Dpup Wheezy. Woof-CE built debian wheezy 7.2 packages used

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
OscarTalks

#341 Post by OscarTalks »

I am trying to produce a .PET of the latest NVIDIA legacy driver 173.14.37 for Dpup Wheezy and it all seems to work OK. I am just a little unsure about the post-install and post-uninstall processes.

On my nvidia GeForce FX 5200 computer, the only driver that loads (without tinkering) is nouveau. The nvidia .pet includes the .conf file that disables nouveau (which must be done) so after installation on reboot there is no driver to produce a desktop.

I have to type "xorgwizard" from prompt then select the nvidia driver (and a resolution) and then type "xwin" to get my desktop with the working nvidia driver. Not a major problem, these instructions appear in the prompt dialog, and hopefully it is something you would only have to do once.

Uninstallation restores the nouveau driver and old xorg.conf file, but again requires typing "rmmod nvidia" in prompt screen (or does it?). There is no nv driver so no need to try to restore that.

I have put pop-up messages in which explain and guide the user through this, but maybe someone knows of a smoother way of doing things. Can we avoid reboots or the need to type in prompt screen?

I'm not certain the xorgwizard is completely recognising all the right combinations of disabling drivers and/or rebooting.

Is there some other way to test acceleration / FPS without glxgears?

Nvidia 173.14.37 k3.5.2.Wheezy .pet
download = http://www1.datafilehost.com/d/e4013200
md5sum = a7204548b94b327009f824a4debaf159
Oscar in England

pemasu

#342 Post by pemasu »

Thank you OscarTalks. I have uploaded both of your posts suggested packages.

About pinstall.sh and postinstall.sh scripts. I think you get good idea what people have done before by downloading previous pets and check the contents. I suppose 01micko`s repos for Slacko is good library for studying. I dont have nvidia graphics so I cant recommend much.

I remember that Shinobar placed large postinstall script to the /root/Startup but I dont remember what it dit. Extracting those pets and checking would be the method I would use.

Satori

switched from Squeeze to Wheezy

#343 Post by Satori »

With the release of the 'official' debian 7 and your Dpup Wheezy use of it, I made the change-over for my personal production machines, which were using Dpup Squeeze.

There were no problems with installing the NVidia 319.17 drivers and all went well.

Chrome 26.0 is now able to run but I found that the youtube audio was extremely choppy and really annoying... after googling around, I found that the fix was to add a parameter
to the startup execution, of "--audio-buffer-size=2048". Apparently, this is a known problem for version 26, and now the sound is very smooth.

I see that there is no longer a cpu temperature on the system tray, and that the 'temptray' application from the repositories fails to start. For laptops, it's a neccessary tool.

I would like to see 'GTK-Youtube-Viewer" running under DPup Wheezy, but there seems to be a conflict that prevents it from starting.

The other applications I use, make heavy usage of OpenGL and the apps run pretty well. Altho one older app now fails with a GTK2.pm error, but the newer versions run ok.
I guess that's just progress for you.

Aside from the above minor wish list, I'm pretty happy with this distribution and feel confident that it will support the newer applications that will be coming down the line,
in the near future.

Thanks for your work.

pemasu

#344 Post by pemasu »

Thanks Satori. I add your find audio fix to the Chrome 26 postinstallation hack.
I tested google-chrome 26 and you were right. Hotel California sound was choppy. The fix was needed.

Gtk-youtube-viewer would be a bigger thing to get it working. It will need manual messing with perl .pm files. To add missing perl scripts to the package. I wont promise it soon, lol.

Here is working tempicon tray app as attachment. I have left some temp apps out to diminish memory usage. People with desktop comps usually dont need the temp info.
Attachments
tempiconsvg-0.19-i486.pet
(10.72 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
Last edited by pemasu on Sun 12 May 2013, 08:45, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#345 Post by pemasu »

gtk_youtube_viewer-3.0.2_precise.pet does work in Dpup Wheezy if you have devx sfs loaded. I havent tested it without devx sfs.

http://uploadingit.com/file/t2jhxvvneea ... recise.pet

anikin

#346 Post by anikin »

Hi pemasu,
fresh, first run.
Boot is OK, quick setup ... and I notice that sda1 is mounted. That's exclusively winxp territory and it's never been intruded (mounted on boot) before. All my puppies are on sdc1. Once the quick setup is done, sda1 magically unmounts itself.

Thank you very much for ppower. I'd like two things with it: 1) remove turbo mode from source. 2) compile and install it in another puppy (with acpi scripts from wheezy). I almost figured out how the turbo mode is invoked.
Attachments
firstboot.png
(8.44 KiB) Downloaded 1486 times

pemasu

#347 Post by pemasu »

Boot is OK, quick setup ... and I notice that sda1 is mounted.
I believe it is due to new fail safe graphics feature. /usr/sbin/quickset has new feature to save pupdesk.flg file, starting from this row:

Code: Select all

#130509 need to create pupdesk.flg before bring up gui window, with $XDRIVERSUCCESS stored in it, for xorgwizard-cli...
It might be that it creates that file somewhere from where to access it if hard reboot is needed. So the failed boot to desktop will be registered and at next boot the failsafe xorgwizard-cli will be launched without booting to the X and you can choose the graphics driver.

anikin

#348 Post by anikin »

Well, I don't mind pupdesk.flg being created in a partition where puppy resides. But I do very much mind my other partitions being sniffed in the process.

pemasu

#349 Post by pemasu »

Anikin. you should post about the feature to Barry`s blog.

Here is the snapshot of the desktop when the sda1 is mounted and the failsafe file has been created.

I believe that the failsafe feature is still under progress. Feedback would be noted by Barry K surely.

http://i.imgur.com/xLmN8G7.jpg

01micko

#350 Post by 01micko »

anikin wrote:Well, I don't mind pupdesk.flg being created in a partition where puppy resides. But I do very much mind my other partitions being sniffed in the process.
I tend to agree. It is a good idea but should ask the user if it's ok to make the file, especially for ntfs/fat. I won't be producing a pup with that enabled.
This is of course just my opinion and I will post to BK's blog.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Billtoo

Dpup Wheezy. Woof2 built debian wheezy packages based Puppy

#351 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to a 16gb SDHC card running on an Acer desktop
pc.
video-info-glx 1.5.3 Sun 12 May 2013 on Dpup Wheezy 3.5.2.7
Linux 3.5.2-dpup i686
2.0 VGA compatible controller:
Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller(rev18)
oem: Intel(R)Ironlake Desktop Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS
product:
Intel(R)Ironlake Desktop Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.12.4
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (507x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Desktop x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.5

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz
Core 0: @1200 1: @1200 2: @1200 3: @1200 MHz

# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
302 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.261 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.999 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.999 FPS
#
I installed several applications with ppm,
kdegames,vlc,mc,lxterminal,audacious,and more.
No problems at all so far, straight to the desktop on first boot and
everything working.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(54.8 KiB) Downloaded 1492 times

anikin

#352 Post by anikin »

pemasu wrote: I believe that the failsafe feature is still under progress. Feedback would be noted by Barry K surely
Barry has already responded to this in his blog: http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00226 and I'm glad he decided to re-implement pupdesk.flg in a different way. As I'm not registered there, I will briefly quote Barry and respectfully disagree with him on this account:
Barry wrote:Note also, pupdesk.flg only gets created/removed in PUPMODE=5. So it doesn't happen after installation, nor in full HD installation. In other words, it is a "one off" thing.
...to object to that is really being paranoid.
I have chosen to completely abandon the save file, which means my puppies will always be running in pupmode 5. That's exactly my "modus operandi", I'm condemned to it. And don't see the issue as a "one off" happening. As to being paranoid ... I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Last edited by anikin on Mon 13 May 2013, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#353 Post by pemasu »

'pupdesk.flg' redesigned
http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00238

When I get confirmation, that the revived method works, I will download new woof and update Dpup Wheezy to use it. There has been a lot other woof fixes due to frenzy Precise Puppy development.

don570

wacon tablet driver for latest Wheezy

#354 Post by don570 »

I compiled a Wacom tablet driver for latest Wheezy

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 362#703362

don570

#355 Post by don570 »

I compiled Gimp2.8.4 in Wheezy and dicovered that the app would
run in Precise, Raring and Slacko as well, but it was substantially bigger.

The opposite isn't true i.e. an app compiled in Precise won't run in Wheezy.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 374#703374

pemasu

#356 Post by pemasu »

Thanks don570. Your gimp pet and sfs needed some finetuning. Some missing libs which I add. Also that wheezy compiled but precise named sfs had older version of gimp libs inside. You should look at it.

All above has been uploaded to the repo after finetuning.

Thanks.

don570

#357 Post by don570 »

Should /usr/bin/strippkg be in devx package?

pemasu

#358 Post by pemasu »

Yep. I have moved strippkg and splitpkg to the devx sfs now. Thanks.

anikin

#359 Post by anikin »

Barry wrote:Posted on 14 May 2013, 8:56 by BarryK
Re pupdesk.flg alternatives
I was thinking that if the user enters the boot parameters:

puppy pfix=ram
or
puppy pfix=nox

Then 'pupdesk.flg' will not be created, ie that mechanism will be disabled.

That would be a compromise. So, if someone needs to do repair/recovery off a HD and don't want to write anything to it, then those options will do it.
Such a compromise would perfectly fit not only my "saveless" puppy layout. Think also of all those who remaster their stock releases into kiosk/appliance/embedded puppies.

musher0

#360 Post by musher0 »

Hello, pemasu.

I tried 3.5.2.7 version and saw no visible changes, except for the more complex/complicated xorgwizard... One positive aspect: update of my pup_save file was a cinch.

That said, following your lead in a message above, I removed the diagnostics "set -xe" commands manually in some /etc scripts in 3.5.2.5, and that produced satisfactory results in its xerrs.log.

So, I'm sticking with WheezyPup 3.5.3.5 until more substantial changes are made.

Best regards.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)