No PCMCIA with 2.02 or 2.10 on Toshiba laptop

Using applications, configuring, problems
mscdex

No PCMCIA with 2.02 or 2.10 on Toshiba laptop

#1 Post by mscdex »

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 425CDS laptop that I've been trying to put to good use. I've tried a number of distros geared towards older machines, and have found that puppylinux runs pretty nice on it.

However, I'm having a problem with getting pcmcia to work at all. If I try to do a cardctl status or cardctl ident, I get this error: "open_sock(): no such device." There are no lights on on the wifi card that I have inserted. If it helps any, my pcmcia controller is ISA-based, not PCI-based.

Anyone have any idea what is causing this to happen?

Thanks in advance :)

fluxit

#2 Post by fluxit »

I have a Satellite Pro 420cds here. Try this:

Code: Select all

modprobe i82365
cardmgr

mscdex

#3 Post by mscdex »

fluxit wrote:I have a Satellite Pro 420cds here. Try this:

Code: Select all

modprobe i82365
cardmgr
Excellent, that worked! Thank you! :)

fluxit

#4 Post by fluxit »

You'll want to add those lines to /etc/rc.d/rc.local to have pcmcia after a reboot. In addition... I've found that modprobe apm allows the battery indicator wmpower to work, and shutdown to work normally(turn off the power automatically) with this laptop.

mscdex

#5 Post by mscdex »

Since you have a similar laptop, I need to ask: what mp3 player do you use? I tried XMMS on puppy and a number of other linux distros, and the sound is all choppy. An X-based mp3 player would be nice, but not necessary I suppose, as long as I can play mp3s efficiently one way or another :)

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

Try xhippo+lamip http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=10722
Simple gui uses less system resources.

Personally, I use xhippo + mpg321 to play mp3's. But lamip supports many other audio formats besides mp3.

fluxit

#7 Post by fluxit »

mscdex,

Which processor do you have? My Toshiba only has a P90 in it. It barely has enough horsepower to play mp3s with mpg123(i586 build) without skipping if I raise the priority. I only ever found one mp3 player for Windows that didn't skip. In any case, there isn't really enough cpu left to do anything else while an mp3 is playing on this machine. Just the added overhead of task switching is enough to cause a skip. On the other hand, I only have 40M ram. Swapping may be an issue here.

mscdex

#8 Post by mscdex »

fluxit wrote:mscdex,

Which processor do you have? My Toshiba only has a P90 in it. It barely has enough horsepower to play mp3s with mpg123(i586 build) without skipping if I raise the priority. I only ever found one mp3 player for Windows that didn't skip. In any case, there isn't really enough cpu left to do anything else while an mp3 is playing on this machine. Just the added overhead of task switching is enough to cause a skip. On the other hand, I only have 40M ram. Swapping may be an issue here.
Only a P100 with 40MB ram. I wasn't sure if I was the only one having issues like that or not. Mplayer works nice for the commandline, and the mplay ncurses frontend to mplayer works good too for the most part, except like you said, if you switch tasks or try to do anything else while it's playing.

Thanks for the information, at least I know it's something beyond the capabilities of the hardware, and not the OS/software.