Fatdog64-620 Final (17 April 2013) and 621 (9 May 2013)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gcmartin

#161 Post by gcmartin »

This is a repeat of an earlier question to the developers:

Thanks for the PETs you provide for video drivers that are both built-in as well as available via the PPM REPOs.

But, I cannot find anywhere a set of steps that we, Live media users, should use to installed the video PETs appropriately in the running system.

To rephrase an earlier post requesting understanding:
  • Is there a preliminary set of things that is recommended to be done, prior to installing a new video PET?
  • Or is the new Video PETs smart enough to manage its inserting into the system and survive across save-session reboots on the LIve media disc?
If this is already documented somewhere, I apologize as I have not found it for this version of FATDOG.

Any guidance would be helpful

Thanks in advance.

jamesbond

Re: JamesBond ask for additional info to assist in understanding

#162 Post by jamesbond »

gcmartin wrote:
jamesbond wrote:
gcmartin wrote:Again, the primary change, this time, was to NOT install all of the PETs required for this version to replace my older FATDOG520
What were the pets you installed that caused the startup to fail?
The attached Picture belows shows the FATDOG PETs installed and the servers listings. Remember: The servers were enabled and started before reboot with a save-session to the Live media.
Sorry gcmartin, I am unable to reproduce the problem.
I booted with a clean ISO, choose the multisession option, then I installed all the pets in your screenshot (except Google-Chrome and JavaRE - those are not in the official repo) using Package Manager. When done, I opened control panel and I enabled and started the Samba service. Then I clicked the "save session" button on the desktop, and the I rebooted, and when the computer finished rebooting I can see that the Samba service is up.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

fatdog

Fatdog64 621

#163 Post by fatdog »

Fatdog64 621 has been release. See first (or shall I say, second) post.
It is a bugfix release mainly for panning and eject problem (and a few other minor bugs); otherwise it has the same kernel and same browser version as 620.
While it is recommended for new users, existing 620 users who don't perceive any problems don't need to update.
-= The Fatdog Team (kirk, jamesbond, SFR and step) =-
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=794748#794748]Contributed Fatdog64 packages thread[/url]
This account is used for announcements only. Send PM directly to members' handle.

gcmartin

#164 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks for the follow-up.

Past post issues
I can only assume that the problem must be with using the Java PET and attempts with Chrome....which did work.

From this point on, I will stick with the Official Repo offerings to avoid troubles. Over the years, FATDOG has been very well behaved with little to no issues..

Current system
Since I restarted by installing SAMBA extras and save-session on reboot, I have not had the problems resurface. And, I have not installed the unofficial items as yet.

Question on a Google Voice PET
Iis this PET intended for the SeaMonkey browser?

Thanks

gcmartin

SAMBA in V621

#165 Post by gcmartin »

Using 621, the PPM has changed.

The SAMBA management tools are GONE from the screen (used to be called SAMBA extras for the built-in version of SAMBA). It appears that the intent was to remove the old SAMBA version reference.

Those management tools are necessary and they are not included in the built-in desktop.

Can the PPM be updated with the reference to the management tool's PET?

Here to help

gcmartin

#166 Post by gcmartin »

I have seen CDR-Tools in the PPM but, I also have noticed the versions of the tools that come with CDRecord as it is packaged in FATDOG..

Is CDR-Tools a separate package than whats included in FATDOG620/621? Or is there overlap?

Thanks in advance.

jamesbond

#167 Post by jamesbond »

gcmartin wrote:Thanks for the follow-up.
You are welcome.
Past post issues
I can only assume that the problem must be with using the Java PET and attempts with Chrome....which did work.

From this point on, I will stick with the Official Repo offerings to avoid troubles. Over the years, FATDOG has been very well behaved with little to no issues..
Fatdog's repo is limited, so this is unwise. What is wise to realise that foreign packages may cause problems and work towards solving them. If you are unsure you can always use Fatdog's sandbox. Or otherwise use a DVD+RW - if the foreign package doesn't work, just erase and start over again.
Question on a Google Voice PET
I'll leave that question to kirk.
gcmartin wrote:Using 621, the PPM has changed.

The SAMBA management tools are GONE from the screen (used to be called SAMBA extras for the built-in version of SAMBA). It appears that the intent was to remove the old SAMBA version reference.
That definitely is *not* the intent. The packages are still there, they have never been deleted. Even the packages for Fatdog64 600 are still there. Please check again.
gcmartin wrote:I have seen CDR-Tools in the PPM but, I also have noticed the versions of the tools that come with CDRecord as it is packaged in FATDOG..

Is CDR-Tools a separate package than whats included in FATDOG620/621? Or is there overlap?
The cdrtools package in the repo is the same as the one included in Fatdog 620/621. That package is made available for those who decided to stay with older version of Fatdogs. I also noticed from your pet list - again, the "gpart" package has now been included in the base ISO, so you don't need to install it again. The information on these new and updated packages are included in the Release Notes (also forum announcement) for every release.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

gcmartin

#168 Post by gcmartin »

jamesbond wrote:
gcmartin wrote:Using 621, the PPM has changed.

That definitely is *not* the intent. The packages are still there, they have never been deleted. Even the packages for Fatdog64 600 are still there. Please check again..
Thanks Jamesbond.

SAMBA version that is in 621 is version 3.6.12. There are no Management tools, the Extras, which is separated from SAMBA available for V3.6.12 This is what's causing my confusion. The version of SAMBA that is enclosed is stable and the references to the version of SAMBA that shipped with FATDOG 520 is confusing what our steps should be so that we have a 621 with appropriate management tools.

Hope that clarifies why I ask. I did use the PPM an checked all of the REPOs starting with Ibiblio for a V3.6.12 PET to add management but find none.

QUESTION
Should the REPO's reference be updated to reflect that the entry is really for the currently installed SAMBA?

That's why I ask.

Thanks for your guidance. This is really a truly fast distro.

Ted Dog

Delta file and bluray broken in 621

#169 Post by Ted Dog »

Here is a delta file between 620 to 621 wish I had this option.
also the 58byte difference isolinux.bin breaks bluray support on fully populated iso (22Gs) :(

well sorry cant post a 2Meg delta zip anymore :(

Caneri

#170 Post by Caneri »

Ted Dog,

If you need a spot to put your files there are a few of us that have servers/places

You are welcome to put files on puppylinux.ca if you wish..others will also offer space if you need large file access.

Welcome back Ted Dog...good to see you posting again.

On another note...has anyone seen Lobster of late?

Best,
Eric

To add: russoodle and smokey01 have servers running current...ask them as well as that's the point...access.
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

smokey01

#171 Post by smokey01 »

gcmartin

#172 Post by gcmartin »

THANKS Either the REPOs are updated or corrected. Thanks.

DrDeaf

#173 Post by DrDeaf »

gcmartin wrote: Question on a Google Voice PET
Hi. I didn't know we had a Google Voice PET. I am using 620 with the Google supplied Debian package. Works good here. Install, refresh, make calls:
google-talkplugin_current_amd64.deb
Hope that helps!
Cheers!

Ray MK

#174 Post by Ray MK »

JFYI - using FD621 now from DVD-rw and all seems good. Really like the boot splash screen - very helpful for newer users.
Will play a little more and post a report shortly.
Many thanks for an outstanding puppy - very best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

heywoodj

#175 Post by heywoodj »

I installed FD620 on a newish Lenovo G585 laptop (1.3 GHz, 2 GB). Although I've installed a bunch of Puppies on different machines over the past five years, this is my first 64 bit Puppy and also my first run-in with UEFI and Windows 8.

After messing with the boot order in UEFI, I managed to boot the CD. And after a couple of false starts in choosing boot options, figuring out the key management business and such (RTFM!!), I was up and running. It surprised me to find this machine uses 7(!) partitions for Windows 8.

Resizing the HDD through Win8 and partitioning with GParted, I added sda8(fat32) and sda9(ext4).(This "refurbished" machine was crippled with a non-functioning right button, so following the instructions required some work-arounds). A couple missteps later, I had a working installed(dual -boot) FatDog ! It boots and runs faster and isn't annoying like Win8. And I could tame the out-of-control touchpad with flSynclient unlike in Win8.

I have to admit this installation was the most intimidating one in a long time, dealing with UEFI and worrying about Borking the Win8 install and making it unbootable.

Regrettably, I probably won't keep this install because this is not my machine and since Linux sees all the partitions, a beginner could "accidentally" corrupt the Win8 files in the 7 partitions and the Gods of M$ will be very angry!

Also, I was looking for something with Japanese language support for my client. As I understand it, FatDogs since 600 are not based on Woof. I think between this, and being 64 bit, the choice of available .pets are limited -- for now.

