"Testing" Sensei & Sensei64

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Q5sys

#101 Post by Q5sys »

stifiling wrote:
Q5sys wrote:
stifiling wrote: what if you were to just use the main.sfs....deleting the desk and apps sfs's....and trying setting it up that way? using pacman to install xorg-server...xf86-video-nouveau....and xorg-twm, xterm.....and seeing if you can get X to start...
I was using the FULL ISO... I'll try the BASE ISO and go from there.
the barebones iso, has the exact same sensei64-001.sfs. if u have the full...the barebones isn't needed.
Ok I'm confused... the base doesnt have the apps and desk SFS packages, right?
You said to not use them... so why wouldnt i use the base ISO as my start point?

Or did you add some functionality that I missed that allows me to choose what SFS load at boot? (as tazoc has done with LHP)

stifiling

#102 Post by stifiling »

Q5sys wrote:
stifiling wrote:
Q5sys wrote: I was using the FULL ISO... I'll try the BASE ISO and go from there.
the barebones iso, has the exact same sensei64-001.sfs. if u have the full...the barebones isn't needed.
Ok I'm confused... the base doesnt have the apps and desk SFS packages, right?
You said to not use them... so why wouldnt i use the base ISO as my start point?

Or did you add some functionality that I missed that allows me to choose what SFS load at boot? (as tazoc has done with LHP)
it's like this....with the full iso, it has senapps and sendesk present and in range so it automatically loads them.....deleting those two files, means they won't load....which gives u the barebones installations....which is what the baresones.iso has on it. only:

vmlinuz/initrd/sensei64.sfs = barebones iso
vmlinux/initrd/sensei64.sfs senapps.sfs sendesk-xfce.sfs = full iso

they're both the exact same sensei64.sfs...and both alone boots to a tty prompt.

stifiling

#103 Post by stifiling »

if u're booting directly from iso, then yes...you would need the barebones.iso. but if u've done a frugal install...then you won't need the barebones.iso.

i wanted a barebones solution to be included in the system.

stifiling

#104 Post by stifiling »

i removed nv from, and added nouveau to Sensei64. 'hopefully' that works out better for users with nvidia cards...

James C

#105 Post by James C »

At least on my Nvidia GeForce 7025 /nForce 630a chips we have success. :) The latest version booted directly to the correct 1366x768 resolution with a working internet connection.

Code: Select all

Current Operating System: Linux sensei64 3.8.5 #1 SMP Sat Apr 27 00:53:24 EDT 2013 x86_64

NOUVEAU(0): Chipset: "NVIDIA NV4c"
Late now but I'll do an install sometime the next day or two. Good job.

James C

#106 Post by James C »

I don't believe there should be any problems with removing the "nv" driver....most 64 bit hardware should be new enough to have relatively new video cards.Nouveau now works pretty well on most Nvidia cards.

NOUVEAU driver for NVIDIA chipset families :
 	RIVA TNT        (NV04)
 	RIVA TNT2       (NV05)
 	GeForce 256     (NV10)
 	GeForce 2       (NV11, NV15)
 	GeForce 4MX     (NV17, NV18)
 	GeForce 3       (NV20)
 	GeForce 4Ti     (NV25, NV28)
 	GeForce FX      (NV3x)
 	GeForce 6       (NV4x)
 	GeForce 7       (G7x)
 	GeForce 8       (G8x)
 	GeForce GTX 200 (NVA0)
 	GeForce GTX 400 (NVC0)

cinclus_cinclus

German Umlauts locale-gen missing

#107 Post by cinclus_cinclus »

1. Using german key-mapping I get only a '?' for 'ä', 'ö' or 'ü' in the terminal emulator, For 'ß' I get 'ss'.

2. There is no locale-gen command.

cinclus_cinclus

sfs Modules Howto?

#108 Post by cinclus_cinclus »

I would like to create sfs-modules for large packages like Wine.

How to do that?

How to make sure that the modules are properly initialized?
Archpup had instructions and commands(?) for that purpose
I would have to reinstall Archpup for looking up how that worked.
I remember that Calimero has 'mkaddon' in his CTKarch for the same purpose.
Any hints highly appreciated.

stifiling

#109 Post by stifiling »

@James C

this is GREAT news. thanks for the frequent downloads and tests. installing the nouveau driver though made the system grow a pretty decent amount. it's because nouveau-dri package is a dependency of xf86-video-nouveau. i'm wondering if nouveau-dri was to be removed, if X will still start. i'd also like to know if you have a similar issue to meowcats using the radeon driver on the ati card....rather than vesa. he mentioned that it made his ram sky-rocket up to abt a gig of usage. when u have a free moment James C....could you please install on the ati machine:

pacman -S xf86-video-ati
and change line 3 in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file....from vesa to radeon.....and see if X will start....

