Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Dec 2014, 02:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Wary slow to boot from CD
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
nic007

PostPosted: Wed 01 May 2013, 13:19    Post_subject:  Wary slow to boot from CD
Sub_title: Wary booting from CD

My Wary 539 live-cd boots very slowly on my old pentium4 with 1GB RAM and HDD formated in ntfs. I even copied the critical files to the HDD but no improvement. It takes very long at the copy to ram screen and directly thereafter. Any ideas?
tytower

PostPosted: Wed 01 May 2013, 17:56    Post_subject:  

Install or save your savefile to your internal harddisk perhaps. It is slower to read from a USB .

If this is what you have done then perhaps a disk check on bootup to ensure the file is not corrupt

What do you call "a long time"
Mine is up and ready in 30 seconds with much the same gear as you
The copy to RAM is done in under 2 seconds

Edited_time_total
nic007

PostPosted: Wed 01 May 2013, 22:24    Post_subject:  

tytower wrote:
Install or save your savefile to your internal harddisk perhaps. It is slower to read from a USB .

If this is what you have done then perhaps a disk check on bootup to ensure the file is not corrupt

What do you call "a long time"
Mine is up and ready in 30 seconds with much the same gear as you

All critical files copied to and the save file is on HDD. I'm talking 2 minutes plus here. Very long. Could it be because of the ntfs partition that the search for puppy files takes so long? The HDD is not that large 160Gb. The save file is quite large, 480Mb, perhaps also trying to copy this into RAM at startup?
Dewbie

PostPosted: Wed 01 May 2013, 23:39    Post_subject:  

Same issue here...

Compaq Deskpro EN (P2-350 / 384M RAM / 6.4G HDD)
Dell Dimension 2400 (P4-2.2 / 1.5G RAM / 40G HDD)

Wary boots quickly in the P2 and slowly in the P4.
I always wondered why; it seems to defy logic. Confused

nic007 wrote:
Quote:
Could it be because of the ntfs partition that the search for puppy files takes so long?

In my case, it's also painfully slow in pfix=ram, which doesn't involve the HDD.
tytower

PostPosted: Thu 02 May 2013, 01:15    Post_subject:  

nic007 wrote:
All critical files copied to and the save file is on HDD. I'm talking 2 minutes plus here. Very long. Could it be because of the ntfs partition that the search for puppy files takes so long? The HDD is not that large 160Gb. The save file is quite large, 480Mb, perhaps also trying to copy this into RAM at startup?

I think there is a way to make puppy use a particular save file and not look through your hard drive , which is what I would consider large. Read up on the bootup sequence and perhaps start using a USB stick to boot to try that with your savefile on that.

You know I would ensure my savefile is safe .rename it , then boot from cd ,instal to the usb and save to the usb assuming it is a fat32 and see what ,if any , difference that makes.

Others more knowledgeable than I will hopefully come in and assist further

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum