Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Oct 2014, 01:25
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Uninstalling Openbox from Slacko 5.5
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
PaulR

PostPosted: Sat 11 May 2013, 13:51    Post subject:  Uninstalling Openbox from Slacko 5.5  

Having dabbled with Openbox before I thought I'd give it a whirl on Puppy but it seems a little creaky so I'd like to remove it.

I uninstalled LXPanel as that was the panel I'd chosen in the 'Openbox with extras' package install but there's no option to uninstall Openbox itself (ie it doesn't appear in the list when I click the uninstall button in PPM) so I need to do it manually I guess Sad

Is there a list of files/locations generated during install or somewhere in the original package that I can examine? I'd prefer not to leave anything lying around!

TIA

Paul
musher0

PostPosted: Sat 11 May 2013, 14:34    Post subject:  

Hi, Paul.

Two possibilities here:

1) If you yourself have added openbox to slacko, there will be a mention of your install in the Puppy Package Manager (PPM). Launch the PPM, click on un-install, and then on openbox in the un-install list.

2)a) If it is the default window manager (I don't know since I haven't used a slacko in quite a while), use pfind with "openbox" as search parameter. It will give you a list of all "openbox" files. You can then remove them by hand using the "actions" sub-menu in pfind -> erase.

2)b) Also, you may want to look in /root/.packages/builtin for an "openbox" file (if it is a built-in version). All the files in that directory are actually lists of what is where for a particular program. It will be longer, you'll have to do it by hand, but you won't miss anything.

I hope this helps.

Best regards.

musher0

PaulR

PostPosted: Sat 11 May 2013, 15:19    Post subject:  

Thanks musher0.

Option 1 isn't possible (sorry if this wasn't clear in my original post)

2b is what I'd ideally like but it isn't a built-in package so 2a looks like the only option.

Although I wonder if I could download the package to somewhere else rather than installing it and see what's inside?

Regards,

Paul
simargl

PostPosted: Sat 11 May 2013, 16:48    Post subject:  

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 11:07; edited 1 time in total
`f00

PostPosted: Sat 11 May 2013, 18:27    Post subject:
Subject description: ..

@PaulR
Usually the summary of an installed dotpet is in ~/.packages/<name-of-package>.files - mostly ppm (Puppy Package Manager) does a fair job of uninstalling dotpets..

Unfortunately sometimes it doesn't and it destroys the summary as part of the process so you have little idea of where the remnants if any might be! This is one of the reasons I make a backup of the *.files summary just in case I'd like to check a ppm uninstall manually.

Sure, you can dl the package (make sure it's the same one) and rename (*.pet to *.tar.gz), then extract it or examine the archive with xarchive to see what's inside.

Caveat - some dotpets modify basic files as part of the install, if you have a backup savefile made prior to the install it's fairly easy to recover if necessary.

hth
PaulR

PostPosted: Sun 12 May 2013, 02:51    Post subject:  

Thanks simargl that will definitely help! Very Happy

Oh, hang on.. the file list is in ~/.packages as 'f00 says Embarassed

I figured that an install might well change some files as well as just adding new ones so eradicating it entirely will probably not be easy!

Ah well, this is the first instance of something going er, not quite right, I've experienced in Puppy so far which is pretty amazing.

I wonder why it didn't show up in PPM as uninstallable, I suppose it was something to do with the extra steps in installing the panel that confused things.

Thanks all for the help.

Paul
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: