this off with FatDog64v620, but regular puppylinux I haven't been able to untangle multisession code from affecting my efforts. Hopefully BK will see the changes with FatDog64 and know where those differences go. :oops:

gcmartin

#2 Post by gcmartin »

@Ted Dog

This is good news. BD offers great usefulness in Live media use and data preseevation, as well.

zigbert

Re: Major advance in Bluray multisession effort.

#3 Post by zigbert »

Ted Dog wrote:Finally looks like I've figured out settings to burn and multisession using the bluray medium and support correct files sizes reporting, avoid the large sized file/directory bug and the DVD size limit rollover corruption issue.
Was able to pull this off with FatDog64v620, but regular puppylinux I haven't been able to untangle multisession code from affecting my efforts. Hopefully BK will see the changes with FatDog64 and know where those differences go. :oops:
Has this anything to to with pBurn, or is it when running Puppy from BluRay disc?

Sigmund

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Zigbert, I think it's for when multisession Puppy is running from a Blu-Ray disk, but the settings may still be useful in Pburn.

Ted, I'll be glad to test it if installation is pretty much a point-and-click operation. (Or instructions for remastering with it are included in the package.)

Ted Dog

#5 Post by Ted Dog »

Note only Fatdog64v620 growisofs works, The attempt to recreate same-o-same-o with a Bluray bootable latest Wary and its growisofs acted differently.

But a combo Wary & Fatdog64 attempt burned with FD64's growisofs does boot which ever I choose. Since Fatdog and Wary handle multisession using different name-date, they may not conflict with one another, on the same disc... Time/testing will tell. :wink:

@Flash do you have a 64bit computer? if so PM me for the details, need a BR-RE disc this is still in early 'lab' phase.

Ted Dog

#6 Post by Ted Dog »

zigbert wrote:
Ted Dog wrote:Finally looks like I've figured out settings to burn and multisession using the bluray medium and support correct files sizes reporting, avoid the large sized file/directory bug and the DVD size limit rollover corruption issue.
Has this anything to to with pBurn, or is it when running Puppy from BluRay disc?

Sigmund
For you it will be a easy two line setting change, and a modified growisofs, but I will not touch pBurn its a master piece :P I'd hate to show my lack of scripting skill.

I'll PM you the growisofs command line used for a pre-view. But the modified growisofs executable would act/work the same.

Q5sys

#7 Post by Q5sys »

Ted Dog wrote: For you it will be a easy two line setting change, and a modified growisofs, but I will not touch pBurn its a master piece :P I'd hate to show my lack of scripting skill.

I'll PM you the growisofs command line used for a pre-view. But the modified growisofs executable would act/work the same.
Why do it in a PM? Post what you've done to make it work so others can try it with other puppy versions. The more people that can test this... the sooner we will be able to iron our any issues.

I dont think any of the devs here will look down on anyone for lack of scripting skill... any progress is still progress. :)

Ted Dog

#8 Post by Ted Dog »

Q5sys wrote:
Ted Dog wrote: For you it will be a easy two line setting change, and a modified growisofs, but I will not touch pBurn its a master piece :P I'd hate to show my lack of scripting skill.

Why do it in a PM? Post what you've done to make it work so others can try it with other puppy versions. The more people that can test this... the sooner we will be able to iron our any issues.

I dont think any of the devs here will look down on anyone for lack of scripting skill... any progress is still progress. :)
Still in very raw state and they do not pick on me, online... :roll:

They are experts in multisession and/or disc burning methods and have a stake in directing me from posting untested error filled instructions.

Once reproduced and changes understood to puppys world, it will just be a checkbox and transparent to users. Check your PM...

Q5sys

#9 Post by Q5sys »

Ted Dog wrote: Still in very raw state and they do not pick on me, online... :roll:

They are experts in multisession and/or disc burning methods and have a stake in directing me from posting untested error filled instructions.

Once reproduced and changes understood to puppys world, it will just be a checkbox and transparent to users. Check your PM...

