Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 28 Nov 2014, 08:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Advice for a newbie to Fluxbox?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
rmcellig

PostPosted: Mon 13 May 2013, 15:39    Post subject:  Advice for a newbie to Fluxbox?  

I am going to see if I can figure out how to use Fluxbox. It seems pretty daunting when you have to edit config files but I'm sure I can figure it out. Is there a step by step guide to fluxbox config that is puppy centric and pretty easy to follow?

I also heard of a graphical way of doing the configs as well called Fluxconf. Is there a pup version? Am I better of sticking with configuring with a text editor?

One thing I like about openbox is that I easily figured out how to increase the size of the main menu by using the Obconfig tool. I'm hoping there is something similar in Fluxbox.
`f00

PostPosted: Tue 14 May 2013, 18:12    Post subject:
Subject description: features and differences

advice=one-step-at-a-time Laughing

0) - Decide what features you'd like. For example, if you want icons in the menu you'd do well to use a fluxbox version (even if it's not the most recent!) compiled with imlib2 support.

1) - 'Size' of menu is related to font used in the fluxbox style (like blackbox) rather than global font settings as openbox uses in obconf.

2) - Configuration .. yep, one of the joys of fluxbox. Usually it's a whole section of submenus in the base part of the rootmenu covering lots of settings for the elements (that's the gui). Most are easy to figure out but some you just have to try and see Wink A few (like startfluxbox if you use it, or modifying styles for font-size) you need to edit by hand in a text editor if you want to change things (see the basic files in ~/.fluxbox).

3) - Nifty stuff. Flux' can remember settings for app/windows, has context menus for open apps in the client (mid-click) menu, pseudo-transparency for elements (menus, active/nonactive windows, taskbar and so on). Plus other stuff like tabbing windows (pekwm does this also).

It's a bit of a go, but well worth it in my opinion.
Good Luck & Have Fun
rmcellig

PostPosted: Tue 14 May 2013, 18:24    Post subject:  

Hey foo!

Excellent advice. I'll see how things go Smile
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: