"Testing" Sensei & Sensei64

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
meowcats

#121 Post by meowcats »

Ok, but the 32bit PAE boots just fine with the same syslinux.cfg...

I actually tried booting the 64bit iso with grub4dos just now, and i got the same error message.

Loading the 64bit iso in virtualbox works though...

stifiling

#122 Post by stifiling »

meowcats wrote:Ok, but the 32bit PAE boots just fine with the same syslinux.cfg...

I actually tried booting the 64bit iso with grub4dos just now, and i got the same error message.

Loading the 64bit iso in virtualbox works though...
James C was saying something similar a lil earlier, he ended up getting the new kernel and the old kernel to work though. wonder what the issue was. but here's a screenshot of Sensei64 loading in virtualbox, on my Sensei64 host installation

here's how my grub menu entry looks

title Sensei 64
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/Sensei64/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
initrd /boot/Sensei64/initrd.gz

and i have all the sfs files in /mnt/sda1/Sensei64
initrd.gz and vmlinuz is in /mnt/sda1/boot/Sensei64
Attachments
Sensei64VB.png
(14.3 KiB) Downloaded 491 times

meowcats

#123 Post by meowcats »

Ok I went and installed grub2, and put kernel in /boot/Sensei64, and sfs in /Sensei64.

/boot/grub/grub.cfg looks like

Code: Select all

menuentry "Sensei 64" {
set root=(hd0,1) 
linux /boot/Sensei64/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 
initrd /boot/Sensei64/initrd.gz 
}
Boots and loads kernel, but still same error about not finding sensei64_001.sfs

stifiling

#124 Post by stifiling »

meowcats,

I'm going to try it with grub2 now, and see how it works out for me. but I'd like for u to keep trying to get it working...and try the xf86-video-ati just like how you did on the non-pae one. and see if you're still getting that high ram use...

meowcats

#125 Post by meowcats »

The high usage issue, can be replicated with stock.

Just open the task manager and check option "count cache as used". Free -m shows this number by default. Since its just cache, I wonder if its normal behavior then?
also md5:

57207f5ad0a062b8e87dc64c77b09293  senapps64_001.sfs
82c8237cb92547017b09a0df10276f62  sendesk64-xfce_001.sfs
81ce9dd50c7a32b05ce4593b7b0283d0  sensei64_001.sfs

stifiling

#126 Post by stifiling »

meowcats...

i'm wondering if there's a driver not loading your drive. are the sfs files on an internal HD or on a usb drive?

meowcats

#127 Post by meowcats »

Everything is on a USB flash drive. Strange because the x86 version loads just fine.

stifiling

#128 Post by stifiling »

meowcats wrote:Everything is on a USB flash drive. Strange because the x86 version loads just fine.
i see the problem. it's in the initrd.gz...the usb modules aren't loading so therefore...the sfs's on the usb aren't loading. i'm working on it now.

stifiling

#129 Post by stifiling »

meowcats,

can you see if this initrd.gz file works correctly to boot from usb...

if it loads correctly...could u test it w/a save file and see if it kernel panics....

meowcats

#130 Post by meowcats »

Same error with that initrd.gz

It does seem to be the drivers not loading though, normally when searching for sfs files there are yellow dots indicating it is searching.

no such dots here. 3 white dots, then cannot find sfs.

stifiling

#131 Post by stifiling »

r u certain u're using that newer initrd.gz? can you check it to make sure the:

md5sum = 467776b53fe59ffab64c0f44e8d80bb8

it's working fine usb booting on my machine. it's loading the usb drivers correctly. I just fixed the kernel panic when using a save file too.

if it's not loading with that initrd.gz...then it's taking more than just ehci_hcd...or uhci_hcd to read your usb drive. finding out exactly which modules it takes to modprobe...to get your usb drive reading is not an easy task using the only method that i know of using. If I had that machine, and i was 'determined' to get it working with Sensei64...the procedure i would use would be:

Seeing if it usb boots with FatDog64-521, if so
rmmod ehci_hcd
rmmod uhci_hcd
rmmod ehci_pci
and so on....

until i got the usb drive to turn off. after identifying which module turns it on and off...that should be enough information to put in the init script...to get it to load the usb drive.

if it doesn't usb boot w/FatDog64-521....then that would lead to another massive mission of finding exactly which module needs to be loaded. i would next try a puppy other than FatDog64-521, that it does work on, to see if i can figure it out...and either compiling that module or having to recompile the kernel.

I only have these two computers with similar hardware, so presently unable to test it on a wide range of machines. as i come across different ones, and try usb booting Sensei64 on different ones....i may come across one that needs more than ehci_hcd, uhci_hcd, and ehci_pci...to be able to access the usb flash drive. I should then be able to pinpoint the issue and hopefully be able to resolve it.

meowcats

#132 Post by meowcats »

Yes the md5 match.

I have successfully managed to boot fatdog-521, no problems, same grub entry.

rmmod ehci_hcd successfully turns off my flash drive.
rmmod uhci_hcd seems to turn off my keyboard/mouse...

[edit]
in your initrd script I see

modprobe usb-common
modprobe ehci-hcd
modprobe ehci-pci
dashes instead of underscore. could this be why?

stifiling

#133 Post by stifiling »

no...that should be right, even with the dashes. try this...after loading and getting the sfs not found...from that prompt, type in

modprobe ehci_hcd...and see if u get an error.

does your flash drive have a light indicator of some sort to let u know that it's on....like how the sandisk flash drives are?

meowcats

#134 Post by meowcats »

problem is, my keyboard and mouse are not working at ramdisk prompt either :( I would have to find an old OS/2 mouse/keyboard.

stifiling

#135 Post by stifiling »

meowcats wrote:problem is, my keyboard and mouse are not working at ramdisk prompt either :( I would have to find an old OS/2 mouse/keyboard.
yea...it absolutely sounds like ehci/uhci_hcd aren't loading...that's why i'd like to see what modprobe says. hopefully u can give it a try with an old school keyboard?

meowcats

#136 Post by meowcats »

Ok so new information: Apparently my USB keyboard/mouse do work with this newer initrd.

lsmod shows that ehci_hcd is already loaded on boot, and modprobe ehci_hcd shows no errors.

I have also tried it with a 2nd generic usb thumb drive, same issues.

stifiling

#137 Post by stifiling »

although neither initrd.gz is finding the sfs file...the keyboard and mouse works with the older initrd?

meowcats

#138 Post by meowcats »

Mouse/keyboard only work with the newer initrd you supplied.

With the old, mouse/keyboard lights are off; can not type anything at prompt

With the new, mouse/keyboard lights are on; able to type things!

stifiling

#139 Post by stifiling »

meowcats wrote:Mouse/keyboard only work with the newer initrd you supplied.

With the old, mouse/keyboard lights are off; can not type anything at prompt

With the new, mouse/keyboard lights are on; able to type things!
and the sfs files are placed on the flash drive...but still aren't being found...?

there's no indicator light on either flash drive that shows rather it's on or not?

meowcats

#140 Post by meowcats »

Sensei files are in /Sensei64/

The light on the drive only turns on when there is activity, it blinks when kernel and initrd load, but then stop after that.

I can even mount the flash drive from the ramdisk prompt too, and am able to access files.