Fail to boot just started to happen.

Using applications, configuring, problems
Hetejas

Fail to boot just started to happen.

#1 Post by Hetejas »

I had turned it off and came back and now I get an error when booting.
I normally take option 1 when I boot and I can't remember what it said, but when I take option 2 which says something about booting in ram, it boots but seems to have lost all the setup info.

When it fails it says
Starting x specs in /etc/x11/org.conf, startup apps /root/.xinitrc...
Exited from X. Type "xwin [fvwm95|jwm]" to restart x ([ ] mean optional
To shutdown...to reboot....
If x failed to start, type "xorgwizard" to setup x

#

I tried running xorg wizard but it did no good

What to do ?

Thanks

Hetejas

#2 Post by Hetejas »

Well, rather than try and solve this, I went to a new install of Precise and it is troublesome, so I will take my headaches to a different forum.
You would think it would be fairly easy. Brand new install, no need to retain other operating systems.
But getting GRUB right is the problem,,,I think.
Bye for now and thanks

ally

#3 Post by ally »

hey hetajas

that's grumpy

it would help if you provide details about your machine and also what version of puppy you are using

if you are booting with pfix=ram then it will not load your savefile, a bit like a safe mode, that's why your settings are gone

if it booted ok then your savefile is likely to be corrupt

when you sort out your next install make a copy of the savfile, just rename the last 3 characters (ie from .2fs to .xxx - or similar), then when something goes wrong like unexpected power-off you boot with pfix=ram and rename the backup and you're away

good luck

:)

** edit, I get much better results using grub4dos as the boot loader, very simple (have over 12 on one machine without incident) **

Hetejas

#4 Post by Hetejas »

ally wrote:hey hetajas

that's grumpy

it would help if you provide details about your machine and also what version of puppy you are using

if you are booting with pfix=ram then it will not load your savefile, a bit like a safe mode, that's why your settings are gone

if it booted ok then your savefile is likely to be corrupt

when you sort out your next install make a copy of the savfile, just rename the last 3 characters (ie from .2fs to .xxx - or similar), then when something goes wrong like unexpected power-off you boot with pfix=ram and rename the backup and you're away

good luck

** edit, I get much better results using grub4dos as the boot loader, very simple (have over 12 on one machine without incident) **
Thank you ally, and I apologize if I sounded grumpy.
Part of the reason for the new install to Precise was that I had read that the media center software, XBMC, was available via PPM, and that is going to be what this PC is dedicated to doing.
Precise is running just fine now so I will make a copy of the sav file as you suggested. I will try to install XBMC tomorrow.

One thing that has me scratching my head is the small icon in the bottom bar that supposedly shows how full-up my personal-storage-space, is. Then when I did as recommended and tried to increase it, I get an error message that says I don't have any personal-storage established. Huh ?

Ah well, onward for more reading of the +/- of frugal vs full.

ally

#5 Post by ally »

I've had a similar issue with the savefile filling up that halts the system

try clearing the browser cache to see if that releases enough to start the increase process, it is 'rebuilt' on reboot

puppy is designed to run as frugal so I would recommend that, I create a small partition just for puppy, say a few gigs, the balance as a 'data' partition

you can safely store all your media in the second partition and if you decide to upgrade puppy later (or have several to choose from) it's easy to do without affecting your media files

when you have the system set up as you like make the savefile copy and repeat the process if you add/remove apps

this may also be of interest:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64149