@cinclus_cinclus

I still have to repair the dev.sfs file for the 32-bit Senseis...that u requested earlier. I didn't know locale-gen was missing...thanks for pointing that out. I've taken all the locale files out of the system...because they were taking up a lot of space. I'll put the locale files in a locale.sfs....and upload it. I don't know much about that end of using GNU/Linux. so i have to see too if i can get the system to change from english to german or any other language.

archpup had simargl's makesfs script...I'll go ahead and put it in.

cinclus_cinclus

#110 Post by cinclus_cinclus »

There is an archlocale_132.sfs from Archpup. Couldn't I just use that?
... and makesfs from archpup as well?

By the way I did download 'dev-senfull_001.sfs' already. Doesn't that work?

mikeslr

Initial Review

#111 Post by mikeslr »

Hi stifiling,

Best of luck on this project. I've looked forward to "an" Archpup for some time and was especially pleased to find that you're developing a 64-bit version. So please accept the following as an attempt at constructive criticism.
As yet no one has built an Archpup which will allow me to get to first base: that is, to access the internet. My system uses a RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI which, so far, no Archpup has recognized. Of course, without internet access pacman isn't particularly useful. I am aware that it is possible, while running a different OS, to download the driver, if it exists, from the Archlinux repository having researched a similar problem while trying to run Ubuntu 10 or 11. I solved it by simply finding an operating system which didn't require me to jump thru hoops just to try it out. I'm certain many potential users will take the same approach. So I recommend, regardless of any desire to create a "lean and mean" distro, that it be fully stocked with drivers.
Not being able to access the internet also means that the great instructions for getting started that you were thoughtful enough to provide in your initial posts are unavailable to those who need them the most. Might I suggest that be included in the ISO, as a file you can open with geany or such other application already in the ISO.
On thing you need not be concerned about is the graphics driver for ATI Radeon 3100. Sensei booted to the desired 1600 x 900 OOTB.

Thanks for initiating this project.

mikesLr

stifiling

#112 Post by stifiling »

cinclus_cinclus wrote:There is an archlocale_132.sfs from Archpup. Couldn't I just use that?
... and makesfs from archpup as well?

By the way I did download 'dev-senfull_001.sfs' already. Doesn't that work?
i don't think the archlocale_132.sfs will work 100% correctly.

makesfs script should work fine....try it out if u will...and let us know if it does.

the dev-senfull.sfs....does work mostly...but i do know of a mistake in it. so for it to be perfect...i need to reupload it.
mikeslr wrote:My system uses a RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI which, so far, no Archpup has recognized.
i would absolutely like to get it working...and include the working solution in the barebones.sfs.

do you know which module that pci card usually uses? i think it might be rt61pci. could you try:

iwconfig
and see if you see wlan0 or eth1. if not could you try:

modprobe rt61pci
iwconfig
and then see if you see wlan0 or eth1. if not, or if so, but it won't connect....can you run:

dmesg
and see if there's any mention of firmware...or any other oddity that might stand out and appear as though it may be the reason rt61pci isn't handling your wireless device. maybe rt61pci isn't even the right module...

James C

#113 Post by James C »

Did a frugal install, booted to a correct 1440x900 desktop and then the computer froze leading to a hard poweroff. Adding nouveau.noaccel=1 to the kernel line solved the problem though.Had to do the same on Raring and PHATSlacko as well.

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2)
Anyway...appears to be working well now.

sszindian

Savefile

#114 Post by sszindian »

Just a simple question but...

How do you increase the size of a savefile after it's initially established?

'Thanks'

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

James C

#115 Post by James C »

Started installing a few packages with Pacman....... everything looking good so far.
Attachments
Sensei64.jpg
(43.4 KiB) Downloaded 298 times

stifiling

#116 Post by stifiling »

i made most of the suggested changes and also added the locale.sfs for Sensei.

the locale solution in Sensei is the same as the devx. because i plan to make more desktops for the system, i've made the desktop specific locale files installable via:

pacman -S locale-senxfce
here's locale-senxfce-001-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz if you'd rather not redownload the full iso again at this moment. the way to install a local package using pacman is:

pacman -U /path/to/locale-senxfce-001-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz

meowcats

#117 Post by meowcats »

trying to boot 64bit:
loads kernel then cannot find sensei64_001.sfs
:(

stifiling

#118 Post by stifiling »

meowcats wrote:trying to boot 64bit:
loads kernel then cannot find sensei64_001.sfs
:(
does is load senapps and sendesk?

are you using psubdir in your kernel commands? if so...delete psubdir...

meowcats

#119 Post by meowcats »

I am using syslinux, all files are in root directory. rename to syslinux.bin and syslinux.cfg. syslinux.cfg:

default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz
does not find senapps and sendesk, it says:
searching for sensei files... cannot find sensei64_001.sfs, dump to initial ram disk.

stifiling

#120 Post by stifiling »

meowcats wrote:I am using syslinux, all files are in root directory. rename to syslinux.bin and syslinux.cfg. syslinux.cfg:

default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz
does not find senapps and sendesk, it says:
searching for sensei files... cannot find sensei64_001.sfs, dump to initial ram disk.
i've only tested it from iso and with grub. don't see why that would matter...but it's the only difference i'm seeing here.