Open Source Software vs Open Source Development. They are not the same thing.
Open Source development is all about transparency through the entire development process. Its not just about opening the source after its created. More eyes during the development stage make a better product. If you're worried about posting potentially dangerous code... then just make a big disclaimer like...

THIS CODE IS ALPHA (or beta) USING IT MAY DAMAGE YOUR SYSTEM

I understand not wanting to put out information which may be incorrect... but OSS development works by everyone being able to see the code.
Alot of development here on things has been done incrementally with people pitching in on various versions of the code. The speeding up snapmerge thread pops into mind.

If the code remains a secret until someone declares it 'stable' then potential input that other people may have had... will be not be shared.

But if you want to keep it all secret until its 'done', that's your choice.
Either way you go, I wish you the best; and look forward to when its done.

Ted Dog

#10 Post by Ted Dog »

OK Q here is the secret.......

<1> use 224 MB FatDog64v620. Nothing else works
<2> use the suggestion found here....
<3> ????
<4> Make own iso file with those setting
<5> Burn iso with growisofs compiled with soft warnings
<6> rewrite the multisession burning script making same changes as #2
<7> rewrite error handling in multisession burn script to not give it an option to fail, force it to continue at all points.

only tested on one burner/computer.

:twisted:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

Ted, would you edit that last post to include a link to where the FatDog64v620 iso can be found? :)

I have a 64-bit computer with 4 GB of RAM and a Blu-Ray burner but no hard disk drive. I also have several Kodak BD-RE disks. About a year ago I tried a version of Fatdog64 and it worked fine. I run Puppy from a multisession DVD, so experimenting with Blu-Pup can't cause me any problems.

Ted Dog

#12 Post by Ted Dog »

Flash wrote:Ted, would you edit that last post to include a link to where the FatDog64v620 iso can be found? :)

I have a 64-bit computer with 4 GB of RAM and a Blu-Ray burner but no hard disk drive. I also have several Kodak BD-RE disks. About a year ago I tried a version of Fatdog64 and it worked fine. I run Puppy from a multisession DVD, so experimenting with Blu-Pup can't cause me any problems.

Start page of the link above has the download, and details.

step #3 was an effort to remaster the version above, was confused when I did that but used the make sfs outside of inird.

Ted Dog

#13 Post by Ted Dog »

Just lost power and my blu-ray multisession computer ...... on laptop (and windoews :x )

Ted Dog

#14 Post by Ted Dog »

No harddrive remake method.

With the 4Gs RAM (like mine) you will be able to download and burn fatdog64v620 on a BD-RE from whatever version you are currently using.

The standard version of FD64 is bootable on bluray due to the huge initrd method it uses. Choose standard boot (NOT multisession label)

We will be remastering and re-burning changes, if you selected multisession at boot it will be a mismatch on iso setting and that does not work with changes needed.

OK go ahead and make whatever changes you like ( I added ace solitaire game pet from smokeys 64bit repo and Nvidia drivers from fatdog64 repo )

this will be posted in parts bad storm power cuts in/out

Ted Dog

#15 Post by Ted Dog »

mount bluray used to boot

select [start] Control Panel

Right side tab Utiliities

Fatdog remaster live-cd {top row three over}

This is like my sloppy remaster method of snapshotting running system DO NOT START NEW PRGS, Just let everything settle

<yes>
select bluray mount point

skip EFI <NEXT>

leave everything checked <NEXT>

Be-sure to have /tmp selected (there is plenty of room)

Next step is important for boot speed

select {small initrd}
[next][next]<OK>

wait for it ... wait for it ... aren't you glad you run from RAM this is so much slower of USB Flash drive like my first attempt.

OK NOW ITS OK to start a new game of solitaire.

POPUP for changes to iso&Grub boot loader are going to be posted later. just hit <OK>

create a directory in /tmp it should be in-front of you now

Ted Dog

#16 Post by Ted Dog »

Click on the remaster.iso

copy all files into the directory you just created.

unmount bluray drive,

Here is the on the fly burn command string, started in a terminal with current directory you moved the remastered files into.

