Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Oct 2014, 05:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Squeezed Arm Puppy for Raspberry Pi, alpha4
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 15 of 17 [246 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 Next
kooliepup

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan 2013, 02:31    Post subject: Pi Manual
Subject description: full of good stuff

http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/Raspberry_Pi_Education_Manual.pdf
Hans

PostPosted: Wed 20 Mar 2013, 15:38    Post subject: Re: wifi
Subject description: edimax dongle

woodenshoe wrote:
My wifi dongle worked in Raspberrian so I did a lsmod from the command line to figure out which kernel module it was using.

Although it wasn't listed in Puppy's network module list I could load it by clicking on the "More" tab and then on the "Specify" button, but it still couldn't find any new interface.

I thought I saw some kind of error message during boot up before X came up so I exited X ( you could ctrl+alt+F1 to see the boot messages and ctrl+alt+F4 to go back to X ) and that was how I found out that the kernel module for my wifi dongle couldn't find one of its files in the /lib/firmware directory.

I copied everything from Raspberrian's /lib/firmware directory to Puppy's /lib/firmware, probably overkill, and then my wifi worked.

Yeah, good suggestion, I will give this a go. But if I run in to trouble I might decide to compile a new driver. Wat kernel source sfs can I use? It is not listed in the kernel source repo.

Greetings,
Hans
woodenshoe

PostPosted: Wed 20 Mar 2013, 22:57    Post subject: Kernel Source  

I copied the kernel from Raspbian, I didn't compile it but I had come across a page describing how to do it.

http://elinux.org/Rpi_kernel_compilation

I don't know if that's the same source as was used for Puppy but I think it should work because copying the kernel worked.

EDIT:
It's Raspbian not Raspberrian Embarassed

Last edited by woodenshoe on Thu 01 Aug 2013, 21:53; edited 1 time in total
Hans

PostPosted: Thu 21 Mar 2013, 14:41    Post subject: raspberrian kernel in puppy  

You copied the entire kernel? So not only the firmware in /lib/firmware. I can try that too but I would like to stick with the original 3.1.6-cutdown kernel from Barry.
Did he not use T2 source? I think I read something like that but can't remember where.
Thanks for the tips woodenshoe , I will give it a go, and if I can get my hands on the original kernel source from Barry I will try that too and see what happens.

Anyone out there knows where I can download the kernel source sfs for the squeezed arm puppy that Barry used? I would like to stick to the original source if possible.
dancytron

PostPosted: Thu 21 Mar 2013, 15:54    Post subject:  

The kernel that Barry used way back when is very obsolete from when they were first getting their feet on the ground. It has lots of problems that have been fixed along the way.

If you don't want to deal with the kernel yourself, you can use Berryboot, which will install Puppy along with several other distributions in a multiboot kind of situation sharing a fairly recent, good, kernel.
Hans

PostPosted: Fri 22 Mar 2013, 06:38    Post subject: kernel source sap  

Aha, so that's why. I'll try newer kernel source then. Nice option though, the Berryboot multi boot.

thanks!
dancytron

PostPosted: Fri 22 Mar 2013, 10:08    Post subject:  

The berryboot thing is interesting and seems to work really well.

I am not 100% on how it works, but it uses squashfs files and layers like puppy. One layer a read only file system for the OS and then the changes (stuff that would go in the save file in a puppy frugal install) is just in a folder and layered on top of it.
MU

PostPosted: Sat 23 Mar 2013, 21:27    Post subject:  

I made a Puppybrowser pet for Puppy Sap4:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=694248#694248

Cheers, Mark

L18L

PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2013, 15:03    Post subject:  

MU wrote:
I made a Puppybrowser pet for Puppy Sap4:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=694248#694248

Cheers, Mark

Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )

Where is the bug Wink
hellokitty

PostPosted: Sat 06 Apr 2013, 07:12    Post subject:  

Getflash does not work, the package manager has no flash under the arm6 section and adobe flash in the normal debian section does not want to install. I don't see any external flash file anywhere for Puppi.

Can somebody explain to me as if I was 90 years old how to install flash for chromium?.
Sylvander

PostPosted: Fri 03 May 2013, 11:34    Post subject:  

First attempts with R-Pi.
1. See this post in my thread on this topic.

