Gnome 2.32 SFS.

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
Jejy69

Gnome 2.32 SFS.

#1 Post by Jejy69 »

Helloooo ! :)

This is the Gnome 2.32.1 SFS, used in the version "PetitPois"
It works on Slacko, I'll test on other distros.
It may needs a recent Puppy.

I do not put screenshot, you know what is it. :)

I will try to reduce the size, because it' not really light ( 195mo ).

SFS : https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnome232sfs/
MD5 : 95c4ba848902a848d55489aa7b5fa931

Administation softwares don't work ( Networks... )
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.

bark_bark_bark

#2 Post by bark_bark_bark »

wow thank you, this is a must have for any high-end PC using puppy.

peebee

Re: Gnome 2.32 SFS.

#3 Post by peebee »

Jejy69 wrote:Helloooo ! :)

This is the Gnome 2.32.1 SFS, used in the version "PetitPois"
Hi Jejy69

I've loaded your sfs onto a pristine frugal install of slacko.....

and all I've got is slacko with lots of extra menu items mixed in with the slacko puppy menu items.

I assume there's an xwin command needed to switch into Gnome - can you tell us what it is???

I think people really like what you are doing because you are giving us ready built good looking new puppies to try - not sure the sfs approach can do the same - certainly doesn't have the same impact as petit-pois.....

Thanks
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Jejy69

#4 Post by Jejy69 »

Hi !

I have forget the patch for gnome-panels ! You'll get an error if it is not installed.
http://e-nautia.com/disk/download.php?id=2378718

Ups Sorry for my inaccuracy.
To start gnome, type 'xwin gnome-session'
I think people really like what you are doing because you are giving us ready built good looking new puppies to try - not sure the sfs approach can do the same - certainly doesn't have the same impact as petit-pois.....
It is true that there is work after, as the menu.
For the menu, applications will be housed in 'other', but I can send an adequate menu.
I put the same menu in all derivatives. At the beginning, this was the lxde menu file. :)
Attachments
menu.pet
(1.9 KiB) Downloaded 845 times

starhawk

#5 Post by starhawk »

jejy69, I sent you a PM about this and you have not replied. I don't know if you just haven't seen it yet or what is going on, but:

I need the gnome-panels patch, and the link posted in this thread does not work.

Please fix!

-----
Alternatively, if someone else has that patch, and can upload it to (for example) datafilehost -- that would be great. Just post a link here, please.

Jejy69

#6 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello starhawk,

Sorry, my reaction is slow. 8)
I created a new package, attached to this post.

I hope you'll enjoy it.

Just for information, you can use mate, the equivalent of gnome 2.33 somehow. :wink:

starhawk

#7 Post by starhawk »

Your "slow reaction" is fine, jejy69 -- it is I who needs to learn patience!

Thank you for the patch file, and for the recommendation. I have downloaded the patch, and will be trying MATE out as well.

I have some... "environmental" concerns with MATE. It is popular with the group Anonymous (or so I have heard) with which I do not care to be associated. While I am glad for the (small) good that they do, but this is overshadowed quite dramatically by the mess that is created when they are doing things which are not good.

MATE --because of the plant of the same name-- also reminds me of cannabis, which I'd rather not think about at all. Tobacco (less bad than cannabis in several ways) was too much for my grandmother (she died of a thing called emphysema -- "ehmm fih ZEE muh" -- basically, her lungs were filled with bad substances because of forty years of very fashionable cigarettes, and eventually it overpowered even what doctors could do) and so I think that any sort of similar substance would do bad things to me -- and I also have no desire to associate myself with those who would think otherwise.

Even so, I will try MATE, and try to remember that it is only a thing which puts pictures on my screen -- not anything that is disagreeable by itself, even though it might be associated with disagreeable people and things, by some who probably have too little good information at the beginning of their assumptions and associations.

EDIT: ...and perhaps it is nothing more than myself making, as we say here, a mountain out of mole-hills -- that is, inflating that which is nothing into a Big Nothing. (Shakespeare would tell it as, "much ado about nothing".)

Jejy69

#8 Post by Jejy69 »

Glad I could help you :D

About Mate, I make no advertisement for anonymous :) . In fact, you teach me now they use it. It is true that mate, it's pretty strange as a name...