I was aiming for something like Puppy 4.3.1JP which while I can boot from CD, but only if I go into UEFI and enable Legacy boot. Ironically, the machine seems to know when there is a 64 bit system CD (FatDog) and a 32 bit system CD. When booting in UEFI mode, it only recognizes the existence of the CD/DVD drive when there.is a 64 bit CD in it.

If I leave things in Legacy mode, I can't fully boot the installed FatDog -- it always hangs somewhere past wpagui, goes to a blank screen with an unblinking cursor.

So, I think my question is, will there be better language support in FatDog's near future, or is there a simple way to boot an older 32 bit system with language support in the Win8/UEFI type machines?

Right now, for example using FatDog and browsers to look at email with Japanese characters just shows rectangles. Is there a simple solution?

Thanks, HJ

edit: For what it's worth flSynclient crashes X when in Live-CD, when trying to set the top/bottom/left/right parameters. I've seen this before in an early version of Saluki. FlSynclient just crashes itself when setting the parameters on the installed FatDog.

Ray MK

#176 Post by Ray MK »

FD64-621-final
# uname -a
Linux fatdog64 3.8.6 #1 SMP Fri Apr 5 17:01:02 EDT 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 1784816 810936 973880 0 66272
-/+ buffers: 744664 1040152
Swap: 0 0 0
#

Mem: 812800K used, 972016K free, 0K shrd, 66476K buff, 550932K cached
CPU: 0.2% usr 0.2% sys 0.0% nic 99.4% idle 0.0% io 0.0% irq 0.0% sirq
Load average: 0.00 0.03 0.05 2/131 7873

Booting from DVD-rw on an E732 laptop. i3 proc. 2Gb ram. External LCD monitor.
Running very well.
Attachments
hardinfo_report.html.bz2
(6.81 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

gcmartin

#177 Post by gcmartin »

Ray MK wrote:FD64-621-final
# uname -a
Linux fatdog64 3.8.6 #1 SMP Fri Apr 5 17:01:02 EDT 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Running very well.
Hi Ray MK.

I noticed in your earlier post you share that you're running 621. But, your uname shows an earlier release of FATDOG.

My Live media multi-session 621 is showing this

Code: Select all

# uname -a
Linux FD621-Laptop 3.8.7 #1 SMP Fri Apr 12 20:11:22 EDT 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Hope this is helpful

gcmartin

"Quit Wireless" on WGA-GUI icon on the taskbar

#178 Post by gcmartin »

Running FATDOG 621 on Live media. Couple issues:

Issue #1
The GUI icon on the taskbar has a "Quit Wireless" selection.

If you have a wired connection AND a wireless connection on the same system (such as when using a laptop) and one clicks "Quit Wireless", the system will drop both the wired AND the wireless IP addresses from the active system. This causes any active LAN connections over the wired connection will be "hung".

Question
Is that its intended behavior? If so, should the selection be labeled something different?

Issue #2
After adding LVM PET to the system via PPM, the systems LVM, though see via pv/lv display, I cannot mount the LVM. Need guidance and a recommendation to have the LVM partition auto-started at boot time. Currently, I am booting the ...Multi... selection on the boot menu as it automatically accesses my save-session without need to type.

Thanks in advance for idea.
Attachments
Problem with WPA-GUI.png
Problem with WPA-GUI
(15.62 KiB) Downloaded 461 times
Current Package List.png
Packages added before last save-session reboot
(96.89 KiB) Downloaded 462 times

Ray MK

#179 Post by Ray MK »

FD64-621-final
# uname -a
Linux fatdog64-284 3.8.7 #1 SMP Fri Apr 12 20:11:22 EDT 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 1784816 584216 1200600 0 54012
-/+ buffers: 530204 1254612
Swap: 0 0 0
#
# top
Mem: 614284K used, 1170532K free, 0K shrd, 57928K buff, 447872K cached
CPU: 0.0% usr 0.0% sys 0.0% nic 99.8% idle 0.0% io 0.0% irq 0.0% sirq
Load average: 0.06 1.70 1.27 2/107 6196

Not sure what happened previously re: uname - got it right this time.
Luvly puppy - many thanks.

Gnuxo

#180 Post by Gnuxo »

I've tried to mount my e-reader but Fatdog won't detect it.
Even Calibre, *which I installed* doesn't detect it.

How do I get the ebook reader to be found?