2. Tried to boot "Puppy Raspberry Pi alpha 4" [on a 16GB card], and got NOTHING! Sad

3. Wheezy [on a separate 16GB card] boots OK on the same hardware setup, but I think I've corrupted it by a previous improper power-off when I couldn't see the password characters going up on screen as I typed them.
Duh! Embarassed
I didn't know at that time that they are NEVER displayed, and that is by design.
laszlok53

PostPosted: Fri 03 May 2013, 15:15    Post subject:  

Sylvander wrote:
First attempts with R-Pi.
1. See this post in my thread on this topic.

2. Tried to boot "Puppy Raspberry Pi alpha 4" [on a 16GB card], and got NOTHING! Sad

3. Wheezy [on a separate 16GB card] boots OK on the same hardware setup, but I think I've corrupted it by a previous improper power-off when I couldn't see the password characters going up on screen as I typed them.
Duh! Embarassed
I didn't know at that time that they are NEVER displayed, and that is by design.

See on page 13, Woodenshoe explains how to make Puppy to boot

/ L
dancytron

PostPosted: Fri 03 May 2013, 18:58    Post subject:  

The kernel in SAP is obsolete and won't run on newer Pi's.

The easiest way to get Puppy on the Pi is to use Berryboot. Google for it.

There is another thread for it on here too.

As far as I know, there is no way to get flash to run on the Pi, no matter what OS you use.
Sylvander

PostPosted: Sat 04 May 2013, 06:00    Post subject:  

WOOHOO! Very Happy
Berryboot is brilliant! Very Happy
So easy to do, and works really well.
I used it to install Puppy and 1 other OS.
Puppy runs just fine.
Fills the screen.
Icons are a good size [I'd like to be able to see stuff OK from the far side of my livingroom].
May need to increase the size of text.

Thanks guys. Smile

BTW: How should I run Youtube videos on this Puppy?
Will Flashplayer install/run?

Edit: typing this from SAP for R-Pi...
Only some of the keys on the keyboard work [right-side keys don't]; don't know which keyboard to specify.
Flashplayer won't download/install using getflash...
Installed Gnash, but that seems to not work.
Iceweasel rather slow.
Zoom has enlarged Iceweasel display. Very Happy
Global increase of text size has improved matters here and there.
Some text is tiny. Sad e.g. In Xfe.
amj

PostPosted: Thu 09 May 2013, 13:51    Post subject:  

Has the Puppy for RPi initative expired?

When I first tried to buy a RPi in February 2012 I was told that the device was temporarily unavailable. In April I was allowed to put my name on a waiting list and in June I was allowed to place an order. The device was finally dispatched to me in December.

I experimented with the 'official' Debian for RPi, but of course what I really wanted was Puppy. Over a period of time I made several attempts at getting Alpha 4 up and running without even the slightest success. In addition to Debian I've been running Fedora and openELEC on my RPi. Fedora is less awful than Debian and openELEC is actually quite good (it more or less turns the RPi into a worthwhile purchase). But none of them are Puppy.

Although I've dived into this thread several times, it wasn't until a few days ago that I found the post from woodenshoe on page 13 that explains how to get alpha 4 to boot on an RPi version 2.

So OK, I've now managed to get Alpha 4 to boot up. I'm online and I can browse the web.

The instructions that woodenshoe gave come in two parts. Making changes to the boot partition of Alpha 4 is easy. Even my Win2000 system can do it. But the changes to the puppy partition are a different matter.

My Lucid Puppy 525 system can't mount the puppy partition on the SD card. It gives an error. My Mandriva system can recognise the puppy partition as ext4 but can't mount it. I tried running SolusOS from a live CD. It can mount the partition but SolusOS is a Debian derivative. It won't give me write access.

So my first question is: Is there a Puppy version that can mount the Alpha 4 puppy partition? If there is, I will happily download the iso file.

The next issue is: woodenshoe talks about switching kernels to 3.2.27. But the world has moved on. If you now download the rpi-firmware-master from https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware/archive/master.zip it does not contain the 3.2.27 kernel. It now seems to reference Kernel version 3.6.11.

My attempts at switching to Kernel version 3.6.11 have all collapsed ignominiously. Of course it's probably my fault. I'm not a Linux geek, just a hobbist who happens to love Puppy Linux.

So my second question is: Will there ever be a version 4.0.1 of the Alpha 4 img.xz file that incorporates the changes that woodenshoe described?. It would be a great help people like me who want to load Puppy on their version 2 RPi's.

As for an Alpha 5, I dont even dare ask the question.

Posted from my RPi running Alpha 4.
Page 15 of 17 [246 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: