Nicotine on 5.2

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
tubeguy

Nicotine on 5.2

#1 Post by tubeguy »

Soulseek fans, Nicotine runs on 5.2, here's what I did:

1-Install python from PPM
2-Get Nicotine source files here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/nicotine-plus/files/
3-Extract to ~/my-documents.
4-Go to folder you extracted to and set the file "setup.py" to be executable (right-click > file> permissions > yes)
5-Open console from folder and run "python setup.py install" (right-click in folder whitespace > window > terminal here)
6-Go to ~/.usr/bin and click the file "nicotine.py"

NOTES: I don't know if the devx sfs is needed or not for this. I always install it anyway, so I didn't try this without it.

The reason this even came up for me at all was because I went looking for an album and could not find it anywhere else. I was on the artist website with credit card in hand, and the store link was broken. So I checked the usual sources with no luck, then remembered SoulSeek from back in the day. A few minutes of Googling got me to the Nicotine page. I tried installing the debian deb and the ubuntu deb with no luck, finally decided to take a crack at compiling from source. Happily it was not the crazy convoluted process I expected, it was as simple as described above.
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

GustavoYz

#2 Post by GustavoYz »

Great news...
Does somebody try to listen contemporary music from non-famous composers? No edited material on this country (as not big audience :roll:).
Soulseek its the best program for find that kind of academical music that you can't find anywhere else for being too weird, too new, too abstract or simply unsellable to have any price.

Thanks for the news, the last time that i tried to compile Nicotine (back on LuPu 501 :D), it seems to work -after some troubles on compilation- but yet really 'buggy'.

Regards.

Dromeno

#3 Post by Dromeno »

I did what Tubeguy suggested but in Lucid Puppy 528005.

nicotine.py then ends up in /usr/local/bin, not ~/.usr/bin

but, more important, it won't start. This is the terminal output. What should I do now? In /usr/bin I have a glade and a glade-3 so I suppose glade is installed but Nicotine can not find it:

sh-4.1# nicotine.py
Tue 13:59 Nicotine supports "psyco", an inline optimizer for python code, you
can get it at http://sourceforge.net/projects/psyco/
di 13:59 Nicotine+ ondersteund een landcode-blokker, maar dat vereist een (GPL)
module genaamd 'GeoIP'. Je kunt het hier vinden: C bibliotheek:
http://www.maxmind.com/app/c Python bindings:
http://www.maxmind.com/app/python (de python bindings hebben de C
bibliotheek nodig)
di 13:59 Disabled UPnP support due to errors: Failed to import miniupnpc
module: No module named miniupnpc. Also: Failed to run upnpc binary:
Problem while executing command ['upnpc'] (1 of 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/bin/nicotine.py", line 286, in <module>
run()
File "/usr/local/bin/nicotine.py", line 270, in run
from pynicotine.gtkgui import frame
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pynicotine/gtkgui/frame.py", line 22, in <module>
import gtk, gtk.glade
ImportError: No module named glade

tubeguy

#4 Post by tubeguy »

Good luck...all that stuff is over my head, I was just lucky it worked for me and thought I should post about it- I'm guessing nicotine and puppy have both changed enough that the current nicotine would have a problem with lucid, but I'm not a developer just a lucky user. ;-)

Haven't thought about Soulseek in a while now!
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

Dromeno

#5 Post by Dromeno »

for the record: this nicotine plus approach does also work in Carolina rc4