Cheers !
Last edited by Jejy69 on Fri 19 Apr 2013, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

Galbi

#9 Post by Galbi »

Thou this is going a bit Off Topic, I have something to say about mate, about yerba mate, the plant from which the infusion is made. I drink almost 1 lt of mate (the infusion) every day, and please, don't associate it with tobacco, coca nor something like that.
It's a healthy habit, mate has lots of mineral, specially potassium, so drinking mate you'll never have cramps.
I must confess that it's a bit addictive, but if you don't drink it, no abstinence syndrome or anything like that. Coffee it's more addictive.

If someone can make a .pet or .sfs of Mate (the desktop), I would certainly try it.
:D

Jejy69

#10 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello Galbi,

You're absolutely right! So I present my excuses. I did not want to seem as offensive.
In addition, we talk about something we do not know. It is the imagination and prejudices ...
Coffee it's more addictive.
:oops: Right.

This is the first time I met an amateur ( someone who knows and appreciate ) of this drink. Thank you for correcting my narrow view of this. :)

If you want to try Mate 1.5.5, you can get a SFS here :
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84611

Cheers !

Galbi

#11 Post by Galbi »

Thanks Jejy69 for the link, but unfortunately I coudn't drink Mate Desktop. In Slacko 533 does not work. Had to hunt for libffi and after that, only see a black screen with the mouse arrow.
:(

Jejy69

#12 Post by Jejy69 »

It's for Slacko 5.5 :/, I didn't make it for this 'ancient' version of Slacko.
I'm sorry. :?

Galbi

#13 Post by Galbi »

Well, now I have to download and test Slacko 5.5 and Mate.
:D

starhawk

#14 Post by starhawk »

I can't make MATE work with Slacko 55 *or* with Slacko 533. I get the same behavior in both. The screen flickers for a few seconds (a cursor appears as part of this, but only briefly) and then X crashes and I'm back at a prompt :(

See here --> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 355#699355

starhawk

#15 Post by starhawk »

GNOME doesn't work in either one, either :( icons aren't right and no tray or menu. This is in both Slacko 55 and 533.

Of note, I'm doing this on a 1gb flash drive, with 256mb savefile and all relevant PETs/SFSs installed. Boots fine until I add either GNOME or MATE... :(

Jejy69

#16 Post by Jejy69 »

Doesn't work ?... :(
Okay, start a JWM session, load SFS, open a terminal, and type "gnome-session".
Could you say me what's the result please ?

starhawk

#17 Post by starhawk »

GNOME attempts to start and generally makes a big mess of things.

Typing from bash (CTRL+ALT+BKSP out of the big mess) produces:

Code: Select all

# gnome-session
** (gnome-session:8085): WARNING **: Cannot open display:
#

starhawk

#18 Post by starhawk »

Pulled up PupSysInfo (part of PupControl) in JWM. This is in Slacko 533. Some lines that may be relevant (in the order they occur)...

Code: Select all

auth.crit gnome-keyring-daemon[7219]: GLib-GIO: Settings schema 'org.gnome.crypto.cache' is not installed
auth.crit gnome-keyring-daemon[7218]: GLib-GIO: Settings schema 'org.gnome.crypto.cache' is not installed
auth.crit gnome-keyring-daemon[7220]: GLib-GIO: Settings schema 'org.gnome.crypto.cache' is not installed
[...]
daemon.warn gnome-session[7086]: WARNING: Application 'gsettings-data-convert.desktop' failed to register before timeout
daemon.warn gnome-session[7086]: WARNING: Could not launch application 'xscreensaver.desktop': Unable to start application: Failed to execute child process "xscreensaver" (No such file or directory)
Hope that helps somehow.

Jejy69

#19 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello Starhawk,

You must upgrade Glib, but I'm not sure ?
I remember when I did 'PetitPois' ( what ridiculous name... ), I updated Glib.

starhawk

#20 Post by starhawk »

Isn't it that glibc is a major part of Puppy? I have always heard that an updated glibc will make Puppy very sick indeed, and not work.

Also I am using Upup Precise 382 (thread title I think calls it 3.8.3.1, but ISO is named 3.8.2...) for this. If you tell me how, I can report current glibc version.