Code: Select all

growisofs -use-the-force-luke=notray  -Z /dev/sr0  -f -iso-level 3 -D -R  -V \"BluFatDog620\" -p root -publisher \"Ted_Dog\"  -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table ./
thats one line incase it wraps around

Ted Dog

#17 Post by Ted Dog »

Hold off on the growisofs we need to replace isolinux.cfg with this:

Code: Select all

#display help/boot.msg
default fatdog-multi
prompt 1
timeout 20

#F1 help/boot.msg
F1 help/help.msg help/blank.png
F2 help/savefile.msg help/blank.png
F3 help/startnet.msg help/blank.png
F4 help/basesfs.msg help/blank.png
F5 help/savedir.msg help/blank.png

ui vesamenu.c32
menu resolution 800 600
menu title BluFatdog64 620 Live
menu background fatdog.png
menu tabmsg Press Tab to edit entry, F1 for help, Esc for boot prompt
menu color border 37;40  #80ffffff #00000000 std
menu color sel 7;37;40 #80ffffff #20ff8000 all
menu margin 1
menu rows 20
menu tabmsgrow 26
menu cmdlinerow -2
menu passwordrow 19
menu timeoutrow 28
menu helpmsgrow 30

label fatdog-multi
linux vmlinuz
initrd initrd
append savefile=direct:multi:sr0 base2ram=yes waitdev=0
menu label Fatdog64 with multisession support
text help
Start Fatdog with multisession support for the first optical disc drive.
Upon startup, previous sessions (if any) will be loaded from the disc.
After shutdown, changes will be saved as a new session to the disc.
You should use BD-RE as the disc media.
endtext

label puppy
linux pvmlinuz
append initrd=pinitrd.gz pmedia=cd
menu label Racy 5.3.90 32bit
text help
Start Bluray aware version of Racy 
endtext

label fatdog
linux vmlinuz
initrd initrd
append base2ram=yes waitdev=1
menu label Fatdog64 
text help
Start Fatdog normally.
endtext

label fatdog-lvm
linux vmlinuz
initrd initrd
append withlvm withmdadm
menu label Fatdog64 with LVM and mdadm support
text help
Start Fatdog with LVM and mdadm (Linux software RAID) support. 
Enables loading savefile from LVM and mdadm partitions.
endtext

label fatdog-nosave
linux vmlinuz
initrd initrd
append savefile=none
menu label Fatdog64 without savefile
text help
Start Fatdog without using a savefile.
endtext

label fatdog-nox
linux vmlinuz
initrd initrd
append pfix=nox
menu label Fatdog64 without graphical desktop
text help
Start Fatdog in command-line mode (Linux console). 
Graphical desktop later can be started by typing "xwin".
endtext

menu separator

label fatdog-noradeon
linux vmlinuz
initrd initrd
append blacklist=radeon
menu label For problematic Radeon cards - disable radeon driver
text help
Start Fatdog without loading the radeon driver.
endtext

label fatdog-nonouveau
linux vmlinuz
initrd initrd
append blacklist=nouveau
menu label For problematic Nvidia cards - disable nouveau driver
text help
Start Fatdog without loading the nouveau driver.
endtext

label fatdog-nokms
linux vmlinuz
initrd initrd
append nomodeset pfix=xorgwizard savefile=none
menu label For machines with severe video problems
text help
Start Fatdog without savefile, without KMS, and launch xorgwizard 
to choose video resolutions before starting graphical desktop.
endtext

Ted Dog

#18 Post by Ted Dog »

OK class let me know if this works for you..

The save session code is always going to fail until we make the changes coming later.

Please reply once you successfully booted with the remake.

Ted Dog

#19 Post by Ted Dog »

The changes made for Bluray, are 100% compatible with DVD you just will not see files larger than 4G or hit the other boundary that kept Bluray from sessions beyond DVD size.

The disc may not be readable on older XP windows, but please check and let me know what happens with your Window if you dual boot and tried this. I have no way to check...

jamesbond

#20 Post by jamesbond »

Ted Dog, does it still work if you change iso-level to 4 instead of 3?
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]