font error? "{" looks like "("

Please post any bugs you have found
keenerd

font error? "{" looks like "("

#1 Post by keenerd »

Running 1.0.4 on a neomagic chipset (Xvesa drivers). Parentheses and curly brackets look the same. Specifically, the left curly { looks like the left paren (. The right pairs are all right. It sure gave me a surprise when I tried to config the JWM menu.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

I don't know what that has to do with the video chipset.

I run at 800x600, and Beaver and Leafpad both display those characters very clearly.
Maybe you have a font problem.

What resolution are you running at, what programs are you testing in?

keenerd

#3 Post by keenerd »

1024x768x16. I mention the chipset because I'm using Xvesa, and I've got many random display bugs. Like a small field of permanent distortion, and the command line has been replaced by solid blue on blue. Not likely, but the font could have been.... no, not likely.

It seems to only happen in Leafpad. No problem in other programs, but Leafpad does seem to be usng a different font. I haven't done anything with fonts, but I will check if it happens from a CD boot. Yes, it still happens when I boot from CD.

Making a screen shot.

Well what do you know. This is most interesting. It is a curly brace, but its too faint to be able to tell. It wasn't until I looked at the screenshot on a different computer (800x600x24) that I could even pick out the curly center part. The left brace is dimmer (?) than the right brace.

(edit from before, it was the .torsmorc file)
Attachments
font.gif
(4.66 KiB) Downloaded 1659 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

This is a display problem (can be devasting in programming)

m m m . . .

I am a fan of anti-aliased fonts which I believe Puppy is not using? Yes they are slower but more readable.

Gonna say something very easy to say but I wonder how feasible/worthwhile?
:oops:

Can they possibly be toggled for those with slower machines and those with extra oomph?

:roll:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Leafpad is a GTK2 app and the fonts are anti-aliased.

Beaver is a GTK1 app the fonts are not anti-aliased, so they will look sharper.

Probably with Leafpad you could change the font, but I don't know how. Or, you could change the size of the font, maybe that would clear it a bit.

keenerd

#6 Post by keenerd »

Just found a similar problem in Dillo. The left bracket's upright dissapears, and it looks very odd.

I will try those suggestions.
Attachments
font2.gif
(11.17 KiB) Downloaded 1596 times