How to setup VPN to get to my email?

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
AndyR

How to setup VPN to get to my email?

#1 Post by AndyR »

Hi guys, Sorry to start my very first post with a question / problem, but I am stuck here after nearly 8 hours of "messing" about, I hope somebody would be kind enough to give me some pointers please.

Scenario is this : My windows HDD's are pretty much dead with lots of I/O problems, so I am running Puppy from a flash drive (all good there) my issue is I need to set up a VPN in order to access the emails on my remote server using the SeaMonkey email client, I do not have a paid-for VPN service so I am trying to set up securitykiss without much success...

I have tried with OpenVPN, Gdadmin and Gpptp the securitykiss documentation is only for Ubuntu and refers to Linux network manager...

Can anybody please shed some light on what I need in order to get this working please or maybe suggest another free VPN service and utility to use with Puppy.

Thanks guys.

Dingo

securitykiss VPN setup

#2 Post by Dingo »

it is very simple setting up a vpn with securitykiss

- 1 = you need the openvpn certificates (you can download from your client area, once you logged in)

- go to DOWNLOAD TAB
- select iPhone & iPad
- press the download button download for GuizmOVPN Configuration (don't worry, it is a zip file containing all servers you have access with your plan)

- 2 = use openvpn certificates

- unzip the zip file downloaded in a folder
- select a zip file of server you want to connect and unzip (a folder will be created, if not, create by yourself a folder for all files extracted)
- go to into this folder (check that the ca.crt client.crt client.key config.conf are in the current working directory)
- finally, open a terminal window into this folder, and invoke openvpn executable

Code: Select all

openvpn config.conf
and ina couple of seconds your vpn will be up and working

I used in past securitykiss, and I been very satistied
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

AndyR

#3 Post by AndyR »

Ah right ! ... well to start with I was downloading the wrong files from securityKISS

Ok I followed your instructions and openvpn seems to be going though the motions and connecting on port 5353... then detecting inactivity after a short while and disconnecting followed by reconnecting again...

I checked my IP and it is still the one issued by my ISP...

I guess I have to instruct sea monkey to use this openvpn do I ? If so please could you instruct me on how to do that ?

If not then I must be doing something wrong... sorry I have never really done anything technical on Linux before and just not used to how to get all the "parts" to play nice with each other for want of a better way to describe it.

Thank you for your help so far, it is much appreciated friend :)

Dingo

#4 Post by Dingo »

AndyR wrote:Ok I followed your instructions and openvpn seems to be going though the motions and connecting on port 5353... then detecting inactivity after a short while and disconnecting followed by reconnecting again...
I noted that yesterday, for a couple of hours I was unable to connect to any securitykiss server, so I think there were problems. I tried today and I was able to connect. (I'm currently using the free plan and not all servers are constantly working, so I suggest, even if you have a paid plan, to try more than one server if you encounter problems)
AndyR wrote: I guess I have to instruct sea monkey to use this openvpn do I ? If so please could you instruct me on how to do that ?
once vpn is up and working, openvpn wraps all entering/exiting traffic from/to your computer in a tunnel, so, you no need to configure your browser if you leaved the default settings to DISCOVER AUTOMATICALLY PROXIES
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

AndyR

#5 Post by AndyR »

Ok so it is working but I won't know if it "really" is working until I find a stable server... hehe

Seems like securityKISS is not going to be a suitable solution for me then if one has to keep playing "hunt the working server" each time, that is a shame... as like you said it is an easy setup once you know how to do it...

2 more questions then (if you don't mind) when running the command openvpn config.conf what is the correct way to stop it ? just close the console window ?

And other question is how would I get this to load up automatically at start up ? I am guessing the Linux equivalent of some kind of batch file would be the way and place that in the startup directory?

I wonder what everybody else is using then with regards to a VPN ?

Thanks...

doblen

#6 Post by doblen »

I don't prefer free VPN; according to my old experience paid VPN is the best http://www.vpnanswers.com/download-best ... le-online/ for secured and encrypted internet connection with free online trials to check efficiency before buying.

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

This an advertisement? You a snake charmer? :D
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<